Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nakamura Taizaburo (Nakamura-ryu)

Likes (received)

Default Nakamura Taizaburo Dead, Aged 92

I was just informed by sources in Japan that Nakamura Taizaburo sensei died in his sleep today.

Sensei had been involved in swordsmanship since he was 15 and was well-known and controversial -- yet respected -- in iaido, jukendo, and kendo circles. Nakamura sensei was the last surviving army fencing instructor of the Toyama Military Academy, and the last of the three major post-war Toyama Ryu teachers.

His leadership will be sorely missed.

Sadness cannot express my feelings at this time.
    Guy Power
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

My condolances, Mr. Power. I hope his association and students will cary on his legacy.

Ron Tisdale

Likes (received)

Default So sorry.

Guy-san,
    My condolences. I never had the pleasure of meeting Nakamura Sensei, but have read some of the excerpts from his writings that you have shared with us here and I have enjoyed them immensely.

One can sense through the respect and honor you and others had for him as their instructor that we, the sword-art community, have lost someone of great value and heart.

Respectfully,
    Erik Tracy

Likes (received)

Unhappy

I am not sure what to say. I feel EXTREMELY fortunate to have had an audience with Nakamura Sensei, his daughter and Roberto last November. His contributions to the art of the sword will be flet for many many years. I know his spirit will live on through his students.

Tom Smyth

Gojudude

Likes (received)

God bless, Guy, and everyone else involved with this man's legacy. Wow, is all I can say.
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

Default My condolences

Guy,

My heartfelt sympathies to you for the loss of your teacher. I know you were close to him.

Sincerely,
    --Neil Melancon--

Likes (received)

Default A true loss!

This is a true loss for those involved in swordwork/study. Did he name a designated heir to his art? I wish his students and family all the best.
    Erin O'Neill

Likes (received)

I'm sorry to hear that Sensei passed. He had a long life and left a great legacy with his students of his life in budo. My condolences to his family and students.

Likes (received)

Default Nakamura Sensei

It is with great sadness that I write this post after finding out from Guy that Nakamura sensei has passed away at the age of 92 ˝.
    I was extremely fortunate to be with Tom Smyth and our friend Siri from our Machida dojo when we made the run to Tsurumi.
    When we got there my friend Roberto met us at the train station. Roberto is Nakamura sensei’s student and right hand. He informed us that sensei was in the hospital having some routine pacemaker adjustments done and hadn’t been feeling well. He said that sensei insisted that he bring us to the hospital as regardless of how he felt. He had an obligation to meet the Americans (Tom and I) that came all that way to see him.
    We arrived at the hospital and upon exiting the elevator we saw an elderly man sitting in a wheelchair that looked as though he was in a very deep sleep. Roberto san spoke in sensei’s ear and told him that we were there. The next thing that I heard was this loud and powerful shrike calling us to him. It was Nakamura sensei. He was awake and full of vigor. We walked over to him and sat our swords down and had Roberto san introduce us one by one. With each handshake and bow you could see the man come alive more and more every minute.
    We talked about different styles that we had all studied and waza that was used. He mentioned to me that he studied a certain ryuha for 70yrs. And then quit doing it because he had finally realized that it didn’t work. He told us stories of training and how much he enjoyed teaching foreigners. When I asked him why he enjoyed teaching frontiers so much, he replied in this low deep voice “Because they have much kokoro”.
    He then wanted to see our swords and I showed him my Howard Clark 1086M.
    I have a picture holding it and and his eyes got nice and big. I started laughing so much at this point as I handed him my sword all of the nurses and his daughter as well as Roberto san got this really scared look on their faces as if all hell might break loose. Anyway, he made a few gestures with it in the motion of cutting and smiled really big saying that he really liked the sword a lot. The only thing that he said against it was that the large O-Choji hamon that was on it wasn’t good for fighting and that Suguha or Ko-Suguha was better for cutting. I was thinking oh great. He like my sword so much that I might have to give it to him which I would have done. Thank god he gave it back

Anyway, we were able to take a few pictures with him and thank him for his contribution to kenjutsu and tameshigiri as well as many other things that because of him we are all benefiting from today.

I was fortunate enough to have been given his permission to study a set of yari kata that he had attached to Nakamura ryu at some point. Though I’m not a student of Nakamura Ryu he was very happy and impressed that I would ask his permission to do this as none was really studying it anymore. He then told me that he looked forward to when I came back in 6mos. To see me perform them for him. He gave something that day that I will never forget . Thank you sensei.

Sorry for the long winded memories as there are people that are more closely related to him within Nakamura Ryu. I just felt like sharing something with all of and especially Guy that meant so much to me.

Our thought are with Guy and all of Nakamura sensei's family.

Big Tony
    Senpokan Dojo
    Bugei Trading Co.
    BIG TONY

Senpokan Dojo
    Tozai Imports

Likes (received)

I'm very sorry to hear this news. His amazing spirit will continue to be felt throughout the budo community for generations to come. My sympathies to Nakamura Sensei's family and extended family.
    Ric Flinn

Likes (received)

Unhappy Deepest sympathy ...

I'm so sorry Guy, I know how you felt about Nakamura Sensei. My sympathy and prayers also to his family and to the rest of the Nakamura and Toyama Ryu folks whose lives he influenced.

Paul Smith

Likes (received)

Guy,
    My deepest sympathies to you and to all the Nakamura ryu family. Nakamura Sensei was such an immovable personage in the sword world, it will be difficult to think of him being gone.

Eric
    Eric Montes

Likes (received)

Default A Great Loss...

Power Sensei,

I've sent you a note privately, but I wanted to say in public what a loss this is to our budo family. After speaking to you both in class and out, I discovered both your respect and admiration for this great man, but also how importantly vital his knowledge and experience was for the development of arts which many here practice.

The upcoming Tai Kai in Orlando will take on special meaning for many of us reading this who attend, as seeing you perform the techniques of Nakamura Ryu will have added significance with Nakamura Sensei's passing. The loss is great, but knowing that his art lives on in you is comforting to me and I am sure many others.

My condolances on your personal loss, and condolances to us all for our collective loss. Domo Arigato Gozaimashita, Nakamura Sensei.

Warmest Regards to All,

Carlos
    E. Carlos Estrella, Jr.

The strength of a man is not measured in how much he can lift, how many he can fight or how much he can endure, but in his capacity to admit his limitations and learn to successfully circumvent them.

Likes (received)

Truly a sad event.
    Nakamura’s name has meaning for many across the budo world. A great influence on modern budo.
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!

Likes (received)

my condolences......great loss.....
    Umar Sesko A. Tri Hananto
    "high quality single man"
    "low profile but high product"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast