Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where are the JKA kumite rules?

Likes (received)

Default Where are the JKA kumite rules?

I can't seem to find no matter how much I search the web (I guess I can't pick good search phrases) the rules of JKA tournament kumite.
    J.T.

Likes (received)

KUMITE RULES

Traditional Shotokan JKA/AAU Ippon Shobu Kumite rules

1.) Two-minute matches (full time) ippon matches (One full point or two half-points).

2.) Three jogai = loss of match

3.) Target area - face, neck, stomach & back.

5.) Mouth pieces and thin (cloth) handpads required. Groin and female chest protectors optional.

(Forearm, shin and instep protectors are prohibited.)
    Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Likes (received)

What about scoring, what gives a point? How about contact?
    J.T.

Likes (received)

Addition: And what about penalties. I have people claiming that the rules prohibit contact and other people claiming the fights are full contact. And I can't find the rules even from the JKA website.
    J.T.

Likes (received)

Now, those are some more difficult questions, and I couldn't even find a good answer on the net. Based on tradition, I'll make the following educated guesses and then do some more looking around.

Most likely contact is "kiss touch", particularly to the head. You will be expected to make more solid contact as your belt rank increases. I've seen some black belt matches that were nearly full contact and one hell of a lot of bruises, peeing blood, broken noses & ribs, and eye cuts.

Scoring is given for degree of difficulty and performance of technique. I kick to the head will score higher than a reverse punch to the ribcage.

Penalties are typically for illegal or excessive contact. Typically you lose a point or maybe disqualified.

I think I know a good site for more clear info. It may not be JKA rules, but should be quite close.

Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

Try out this: USA - National Karate-do Federation

I believe that this will be very close to the JKA rules as these organizations collaborate with each other to make sure there is uniformity among competitions.

Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
    Try out this: USA - National Karate-do Federation

I believe that this will be very close to the JKA rules as these organizations collaborate with each other to make sure there is uniformity among competitions.

Nope. The JKA dittoheads like to decry the WKF and maintain that their competitions are nothing like the WKF's. Especially now, with the different amounts of points given for scoring techniques.

So, the question still stands. Does anyone know where on the net that one can find a copy of the JKA's rules of karate competition?

Rob

Likes (received)

I haven't competed in 20 years - back then everything scored one point. I think perhaps it was a better time, everybody knew what the rules were.

Do you know when the "split" happened?

Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

I found this:

BASIC KUMITE
    Sparring is confined to the square sector; competitors cannot deviate from the field.

When called, both competitors bow and move to the sides from the outside. Then, they bow inside, and move to their starting points. Lower belts will have to perform 'kihon' kumite, while higher belts must engage in 'jiyu' kumite. These are almost identical to the ones given in class.

ADVANCED KUMITE

The highest belts are expected to free spar. Scoring techniques can be tsuki (punch), geri (kick), and uchi (strike). There are two types of scoring given : 'ippon', or full point, and 'waza-ari', or half-point. Competitors will have two minutes to score their points. If, within this time, none of the competitors have scored, judges will make a decision for the winning side. The same applies for ties.

Requirements for an 'ippon' score :

Timing (opponent could not defend)
    Distance and accuracy
    Effective, yet not causing injury
    Requirements for a 'waza-ari' score :

Successful techniques of lower accuracy and timing
    Penalties are given if the competitor steps beyond the sector boundaries, or behaves poorly. Free sparring 'jiyu' kumite can be both individual and in teams.
    Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

Another site had this to say - I am starting to believe that the JKA kumite rules are not on the Internet. You may have to order a copy from the JKA.

