Likes Likes:  0

Thread: heavyweight throws

Likes (received)

Default heavyweight throws

Hello Everyone:

Do any of you have ideas as to the most successful throws for heavyweight judoka (250 lb. and up) to pull off in randori and shiai? Also, any opinions on the easiest throws for the big guys to learn.

Thanks

Tal Stanfield

Likes (received)

sasae tsuri komi ashi left side, I guarantee you it's a killer

Martin Durette

Likes (received)

O Soto Gari is a pretty good all around technique for most people.

Makikomi or variants of it work well, especially with bigger people, because of their body mass.

Perhaps Uchi Mata or Harai Goshi?
    Walt Jennings

Likes (received)

I weigh about 260 and my tokui waza is Harai Goshi. Of course it was my favorite when I was 160, 30 years ago. Years ago in a club I was in our bigest guy weighed about 310, his favorite throw was Seoi Otoshi, and man was he good at it.

Peace
    Dennis
    Dennis P. Mc Geehan
    Everyday presents new challanges and opportunities to learn!

MarkF Guest

Tal, are you also tall? That may make a difference as to what throws are good for bigger guys.

I was thrown at least twenty times per session of randori with harai goshi (I'm in the opposite direction of "big").

Seoiotoshi is a great throw for tall or big guys. Dropping to your knees without having to load uke is great. I don't know about weight, but I know taller guys use it a lot to put them in the advantage by cutting one's height.

Osoto gari, o guruma are always good. Big guys can take out both legs of uke.

Give this thread a couple of days. There may be a good number of throws you can try.

Mark

Likes (received)

Thanks for the answers so far everyone.

Mark, I am 6'0" tall.

Partly, my query is for my self, but also for curiosity about statistical data from shiai. I have seen lists of throws in Olympic shiai and World Championships broken down by frequency of specific throws being used and the resulting percentages each one is of the total, but I have never seen any numbers based on weight classes. I wonder is any such information available?

Thanks,

Tal Stanfield

MarkF Guest

That is a good question. I know, for instance, against someone your size, I would probably try tai otoshi. I'm 5'3" or so.

The stats are probably out there so if you are willing to do the search (and not totally on the Internet) you may find it. Yasuhiro Yamashita used a mean hane goshi as well as uchi mata. Guys like Masaki were very good on the ground, Saito being another who used sweeps and such as well as a lot of groundwork, but it probably can't be answered by limiting the research on the Japanese only.

But I would love to see the stats per weight class overall. You may want to check out the Sydney Games of Two-thousand. The results I perused during those games gave the names of all wins and on which throw or katame-waza. Mine came from an NBC list of all sorts of results including judo and each and every match was included. Every match ending with a technique, be they koka thru ippon, gave each waza scored. Decisions were given by name of the type of decision. I'm betting you can find them from at least So. Korea through Sydney, and probably online. You may have to do the math yourself, but it shouldn't be too bad. I have a hard copy I received from a researcher with the IOC of all Olympics starting with the 1964 games, but as he was simply trying to find results, names, medals, etc., he didn't go into those kind of specifics.

The world championships may prove a bit more difficult, but there should be somewhere you can find them. Write to the office of YS Park of the IJF. He won't answer (usually, but it depends on the question and how busy) but the people who do were very easy to ask. They just may have it, too. As details are very important (ko soto gake or ko soto gari) they may have something in that area.

Mark