Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Aikido & Daito-ryu: Differences and Similarities?/ Rengokai

Mark Murray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield
    Mark,
    Duly noted. I didn't mean to imply that Stevens' research (or language skills) were somehow defective, but only that Pranin was able to get deeper into the subject via communications with "players" that Stevens hadn't been privy to. It's just a matter of extending the research further.

As for Yoshinkan, it's also known that Shioda trained for a time with Takeda, so it's no surprise that some of that shows in his aikido. However, as Ueshiba took his work in a certain direction away from Daito-ryu, so went Shioda in his own direction.
    That's an interesting side note, Cady. Is there anywhere that makes note of Shioda training with Takeda? I can't seem to find it, but then again, I haven't read all the articles on Aikido Journal either.

Mark

Likes (received)

Mark,
    I should have said "it is strongly suspected" instead of "known."
    Among various sources, I have a tape (from a film) of Shioda doing Daito-ryu techniques (as part of a Yoshinkan demonstration, no less!), which I got from a long-time Yoshinkan person who confirmed the info. Or at least, alluded strongly to it. I doubt he would have gotten that from Ueshiba, who seems to have kept old-style DR to himself.
    Cady Goldfield

Mark Murray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cady Goldfield
    Mark,
    I should have said "it is strongly suspected" instead of "known."
    Among various sources, I have a tape (from a film) of Shioda doing Daito-ryu techniques (as part of a Yoshinkan demonstration, no less!), which I got from a long-time Yoshinkan person who confirmed the info. Or at least, alluded strongly to it. I doubt he would have gotten that from Ueshiba, who seems to have kept old-style DR to himself.
    As for Ueshiba keeping old-style DR to himself. I'd have to disagree to a point. According to Aiki News #94, "Among the recipients of Daito-ryu diplomas from Ueshiba are Kenji Tomiki, Minoru Mochizuki, Rinjiro Shirata, and Gozo Shioda."

But that's the only official mention I have of Shioda doing DR. Still, it is interesting. I wonder what year they received these diplomas (anywhere from 1922 - 1937), how much they studied, and what skill level the diplomas meant.

Mark

Likes (received)

I've never heard of Shioda training with Takeda (although this is possible). I have heard rumours from folks in the Yoshinkan about him training in the Kodokai though.
    Chris Ames

Likes (received)

The answer to the affirmative or negative would probably be in the aforementioned emuroku from Takeda's numerous seminars. The Yoshinkan person who gave me the tape may well have been misinformed.
    Cady Goldfield

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3