Brief Synopsis of Rules

 The result of a bout is determined by either competitor scoring Ippon (full point) or 2 waza’ari (half points), or a majority score at the end of the bout. A result may also be obtained via disqualification or renunciation.
     Ippon is awarded for head kicks; successfully scoring at the precise moment the opponent attacks; deflecting an attack and scoring on the unguarded back; sweeping or throwing followed by a scoring technique; combination techniques which individually score.
     Waza’ari is awarded for techniques which are almost comparable to those needed for Ippon.
     Attacking areas are limited to the face, head, neck, abdomen, side of the body, chest and back (excluding the shoulders).
     Skin touch control must be exercised with any techniques to the face, head or neck.
    Forbidden Techniques
     Attacks to the groin
     Attacks to the face with NUKITE, or any other open hand technique)
     Repeated direct attacks to arm or legs
     Attacks to the hip, knee or instep
     Techniques which make excessive contact
     Techniques which cannot be controlled (KAKATO GERI, etc)
     Repeated exits from the fighting area
     Grabbing, pushing or wrestling with the opponent
     Feigning injury
    NOTE: Any competitor, coach or team member who behaves discourteously towards any member of the refereeing panel can earn the immediate disqualification of the team or competitor. Spectators who cannot control themselves in a manner saw fit for a JKA karate tournament will be ejected from the arena with not refund of fees paid.
    Penalties
     Chui (warning) may be imposed for minor infractions of the rules as seen fit by the referee)
     Hansoku Chui (warning leading to disqualification) may be imposed for major or repeated minor infractions of the rules as seen fit by the referee)
     Hansoku (disqualification) may be imposed directly or indirectly for major infractions of the rules with the opponent being awarded the bout.
     Mu’bob (defencelessness) may be imposed whereby the competitor puts themselves in a position of self-danger. Examples could be turning away at the point of an attack, dropping the head down at the point of attack, etc)
     Shikkaku (expulsion) may be imposed for gross infractions of the rules with the opponent being awarded the bout. Competitors receiving Shikkaku may take no further part in the tournament.
    Protective equipment
     Hand mitts and gum shields are compulsory. Groin protectors and chest guards (female only) are advised. Shin pads (no instep) are permitted for children (under 16 years of age).
    Duration
     The duration of each bout will in principle last for 1˝ minutes. The finals will in principle last 2 minutes.
    System
     Kata will use a flag system (3 or 5 judges) for the elimination’s and score cards for the finals. Competitors will be given a kata in the elimination rounds and may choose their kata in the finals.
     Kumite will use a ‘shadow’ system (1 judges and 1 referee) for the elimination’s and a flag system for the semi-finals and finals.
    Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

Shitoryu Dude, where did you find the "Brief Synopsis of Rules"?
    J.T.

Likes (received)

Default Shobu Sanbon Hajime!

Try www.aaukarate.org

I don't know why the JKA stays with the old rules.
    Some of their players do very well in the USANKF and USAKF (new WKF rules)tournaments.

Any one going to the AAU nationals?

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Can't remember where I found my info - I was pretty deep into Google at the time.

We have a batch of people going to Sweden this summer for the Hayashi-Ha championships.

Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

Default Re: Shobu Sanbon Hajime!

Originally posted by Budoka 34
    Try www.aaukarate.org

I don't know why the JKA stays with the old rules.
    Some of their players do very well in the USANKF and USAKF (new WKF rules)tournaments.

Any one going to the AAU nationals?

Those are the AAU rules. NOT the JKA's or even the ISKF's rules. In many of these online forums the members of those groups maintain that *they're* doing budo and that the AAU, WKF, USANKF are playing "Tag". They maintain that their rules are substantially different from those of the WKF or AAU. So, can anyone find a copy of the JKA's rules online? How about an up-to-date copy of the ITKF's rules? The copy I have is from 1995. A bit out of date, I'd think.

Makes one wonder though, why they're so hard to find on the net? WKF's, WKC's, AAU's, USANKF's rules are all on the web.

Rob

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Shobu Sanbon Hajime!

Originally posted by Rob Alvelais

How about an up-to-date copy of the ITKF's rules? The copy I have is from 1995. A bit out of date, I'd think.
    Rob
    Hi Rob,

I am not sure if the ITKF and the AAKF's rule book are the same. I'll check this weekend. As I recall the last copy we had was dated early 80's I think ?
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast