Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sport?

Likes (received)

Default Sport?

Check out what they are saying about us over at the Karate Forum.
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

mikko.virmasalo Guest

Default Sport?

Hello

What do you all think? Should we try to correct them or what? Maby they just have read those post from "intern/inner dojo randori" -thread and made some false conclusions based on that.

-mikko

Kimpatsu Guest

Default Re: Sport?

Originally posted by mikko.virmasalo
    Hello
    What do you all think? Should we try to correct them or what? Maby they just have read those post from "intern/inner dojo randori" -thread and made some false conclusions based on that.
    -mikko
    Gassho.
    I've just posted a reply, Mikko-san. If all Shorinji Kenshi do the same, they'll see we're serious about correcting this mistake.
    Kesshu.

mikko.virmasalo Guest

Tony, I trust your reply was quite srong enough But lets c what follows...

Kimpatsu Guest

Gassho, Mikko-san.
    This takes me back to the (now closed) Tony Kehoe thread. I wrote then that I object to non-Shorinji Kenshi posting statements in the Shorinji Kempo forum, for the same reason that I never visit the Karate or Aikido forums: I don't have the requisite knowledge to make pronouncements. By all means ask questions, but for a Karateka to think he understands Shorinji Kempo is the height of arrogance. It is why we should all shy away from posting in specific forums unrelated to our own arts.
    This has been another pronouncement by the angry used-to-be-young man.
    Kesshu.

mikko.virmasalo Guest

Gassho Tony-san

I have read many of your posts and although I don't allways agree with you but in this case I really do. What is the point of making statements on some topic if one doesn't have sufficent knowledge about the whole consept?

Kimpatsu Guest

Gassho, Mikko-san.
    Nice to see I'm on the same wavelength as my fellow Shorinji Kenshi occasionally.
    It occurs to me that if non-Shorinji Kenshi can pronounce on Shorinji Kempo, maybe I can give medical advice without being a doctor, or legal advice without being a lawyer...?
    Kesshu.

Likes (received)

Calm down guys.....

It was one persons (misinformed) opinion.....

I have posted a reply, and I ask that you do go to look at other forums, it does not matter what style you study, all martial arts do have a lot in common (a lot more than you think if you take the time to dig a little on other styles).
    Even post on other forums......
    Also anyone can post here in the Shorinji forum, but if their assumptions are incorrect then I expect that they will be corrected, but in a mature and informative manner, as is consistant with the philosophy behind Shorinji Kempo.
    If anyone trolls and insults, then by all means "teach them".... but also please inform Anders and Myself, then we can do something about the thread, so there are no "Shorinji Flame wars"......

If you know people who study other styles then talk to them, compare technique, compare philosophy (if they have a rigid philosophy, a lot of styles do, it is not as integral as Shorinji, but it is there).

Even go to demonstrations of other styles...... or go watch a class.... you may have a few shocks.
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

[Aussie accent]You have my full support, Sport![/Aussie accent]

Cordial relations with fellow human beings... a necessity as well as a desirable condition. Too much energy is dissipated in needless conflict.

Fundamental principles of David-Noble-Buddism #256 "Many paths to the top of the mountain".
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

mikko.virmasalo Guest

Gassho!

I'm calm And I don't have anything against browsing through other forums or doing some light crostraining or compearing styles or arts. I just don't like to make any comments or statements on subjects that i don't know but thats my personal oppinion

Likes (received)

Gassho!

I wonder if we can blame other martial arts looking at Shorinjikempo as a sport?

Shorinjikempo in Sweden and many other countries are members in sports organisations.

Shorinjikempo in Japan are members of Japan amateur sport association

If you search for Shorinjikempo on the internet you find it under martial arts and sports.

During national taikais Shorinjikempo federations often marketing embu as a tournament style competition.

If you visit Japan you can look at university randori competitions.

Johan Frendin

Bustillo, A. Guest

Calm down.

Take another look, it was not one of the folks on the forum making the commentary. The post is 'an article from a 1968 Black Belt magazine'. Furthermore, it is not a shorinji kempo article and other styles and arts were mentioned too.

On the particular thread in question, as of this writing, I hadn't noticed anyone in the karate forum making comments nor focusing on your art.
    Last edited by Bustillo, A.; 4th July 2003 at 16:57.

mikko.virmasalo Guest

Gassho!

I think that I need to clarify my point 'cause I think that you misunderstod my posts. My intention wasn't to judge anybody about what they write...

My point was sincere "should we invest time to explain in other forums that Shorinji Kempo is not a sport?" Because clearly it was just a remark from some source. Here in Finland I find it sometimes quite hard to explain to others that Shorinji Kempo is not a sport...

On the other post I was just making my own point of wiew that I don't like to comment or write if I don't know what I'm talking about...
    So maby that is the reason why I mostly hang on the background not participating on these threads

-mikko

Likes (received)

Hi Mikko

There is nothing wrong with making your voice heard.....
    I hope that you continue to write here (and on other forums )

Your point was well meant, and I hope that you do spend time on the other forums "correcting" the misinformation of others, I agree that you should not take a position of authority when you have no idea what is being discussed, but there is nothing wrong with asking questions and giving an opinion.....
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

.. and when visiting, always be aware of your role as "ambassador" for Shorinji Kempo. If you use the name in your sig, then other people will take what you say as being representative of all Shorinji Kenshi. This is a part of nature. We base our judgement in many cases on first impressions.

Be happy, be nice, be courteous... and make them wonder why they aren't doing Shorinji Kempo.

That doesn't mean you need to come across like a Hare Krishna devotee, all sandals, beads and inane grinning. You can be a miserable old git like me, if you like, just make sure you are aware of how your actions will be perceived.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast