Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I just joined, but why can’t I post?

Likes (received)

Post Q: I just joined, but why can’t I post?

Q: I joined e-budo, but why can’t I post messages?

A: This is the most common question I receive from new members. The problem is based on the fact that all memberships are not verified, until the new member’s email address is validated. At the end of the member’s registration process, an email is sent to the email address you specified in your profile. This email contains a link to the verification page. All you have to do is click on the link and your membership will be automatically verified and you will now be allowed to post messages. Obviously, you will not receive the activation email if you submitted a bogus email address.
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

How long does it take to receive the e-mail?
    David Black Mastro

"The Japanese are the most warlike people in this part of the world. They have artillery and many arquebuses and lances. They use defensive armor for the body, made of iron, which they have owing to the subtlety of the Portuguese, who have displayed that trait to the injury of their own souls." --Gonzalo Ronquillo de Penalosa, commenting on well-equipped wako in the Philippines, 1582.

Likes (received)

OK now I'm really confused.

I can post here, and on "Baffling Budo", but not on some other forums (like "Bad Budo"). Help!
    David Black Mastro

"The Japanese are the most warlike people in this part of the world. They have artillery and many arquebuses and lances. They use defensive armor for the body, made of iron, which they have owing to the subtlety of the Portuguese, who have displayed that trait to the injury of their own souls." --Gonzalo Ronquillo de Penalosa, commenting on well-equipped wako in the Philippines, 1582.

Likes (received)

Also, do I have to manually subscribe to every thread I post on?

Other sites automatically subscribe you, as soon as you post on a particular thread.

Thanks again!
    David Black Mastro

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Nanban Bushi
    OK now I'm really confused.

I can post here, and on "Baffling Budo", but not on some other forums (like "Bad Budo"). Help!
    You can only post in "Bad Budo" only if there is a thread already started.

All "Bad Budo" threads start in "Baffling Budo." Only later does the thread gets moved to the "Bad Budo" forum by the moderator.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Originally posted by George Kohler
    You can only post in "Bad Budo" only if there is a thread already started.

All "Bad Budo" threads start in "Baffling Budo." Only later does the thread gets moved to the "Bad Budo" forum by the moderator.
    Thanks, George!

What about the thread subscriptions?
    David Black Mastro

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Nanban Bushi
    What about the thread subscriptions?
    It is a setting that you can change here (Use 'Email Notification' by default?).

/Anders
    Anders Pettersson
    www.shorinjikempo.net - www.shorinjikempo.se
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを - 宗 道臣
    "Nakaba wa jiko no shiawase wo, nakaba wa hito no shiawase wo" - So Doshin

Likes (received)

OK, as I understand it, you cannot subscribe to threads without getting e-mail notification--is that correct? I have my preferences set so that I don't get e-mail notification, and yet, I'm still getting e-mail notifications on threads I've manually subscribed to. Is that how it works on this site?
    David Black Mastro

MarkF Guest

OK, as I understand it, you cannot subscribe to threads without getting e-mail notification--is that correct?
    No, not if you selected 'NO' in edit options under "email notification" as Anders stated in his post.

Make sure to check yes or no to Private Messages notification by email. Even selecting yes should you receive only an email notifying you of a new private message (PM).

Other than that, I think that has been covered.

Mark

Likes (received)

Originally posted by MarkF
    No, not if you selected 'NO' in edit options under "email notification" as Anders stated in his post.
    Then perhaps you could explain why I'm still getting e-mail notifications for responses to the threads I'm subscribed to--I selected "no" (I hate having my e-mail flooded with useless messages like that), but I'm still getting notifications. I would prefer just to check these things on my CP. What am I doing wrong?
    David Black Mastro

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Anders Pettersson
    If I remeber correctly I think that what you want is not possible with this version of vBulletin (2.2.3), but it is available with the vBulletin 3.x.

I adminstrate a Swedish board, Budoforum (www.budo.se/forum), and there you can choose to have either subsriptions with no e-mail notification or daily and weekly etc. as well as what we have it here with instant e-mail notification.

So I am sorry, but you have to live with this until this board upgrade to a newer version (which I think will not be in a while).

/Anders
    Anders,

Thank you--I just wanted to make sure that I understand how things work here.

In the meantime, I'll just deal with the notifications!

Peace,

David
    David Black Mastro

Likes (received)

Default Help!

Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to insert an image into a post. This is probably the nth time someone has asked how to do this, but I'm stuck. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
    Matt Nolan

Likes (received)

Mr Elo,
    Thanks for the tips and the step by step run through. I was trying to post in the Koryu/sword arts forum, and I think the problem was the size of the image file. Thanks again.
    Matt Nolan

Likes (received)

what are reputation points, and how/why do people get them? i've looked around but haven't been able to find an answer.
    Paula Herrington

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others [I]think[/I] you are. -- John Wooden

There are only two ways to live your life. One is though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though [I]everything[/I] is. -- Albert Einstein

Paper Tigger Guest

Question

I just joined and I'm wondering why I keep getting signed out without myself logging out. I have my browser set to accept cookies, so I'm wondering if this the default setting for the site, or if I need to set something myself in order to stay logged in. Can anyone help me with this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast