Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where are the JKA kumite rules?

Likes (received)

Default ITKF was AAKF

1995 ITKF rules are probably identical to JKA rules since ITKF is Nishiyama sensei. AAKF I think was the first JKA presence in the US, then it split when Okazaki sensei formed ISKF, then AAKF left JKA and became ITKF.

Meanwhile, Mr. Mori runs Shotokan Karate Do America which is now Shotokan Karate Do Internation a/k/a JKA of New York.

What distinguishes JKA kumite from AAU or WKF kumite may not be so much as the rules as the judges. JKA judges are very conservative, rarely are kicks to head awarded!

How do AAU rules or WKF rules differ?

M

Likes (received)

Well, that bites. If kicking somebody in the head doesn't score points then you might as well not even show up - it's a total farce. I can't count the number of times I scored/won a bout by sneaking in an unexpected kick to the noggin.

Harvey Moul

“Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin”

hobbitbob Guest

It isn't that kicks to the head don't score, as much as it is that they aren't attempted. In Philadelphia in 2001 I saw most points still went for chudan gyaku zuki.

Likes (received)

That gets boring in a hurry. I've seen some tournaments the seemed to consist of gyaku zuki competitions (mainly women) and they SUCKED!! You need to encourage a little risk taking and push people to perform otherwise there is no point in it all.

Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Shobu Sanbon Hajime!

Originally posted by Rob Alvelais

Makes one wonder though, why they're so hard to find on the net? WKF's, WKC's, AAU's, USANKF's rules are all on the web.

Rob
    WKF has their rules on their official webpage:
    http://www.wkf.net

Direct link to the rules in english (both kumite and kata):
    http://www.wkf.net/html/rulesenglish.html

WKC has their at:
    http://www.yku.org.yu/english/shobu_sanbon.htm
    and their official webpage:
    http://www.wkc-org.net/

AAU rules can be found at their site at:
    http://www.aausports.org/exec/aau/Ka...blicationID=12

USANKF are members of WKF and uses WKF rules.
    Last edited by Martin H; 28th June 2003 at 15:22.
    Martin Hultgren
    Kyokushinkai, Sweden

Likes (received)

Oh, yeah.Almost forgot. JKA and AAU are affiliated to each other, so they should use the same rules (much as JKF are affiliated to WKF and uses the same rules).
    Martin Hultgren
    Kyokushinkai, Sweden

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Martin H
    Oh, yeah.Almost forgot. JKA and AAU are affiliated to each other, so they should use the same rules (much as JKF are affiliated to WKF and uses the same rules).
    Sorry Martin, the JKA and the AAU are not affiliated. While there is a relationship between the JKF and the WKF, there isn't any between the AAU and the JKA.

If indeed the AAU's Ippon Shobu and the JKA's rules are the same, no one can really say, since we're unable to place the rules side-by-side and do a comparison, can we?

Rob

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Rob Alvelais

Sorry Martin, the JKA and the AAU are not affiliated. While there is a relationship between the JKF and the WKF, there isn't any between the AAU and the JKA.
    Sorry, my misstake. I am not that familliar with US organisations and went by memory alone.

Here btw is the Nakahara group JKA home page, but I cannot find any rules there. Perhaps in the japanese section, but I cannot read japanese.
    http://www.jka.or.jp/ (it has both english and japanese sections)

BTW JKA is also a part of JKF, which is a part of wkf, so realy they should use the wkf rules aswell. But they dont.

The Asai group JKA (or is it JKS now?)has their homepage at :
    http://nunojka.planetaclix.pt/topo.htm
    No rules writeup there either.
    Martin Hultgren
    Kyokushinkai, Sweden

Likes (received)

Makes you wonder what exactly the JKA is hiding by not posting their kumite rules. Do we have any JKA members here at E-Budo who can add their 2 cents worth on this?

Harvey Moul

hobbitbob Guest

Not JKA anymore, but... the ITKF/AAKF kumite rules changed in 1998 or thereabouts, to where a competitor had to "hold" a technique out in order for it to be seen as scoring. Avi Rokah wrote an article about it in Shotokan Magazine at teh time, I'll try and find it. I was practicing with an ITKF group in Seattle at the time, and remember the "discussions" this provoked.

Likes (received)

The closest thing I can find is KUGB rules (Karate union great brittan. And THEY are affiliated with JKA. If they have the same rules are a different question though.
    http://www.shinyo.co.uk/information/...mpetition.html
    Martin Hultgren
    Kyokushinkai, Sweden

Likes (received)

Default Oooops

Rob,

Ooops, the only place I've ever met any JKA students were at AAU tournaments.

The Ippon Shobu and Shobu Sanbon rules are fun to train with, but for a real sense of compitition I like the new WKF rules.

(IMHO) Multi kicking and take downs make the game much more challenging.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Talking My 2 cents but promise not to tell

Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
    Makes you wonder what exactly the JKA is hiding by not posting their kumite rules. Do we have any JKA members here at E-Budo who can add their 2 cents worth on this?

Ha ha! I wish they were trying to hide something. Have you ever seen the JKA website? The Engrish is hysterical. Problem is I don't think there's more then a few copies in Engrish, last time I had a judges seminar we all took notes while sensei tried to read from the Japanese booklet. In 2 weeks I get to do it again. I might have a translation somewhere, but the ninja swat team might kill me for posting. :

You'll defend me right Dude? Kicks to head are scored sometimes but again the demand for kime keeps most judges from awarding it and you're right, makes for boring sparring.

Bob now I remember the ITKF rule change demanding kime. Failed to work big time. KUGB however, has great kumite w/ plenty of kicks see "Art of War" series. South american JKA too has great kickers.

No the problem is with us judges and what we see or fail to see.

M

Likes (received)

Dude SMASH!!

(we need a Hulk smilie)

Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

Default Re: My 2 cents but promise not to tell

Originally posted by Margaret Lo
    last time I had a judges seminar we all took notes while sensei tried to read from the Japanese booklet. In 2 weeks I get to do it again.
    Well, you can probably already tell me if it is full contact or not? Use gloves and headgear or not?
    J.T.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast