Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Handcuffs

Likes (received)

Default Handcuffs

I am interested to obtain the comments and advice of other LEO's and those with experience in the use of handcuffs.

At present I am issued with rigid handcuffs - there has been some talk within my organisation that these may be replaced with the chain-link cuffs that were used in the force some 6 years ago. This is because complaints about injuries received after they have been used have increased dramatically.

I have trained in the use of chainlink cuffs as a tourist whilst training in eastern europe but have never used them operationally. I personally find the rigid cuffs very useful and believe that speed and control is maximised and injury potential to the prisoner is actually minimised.

What I am interested in specifically is what type od cuffs are used in other Uniformed/ Law-enforcement organisations around the world. Also if other LEO's have used both what do they prefer?

Thanks for reading.
    Jeffrey W. Goodwin.

"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down".
    Yagyu Munenori (1571 - 1646)
    Samurai & bodyguard to the Shogun.

Likes (received)

Jeffery what do you mean, "what type od cuffs"? Here OD means off duty. Do you carry cuffs off duty? I know a lot of us do in the US.

We used a variety of makes and models in corrections. I've had a different training, as a CO, a constable, and as an instructor.

I like my personal cuffs the best, aluminum, airweights. They are the best, most comfortable fit for my hand for tactical speed cuffing.

I find hinged cuffs a better fit for my hand than most chain link cuffs. However I prefer chain link cuffs, they are a little easier to get on a subject.

If I'm not being clear, because of differences in technique, training or nomenclature, let me know.
    joe yang, the three edged sword of truth

"Not going to be fooled by you again Joe Yang's right you are evil and self-serving." Haiyomi

"Give my regards to joe yang. very intelligent man." Sojobow

Hissho Guest

I carry one of each, plus a set of flex cuffs.

I think hinge is faster but better suited to the guy that is not fighting with you to keep you from cuffing him. I use them for compliant arrestees.

Chain for the folks that wanna fight, and who are all twisted up or put their wrists in weird positions when you are trying to cuff them. The cuffs are more flexible, and can be adjusted after the fight is over and the suspect controlled. Our agency does high risk stops by calling people back, putting them on their knees with hands on their head - chain are more quickly applied in this situation than are hinged.

If they are proned out and you bring the arms back for cuffing, again I would go with the hinge.

Kit Leblanc

Likes (received)

Originally posted by joe yang
    Jeffery what do you mean, "what type od cuffs"? Here OD means off duty. Do you carry cuffs off duty? I know a lot of us do in the US.
    Sorry Mr. Yang - it should read "of" not "od", a spelling error. Also I don't carry handcuffs off duty.

Thanks for your comments.
    Jeffrey W. Goodwin.

"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down".

Likes (received)

I also carry the main three. Peerless hinge, SW chain and flex cuffs. I like my SW's because they have the largest and smallest inside diameter when locked. My hinge I save for the muscle guys and fighters. Ive seen broken chains and bent hinge cuffs but so far I have not seen any broken hinges of course all things are possible.

Be safe

Desmond
    Desmond Harpster

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. W.C.Fields

Man: is this gambling?
    WC: not the way I play it.

Likes (received)

Oh yeah, flex cuffs. I forget about them. I have them stashed everywhere. In my car, jacket pockets, fanny packs, pants pockets. I don't even think about them any more. They are just there. And there is a pair of shackles in my car.
    joe yang, the three edged sword of truth

"Not going to be fooled by you again Joe Yang's right you are evil and self-serving." Haiyomi

"Give my regards to joe yang. very intelligent man." Sojobow

Hissho Guest

Desmond-

Great minds think alike.

When are we gonna hook up ? - I'd like the chance to feel this Roppokai I have read about firsthand, and am curious as to your experiences in application on the job.

BTW, we have a DT class in Vancouver WA on Wednesday nights - we work a lot of close quarters stuff with weapons and test it in force on force drilling - free of charge and LE is welcome any time. I would love to see some brothers and sisters from south of the (Oregon/Washington) border get involved.

Kit LeBlanc

Likes (received)

Your force drill sounds interesting. You are welcome to make a run south across the border into the Repbulic of Oregon. My dojo is open in Wednesday evenings.

Desmond
    Desmond Harpster

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. W.C.Fields

Likes (received)

Kit

I tried to send you an email a few months ago and again just now but it's not going anywhere.

Desmond
    Desmond Harpster

Likes (received)

Desmond,

See this thread and contact info http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=18818

We talked on the phone several years ago. You’re welcome to come.
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!

Likes (received)

Thank you for your comments - very useful.

I have also looked back over previous discussion topics and found a previous thread about use of handcuffs (June/July last year). I had omitted to do this prior to posting this thread. The reason I'm saying this is because I still got responses.

This is what I like about the CQC forum it's not as "stuffy" as some of the other areas, where I would have probably got someone telling me off for not paying attention in School.

Thanks again.
    Jeffrey W. Goodwin.