Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fighting a Cultural Battle

Likes (received)

Washington is getting into some serious trouble due to insurance premiums for doctors. Just a few short weeks ago a rather alarming percentage of the state's neurosurgeons all lost their coverage for no apparent reason. I think the Seattle area may be down to about 4 or 5 who are practicing. Ob/Gyn types are shutting their doors and leaving town in a hurry - they spend several times in insurance fees than what they are left with. What is the motivation when every time something goes "wrong" you get sued into oblivion?

Until we reform the laws and hang a few very specific lawyers who make their living off of hyped up "malpractice" lawsuits I think we will continue to see more of this.

Harvey Moul

“Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin”

Gene Williams Guest

Default Ethanol re-visited

Hi Chuck, I like single malt scotch, but I'll drink bourbon. Insurance premiums for physicians are outrageous, also insurance regulations regarding what is to be covered. You young docs don't even remember what medicine and doctors were like a couple of decades ago. I hope you all will one day get enough and take medicine back from the insurance companies, corporations, and lawyers. Gene

Likes (received)

Which single malt scotch and which bourbon? They are not all equal as you know. Hell, Glenlivet isn't even that good any more compared to what it was before the damned French bought the company.

For good bourbon I start with Maker's Mark and work up the ladder of boutique whisky from there. I have yet to try that new brand made by the guy who's dad was a famous moonshiner.

You should also try out the high-end tequila that is made any more. One sip of a $90+ bottle reposado, patron, or anejo grade tequila will make you realize what rotgut Jose Cuervo has been selling us for all these years.

Harvey Moul

“Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin”

Gene Williams Guest

Lagavulin and Macallan are my favorites. I also like Maker's Mark, and several of the single barrel bourbons. J W Dant isn't half bad, and for getting drunk, Old Grandad Special Edtion (114 proof) is good. I do not like Tequila. Gene

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
    Which single malt scotch and which bourbon? They are not all equal as you know. Hell, Glenlivet isn't even that good any more compared to what it was before the damned French bought the company.

For good bourbon I start with Maker's Mark and work up the ladder of boutique whisky from there. I have yet to try that new brand made by the guy who's dad was a famous moonshiner.

You should also try out the high-end tequila that is made any more. One sip of a $90+ bottle reposado, patron, or anejo grade tequila will make you realize what rotgut Jose Cuervo has been selling us for all these years.

Now yer talkin....I bemoan the "discovery" of proper sippin' tequilas, and the subsequent price increases.....we also like mezcal..alot

...also, try the Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia....they kept the good $hit for themselves.......hell, their 1800 isn't half bad if you don't wanna spend a lot of money.
    Last edited by elder999; 25th June 2003 at 23:24.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

For anyone who can find it, I recommend Rip Van Winkle Bourbon.
    My favorite scotch (in my price range) is The Dalmore.

And Joe is right, the PA situation is ridiculous. We had a talk from the man who runs Medicaid for the entire state, a real big shot and also a hell of a nice guy, and one of the things that he mentioned in his speech was that he used to split his time 90/10 between running medicaid and clinical practice, but as of a few days before the talk that had changed because his practice could no longer afford to keep him insured.

Southern Nevada currently has something like 76 obstetricians for the ENTIRE REGION!
    Chuck Munyon
    charles.munyon@gmail.com
    University Hospitals, Case Medical Center

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3