Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question from a Jujitu newbie

Likes (received)

Question Question from a Jujitu newbie

This question was posted in other martial arts forum.

[Quote]
    "For the past 9 months I’ve been studying a style of jujitsu called Yoshitsune, which I understand was derived from Hakko Ryu. It is my first and only experience with a martial art of any kind.

I’m trying to learn as much as possible about jujitsu in general. Because this is all so new to me, I haven't had a lot of first hand exposure to other styles. I have seen some Miyama Ryu, as well as some jujitsu-related arts like judo and aikido. Basically I'd like to get some opinions and insights from practitioners of other styles. Here are some questions for anyone who might like to respond:

1. What are the principles that all styles of jujitsu have in common?
    2. How do some of the major styles differ from one another?
    3. What would you say are the major strengths and weaknesses of jujitsu?
    4. Generally speaking how whold you rate the utility of jujitsu as a self-defense art?
    5. What would be some good arts one could study to compliment the shortcomings of jujitsu?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mr. M.

[Quote]

I directed him to this forum but he doesn't want to reveal his real name in the internet so he asked me to post his question. I'm also quite interested in what jujitu practioner have to say about this questions.

Thaks in advance for your replies.
    -Youji Hajime.

Engrish does not mine strong point

Gene Williams Guest

Jeez, tell him to go to the library if he can't tell us who he is. We are not a medium for every paranoid geek out there. Gene

Likes (received)

According to him, he know someone who got into some trouble by revealing real name.

I have a suspicion that his friend might be this guy.

http://www.krak.net/~bacon/hahaha.jpg
    -Youji Hajime.

Likes (received)

These questions really are too generic to give good answers to, I would suggest that you try and be a little more specific and you may get more responses.

But to try and answer them generally...

Basically, all jujutsu styles will have joint locks and some throws or takedowns. The general priciple is to unbalance your opponent and then apply a technique.

Way too broad a question, essentially the differences are in the philosophy, in the application of the technique, in the types and numbers of techniques, and in the way they are taught.

Major strength, you have a wide range of possible responses and can scale the defence from avoidance to serious injury or death.
    major weakness, takes a long time to learn properly.

4. Generally speaking how whold you rate the utility of jujitsu as a self-defense art?
    Depends on the style, student and the instructor, it can be very, very good, or it can be very bad.

5. What would be some good arts one could study to compliment the shortcomings of jujitsu?
    What shortcomings? I travel a lot so I studied some Karate (Ashihara & Shotokan) to supplement my punching and kicking, I also trained with a boxer to build my speed. I practise Shindo Muso Ryu for weapons work and some Arnis for close in knife fighting.

But I wouldn't recommend training in multiple styles, learn one well first, then look for something else if you feel it is required. I did nothing but jujutsu for 8 years before I was forced to look at something else when I moved away from my sensei, but I still made the effort to return regularly so that I wasn't corrupting what I knew with what I was learning.

Regards

Neil
    Neil Hawkins
    "The one thing that must be learnt but
    cannot be taught is understanding"

wab25 Guest

I study Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. ( for about 6 years ) I agree with the previous posts, but thought I would add my 2 cents.

They all have 'Ju' in common. Ju can be defined as being gentle. We learn to go with the attack, not stop it with force, and add a little to it. A little throw, arm lock, strike... If you are presented with a straight punch, you redirect it just enough to miss you while at the same time adding just enough force to the punch that your attacker is off balance, leaning towards you. It is then your choice to throw, lock or strike depending on what you want to accomplish. This position of advantage is set up by Ju.

They only differ in strategy and emphasis. Some styles study throwing, others groundwork, others striking, others yawara....

The major strength would be the Ju I mentioned earlier. Using the idea of Ju correctly, you will set up situations where you can throw or take down the attacker. Of coarse, these same positions are also excellent positions for you to strike from. If you have someone leaning forward into your punch, its going to impact much harder. If he is off-balance, he has to recover his balance to block or counter.
    The major weakness would be you, as one who is practicing, jujitsu. The effectiveness of any MA, is based entirely on the person studying it. In studying MA, we first recognize, that we can and need to improve ourselves, in at least our ability to defend. Our effectiveness is then based on how we train, who we train with and how often we train. I have a guitar, and can play a few chords. A friend came over and plays really incredible music, on my guitar. Is it the guitar that is less effective, or is it the musician?

Very good. A lot of what the military and law enforcement teaches and uses, is jujitsu. If you look up the heads of the different styles of jujitsu, many of them have helped develop combat systems for the police and military. ( even special ops ) The reason is that jujitsu is very effective for self defense.

Get your black belt first. My first sensei said, get your black belt first, then go look somewhere else. Everything before black belt is foundation, the basics. Black belt is the beginning. In order to learn a MA, you have to be able to do certain basic things, you have to have a foundation. Once you have that foundation, then you can start to learn the system. Every system karate to jujitsu has a slightly different foundation, but it has a foundation. The strength of the MA depends on its foundation. People who train in one MA for a while, then another, then another, never get a foundation. They may get lucky with a technique every once in a while, but the power of MA lies in the foundation, not the technique. It is the foundation, that establishes the strategy and principles of that MA. It is the strategy and principles that are used on the street, the foundation. Having that foundation, you can move around to different systems, looking for more, or different or whatever, but you will have a place to put it. So get your foundation first, in Jujitsu, karate TKD whatever before adding to it. ( also, don't kid yourself that you have the foundation of a system after only a year or so. Many people have such missconceptions, and never learn how much they are missing )

Anyway, I hope you enjoy jujitsu, it has a lot to offer.

Likes (received)

Thanks.
    -Youji Hajime.