Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Daito ryu & Bukiwaza/Emonodori

PaoloV Guest

Default Daito Ryu and weapons

I understand some branches of Daito Ryu include weapons training and some don't. For those of you that belong to the latter and train in weapons, are most of you getting it from a Japanese art such as kenjutsu, iaido, or jodo? Or from a non-Japanese art such as eskrima/arnis?

Thanks,
    Paolo

Likes (received)

I answer here because no-one else has answered this yet for some reason. I know only superficially what is done - someone who is actually doing this stuff could elaborate.

It is my understanding that in many places Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu is trained adjunctly with Ono-ha Itto-ryu kenjutsu. However Ono-ha Itto-ryu trained "within" Daito-ryu aikijujutsu is not the same as the mainline Ono-ha Itto-ryu, but a separate line.

Ono-ha Itto-ryu has a multitude of traditional japanese weapons that are taught. Unarmed defense against these weapons is however taught in Daito-ryu aikijujutsu as well.

I am not aware of any groups who would have something else as weapons training than Ono-ha Itto-ryu.

But please, do not take this as how things exactly are, since I'm just an outside observer with very limited experience.

PaoloV Guest

I myself only recently joined our Daito Ryu group.

I understand the Daito Ryu people under Kondo Katsuyuki's branch and some other branches practice Ono-ha Itto Ryu kenjutsu. But not all Daito Ryu branches. Our group is one of those that do not do Ono-ha Itto Ryu. When we do cover a weapon in class (so far, I've seen rope work and a tiny bit of knife), it's usually from someone's background outside of Daito Ryu.

Just wondering if any other Daito Ryu people have studied or concurrently study a non-Japanese weapon art and if so how that weapon study affected their own Daito Ryu movements. Some folks in our group do a little Filipino kali on the side.

Paolo

Dan Harden Guest

I have found that the linear movements in a classical sword art I do went hand in hand with Daito ryu. But I remain distinctly unimpressed with Japanese knife work (I have seen) as opposed to the more modern forms and would stay away from it. Movements with a knife based on joint swivels, evasions, entering and trapping work well within a DR framework as well.
    If you are talking Daito ryu...Daito ryu is not all the same, neither are the people who do or have done it. Adding sword work or not may do little if anything to enhance an adepts abilities. Some of the best in the world do not do sword. Most if not all of the best freestyle fighters in the world have never studied sword.
    I happen to love it and have found _tremendous_ relevancy. How YOU may be able to "see and understand" weapons use in a body art (or not) may have more bearing than any other single factor. In other words -not everyone "gets it" regardless of what they do and who they do it with. Any time spent in a dojo with myriad people will prove that out.

Your mileage may vary- ask your teacher
    Good luck and have fun
    Dan

Likes (received)

Out of curiosity, does Daito ryu traditionally have it's OWN weapons kata within it anywhere?

Jon Gillespie
    Jon Gillespie

Likes (received)

Listed in the oldest densho that we have from Sokaku Takeda are a set of kata called Nito ryu (two sword tech.) - I, however, have not seen these kata, nor do I know much about it. Regardless, DR is almost exclusively a jujutsu/aikijujutsu art form, even if some of the curriculum has a foundation in Ono-ha itto ryu.

Best regards,

Arman Partamian
    Daito ryu Study Group (mainline)
    Maryland

Likes (received)

Thanks for the reply! So if I ever see any DR practitioners with spear it must be Ono ha then.
    Jon Gillespie
    Jon Gillespie

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 10th June 2014 at 23:38.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Default branches that teach sojutsu?

Do any of the DR branches still teach the spear and other weapons, it would be sad to see the buki waza of Sokaku Takeda fade away. That would be a discredit to the leaders of the DR community.
    Erin O'Neill

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 10th June 2014 at 23:38.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Default Daito Ryu and weapons

I have only just started Daito Ryu training in the last week, but when our sensei gave us a brief introduction, I believe he indicated that the very basis of the system is the sword - or daito. Even the unarmed techniques if I understood correctly don't fall too far from those roots.

Is that different from your understanding?
    Joseph Dostie

Likes (received)

Default Misunderstood

I misunderstood. The name Daito Ryu has nothing to do with the sword. However, the movements, etc. are linked to the use of the sword. In other words, the principles of movement work the same weather holding a weapon or not. Our teacher tells us to think of the weapons as extensions, and he has shown us how some of the movements look both with and without a weapon.

I think that is the basis - if I (hopefully) now understand correctly.
    Joseph Dostie