Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Choosing stick length (ASP or baton)

Likes (received)

Question Choosing stick length (ASP or baton)

I am going to be buying a collasible baton this week and noticed that it ranges from 21-28 inches. How do you select the length or is it just mainly personal choice? Thanks ahead of time
    "Hard won, buy easy lost. True karate does not stay where it is not being used."

Dan Hall Guest

Actually, you can get the ASP anywhere from 16" (about $50) to 31" (about $65) -- give or take. Most cops I've know have been issued the 21" baton, but they seem to prefer the 26" model. You've got to figure that the 21" model is about 8" closed, while the 26" model is closer to 10" closed, and there's a weight difference. Those two extra inches could make a world of difference if you're carrying it vertically on your belt (such as jabbing into your ribs). They do make a carrier for the ASP that rotates, so you could carry the ASP horizontally. For a taller person, the 26" makes more sense, but for someone smaller, the 21" is probably more appropriate. I don't know who'd carry the 16" one or the 31" one. Those are both kind of extreme.

--Dan Hall

Likes (received)

I got the 16" airweight to carry in plain clothes. It fits nicely in the pocket of a sport coat without pulling it out of shape. I wasn't happy with the baton in the end. It stuck open. They've changed the finish on the newer models though.
    joe yang, the three edged sword of truth

"Not going to be fooled by you again Joe Yang's right you are evil and self-serving." Haiyomi

"Give my regards to joe yang. very intelligent man." Sojobow

Likes (received)

Default Longer Baton

Originally posted by Dan Hall
    Actually, you can get the ASP anywhere from 16" (about $50) to 31" (about $65) -- give or take. Most cops I've know have been issued the 21" baton, but they seem to prefer the 26" model. You've got to figure that the 21" model is about 8" closed, while the 26" model is closer to 10" closed, and there's a weight difference. Those two extra inches could make a world of difference if you're carrying it vertically on your belt (such as jabbing into your ribs). They do make a carrier for the ASP that rotates, so you could carry the ASP horizontally. For a taller person, the 26" makes more sense, but for someone smaller, the 21" is probably more appropriate. I don't know who'd carry the 16" one or the 31" one. Those are both kind of extreme.

--Dan Hall
    The 31" baton is better if you like to use the baton for entanglements. Also, if you are strong it gives quite a lot of momentum. But the 26" one is the faster to use while still giving good power. The short guy I would recommend only for those who just aren't strong enough to wield the 26" model. And if you use that one you had better have good, rapid fire technique becsue it doesn't have the bang the longer models give.
    George S. Ledyard
    Aikido Eastside
    Defensive Tactics Options
    Bellevue, WA

Likes (received)

In Great Britain you will find that most expandable batons issued to Police and other law enforcement personnel are 26". My employer generally issues the 24" baton to female officers and I know of several that have returned it and taken out a 26" baton instead.

In my experience and opinion the baton is used as a "deterrent". drawing and racking the baton usually persuades the offender/ aggressor to "come quietly". A longer baton is more useful here as it is more visible (combined with a bright chrome finish aswell).

The 26" is also a good length and I have used longer batons in training and have found that any more than the 26" can get cumbersome (you are getting more into the use of a staff then) - covert rigs these days are well made and allow this type of baton to be carrying comfortable and discreetly.
    Jeffrey W. Goodwin.

"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down".
    Yagyu Munenori (1571 - 1646)
    Samurai & bodyguard to the Shogun.