Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu gasshuku

Likes (received)

Default Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu gasshuku

Over the Labor Day weekend I was in San Diego to attend the 5th Annual Gasshuku Special Celebration with Honored Guest Miura Takeyuki Hirefusa, Hanshi 20th Grandmaster of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai-jutsu. During the event Masayuki Shimabukuro Sensei was promoted to 8th dan by Miura Sensei and Carl Long Sensei was promoter to 5th dan. Miura Sensei is a gentleman of the first class and a pleasure to be around. The delegation he brought with him form Osaka were helpful and friendly, even if dinner did pose a problem as I speak little Japanese and they speak no English, but a good time was had by all. It was an honor to be asked to sit at the head table with such distinguished people, and the energy of Muria Sensei at 80 years old is something to behold. Congratulations to both Shimabukuro Sensei and Long Sensei.

Dennis Hooker
    http://www.shindai.com
    shindai@hotmail.com
    Dennis Hooker
    www.shindai.com

Likes (received)

Mr. Hooker,

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing that with us!

Jeff Cook
    Wabujitsu

Likes (received)

Sensei Hooker,
    I'm glad you had a good time! The planning of this event was long and many people behind the scenes sacrificed alot of their time to help pull this off. Your kind words mean alot to us - thank you! We at the Jikishin-Kai were honored to be hosts for such honored visitors and guests.

The whole event was a treat for me as well and while things started off a bit stiff and formal, by the time Miura Sensei and our guests left for Japan, we all felt closer and I felt an indescribable bond of "family".

While I, too, understood very little of what Miura Sensei was "saying" I could *feel* the depth of his spirit behind his words (and the sparkle in his eyes and the small cracks of an occassional smile as well) - a true master of his art!

And those pictures of him cutting!! Aiiiyyoooo! Astonishing! I will be sure to scan them soon to share.

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed your aikido demonstration at the enbu on Sunday! What a treat to watch your skill!

Again, congratulations to Shimabukuro Sensei and Long Sensei!

Arigato gozaimashita,
    Erik Tracy
    Jikishin-Kai, International