Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Where are the JKA kumite rules?

Likes (received)

Default No headgear, the rest...

all depends on the teacher running the tourney. Mr. Okazaki usually enforces gloves, mouthpieces during all ISKF tournaments. Others may be less consistent. The written rules require gloves/mouth pieces and do not allow headgear, shin, forearm padding. In practice, sometimes gloves may not be used and mouth pieces are used at discretion of contestant.

Contact is light to none to head, more is allowed to body. JKA kumite is not full contact but light contact for points. As a result, judges are required to see kime in technique before awarding a point rather than rely on proof of kime evidenced by your opponent falling over.

This demands a high level of understanding in judges which makes it tough to get good judges. Plus with only 2 half points awarded in 2 min, if you get scored on once, you can lose when time runs out so a mistake costs big and again emphasis ends up on gyakuzukis.

So Harv, the guys suck too and too often it's gyakuzukis only. What is true is that there are more good guys than good women. Though that doesn't hold as true for the South Americans. One of the fighers with the most beautiful technique ever seen is Edna Limas from Brazil now with ISKF.

Why does the JKA keep to its rules given the substantial downsides and the proven existence of great kumite under other rules? Well it all has to do with kime, and kendo.

M
    Last edited by Margaret Lo; 1st July 2003 at 17:03.

Likes (received)

Wink Kime!

Margret,

I understand kime, but what about kendo?

In the WKF rules(as used by the USANKF and modified in the USAKF)to score a technique it must have all of the following.

Good form

Sporting attitude

Vigorous attitude (KIME)

Awareness (Zanshin)

Correct timing

Correct distance (Maai)

I assume the JKA rules are similar?

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Default Re: Kime!

Originally posted by Budoka 34

In the WKF rules(as used by the USANKF and modified in the USAKF)to score a technique it must have all of the following.

Good form

Sporting attitude

Vigorous attitude (KIME)

Awareness (Zanshin)

Correct timing

Correct distance (Maai)

I assume the JKA rules are similar?

We don't know. We can't know without a copy of what's actually written to make a comparison. Without a copy, then one person's opinion is only that, just their opinion. It can vary from person to person, or even with that same perso from moment to moment.

Rob

Likes (received)

Default Kendo

I have been told that JKA kumite is influenced by kendo. That Nakayama sensei's father was a kendo instructor and he himself was at least a shodan in kendo before starting karate. As a result, kendo influenced karate by transplanting its emphasis on 1 key technique which is defined to be a killing strike. Rules may also have been borrowed from kendo though I don't know enough about kendo to be sure.

In JKA bouts the winner is whoever achieves one full point by either winning 2 half points or one full point through a definitive technique (ie a killing blow: undefended round house kick to head or sweep punch combination).

Judges must look for a powerful, well timed punch pulled short of target if to head, but exhibiting kime. Combinations of weaker technique, even if landed often do not score.

This makes JKA tourneys quite different in concept, I think, from other sport karate systems, or kickboxing. While the rules you stated from WKF sound the same as JKA rules, the difference is in the application. Especially among the Japanese judges, in my experience, they look for 3 things in addition to timing and distance and that is kime kime and kime.

M
    Last edited by Margaret Lo; 2nd July 2003 at 17:01.

Likes (received)

Smile I see your point again and again............Re.Kime

I have only had my Referee cert(USAKF) for about a year, but I've been attending tournys under the WKF rule for about the last four.
    I've seen, even under the same rules, great latitude used by judges when determining a scorable technique. So I see your point Rob.
    All I'm saying is, even though they may be different, the idea behind what is scorable is probably pretty similar.

Margret,

Those rules sound alot like the old Shobu Ippon rules.
    I've trained under Ippon rules and it was tough going!

I'll keep searching for the JKA rules.
    Does anyone know any books that may list them?

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Default shobu ippon

Yes that's what it is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3