Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Japanese words for body parts

Likes (received)

Default Japanese words for body parts

Could somebody post a list of translations for common parts of the body? I know several, and sure I could look the rest up, but figured maybe somebody else might benefit from a list online. Plus I'm lazy.
    Ric Flinn

Likes (received)

Smile

Hi Ric,
    Here`s a list that I have.

EYE= ME
    HEAD= ATAMA
    EAR= MIMI
    NOSE= HANA
    TEETH= HA
    TONGUE= SHITA
    NECK= KUBI
    THROAT= NODO
    SHOULDER= KATA
    CHEST= MUNE / MUNA`ITA
    BREAST= MUNE / CHIBUSA
    BACK= SENSAKA
    LOWER BACK= KOSHI
    ARM= UDE
    ELBOW= HIJI
    WRIST= TEKUBI
    HAND= TE
    FINGER= YUBI
    RIB= ABARA
    STOMACH= ONAKA
    BUTTOCKS= OSHIRI
    ANUS= KOOMON
    THIGH= FUTO-MOMO
    KNEE= HIZA
    SHIN= SUNE
    LEG= ASHI
    CALF= FUKURAHAGI
    ANKLE= ASHIKUBI
    FOOT= ASHI
    TOE= TSUMASAKI
    GENITALS= SEKI
    VAGINA= JOSEKI
    PENIS= DANSEKI

Hope this helps.
    yours
    Brian Carpenter
    Dojo Cho
    GWNBF/KJJR UK KOMORI DOJO
    WORLD MATE SHINTO MEMBER

Likes (received)

Red face

Yobina,
    Thanks for the corrections. Sorry for the spelling error I had my Chinko in hand thinking of Manko

yours
    Brian Carpenter
    Dojo Cho
    WORLD MATE SHINTO MEMBER

Likes (received)

Please note that there is one word that you absolutely cannot say on television and/or print in the newspapers, and it is yobina's colloquial word for female anatomy.
    Don't underestimate this word; you really can say anything on tv but this one word will at best get you looked at VERY strangely, at worst get your ass beat down.
    Remember: the key to Japanese is context and pronunciation, which is why you can say 'kuso' on tv and get away with it, but this one word is a definite NG!

Regards,
    renfield kuroda

Likes (received)

That's for sure. Andrew, you might better delineate those lexical items as being 'vulgar' (read that extremely vulgar) rather than 'colloquial'. As Renfield suggested, they are best left out of your linguistic currency.
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

I would like to add a few yens worth by saying that bad language in Japanese has a different context. To me it has been a little frustrating. Especialy when someone rams your car and all you seem to have in your vocabulary is to call him/her a fool.

A lot of our very imaginative English expressions just do not translate.

If you wanted to tell someone to go ???k themselves you would more likely get a look of puzzlement rather than it have its desired effect as its something one woild have difficulty in doing. You can say it in English too but people think its funny. The general translation in the Japanese text at the bottom of movies for any really bad stuff is just "Kuso".

There are alternative phrases I use but I am not going to let anyone in on those!

I think my most used word is "Segarashika"
    (No it does not mean someone likely to play a Sega game)

I get rather ?issed off with unwanted comments sometimes.

The guy next to me keeps complaining that I am "too big". Sometimes you really need to tell people to shut the hell up!

Hyakutake Colin
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Red face

If the words are that vulgur I`m sorry for using them in my post, and hope that they don`t offend to many people. I apologize in advance.

yours
    Brian Carpenter
    Dojo Cho
    WORLD MATE SHINTO MEMBER

Likes (received)

This reminds me of a funny story. After a seminar a while back, a friend of mine went to dinner/drinks with a group of all-Western students and the Japanese sensei. The sensei has a good but rather unusual sense of humor; when drinks were served he was asked to give a toast, and, being with all Westerners, he raised his glass and said "Chinchin!" and everybody followed. The sensei was embarassed when he remembered my friend could speak Japanese.
    Ric Flinn

Striking Hand Guest

I saw this in todays Japan times:
    Link to the full article is below.

"Rising Sun," Michael Crichton's bestselling novel, was one such book.

For those of you who missed this gem, it portrayed Japanese business investment in the U.S. as an insidious and sometimes murderous conspiracy. Crichton angrily rebuffed accusations of racism, but I felt his book was inflammatory and one sided.

The 1993 film starring Sean Connery, Wesley Snipes and Harvey Keitel didn't exactly win rave reviews. Rottentomatoes.com, a film review site, accords this work a remarkably low 0 percent recommendation.

I happened to attend the first preview screening here. Sitting in a theater full of Japanese who were about to watch Japan get bashed in an American film, I felt more than a little uncomfortable.

About 20 minutes or so into the film, Sean Connery visits the research facility of a major Japanese electronics firm based in southern California.

As he walks past an immaculately sculpted garden, a sign bearing the company's name, "Hamaguri Corporation," comes into view.

At this point, giggles began to emerge from the audience, which soon grew into chortles, guffaws, and finally uproarious laughter.

Hamaguri, which is a type of shellfish, is an unlikely name for a corporation: it does happen to be a familiar euphemism for the female reproductive organ.
    [URL=http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?fl20030513zg.htm[/URL]