Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Katori Shinto ryu jujutsu

Likes (received)

I believe Richard is talking about an NHK produced documentary called Kobudo. It featured Owari Kan-ryu (with some Shinkage-ryu), Takenouchi-ryu, Daito-ryu (Kondo Sensei), Katori Shinto-ryu (with a lengthy interview with Otake Risuke sensei), some swimming school (Kobori-ryu?), Taisha-ryu, Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu (very limited on this), and Jigen-ryu.

In the TSKSR portion it did have only like 3 or 4 techniques done by Otake Sensei. Otake Sensei did a gyaku waza when the attacker grabbed the top knot. Another was a variation to the first one but instead of the top knot the attacker grabbed the ear. Another technique was a double forearm strike to the opponent's arm to break his elbow when he tried to attack to the face. another was a back hand slap to the opponent's face. This is all from memory, so I may have a few items wrong.

To me the most impressive stuff was TSKSR and Taisha-ryu. The Taisha-ryu iai they showed was very nice. All other stuff was great as well.

You will notice that I mention this TV show earlier in this thread.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Hi George,

well seems to me all the more reason to get a copy. And not just for the Katori Shinto-ryu jujutsu. Just in case Richard's gone training in Japan for the next two years without access to a computer anybody else who knows of this tape? And where to get a copy?

So all of you E-budoka let's chant "tape - tape - tape......now concentrate...tape....tape....tape send message to
    E-budo...tape ....tape...tape......"

best

Johan Smits

Mekugi Guest

For the record, the full title is Kubudo Hozonban (Kobudo Masters).
    I taped it off of TV a few years ago. It is too bad they do not release it on video or DVD yet. I thought they did last year, but it appears that was my imagination.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Kohler
    I believe Richard is talking about an NHK produced documentary called Kobudo.

Likes (received)

Okay Russ and all,

I am glad that a lot of people on E-budo have it on tape (maybe we can make a poll?).

But the question that keeps booming through my brains is: Can I obtain a copy from you?

AArrrrrgggghhhhhh.

Johan Smits

Likes (received)

Ahh the tape. It is a good tape!

Likes (received)

That is a low blow - ya're being cruel!!

Just what I like I am a jujutsu man after all. Big smiley (never get them to work).

In spite of it all.

best,

Johan Smits

Likes (received)

Russ, Steve..
    Great tape..Thanks for the look too...Have you managed to see the Iaido-Shinkage Ryu DVD/Book set with the intro by Sonny Chiba?Some good stuff there too..Although not as wide ranging as the Kobudo documentary..
    Russ, are you coming to the Budokan this weekend?Steve, I'll tape as much as I can and photograph the rest, Takagi Sensei can't make it either..
    Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Mekugi Guest

Default Tape that bad-boy...

I can't make it- work has me double shifting because one of our teachers quit. PLEASE DO TAPE IT. Maybe other would be interested in seeing it (hint..hint). I'll give you a lovely Valentine if you do....ok maybe that is more threatening than bribing. How about if you don't, I'll give you a Valentine?

Quote Originally Posted by fifthchamber
    Russ, are you coming to the Budokan this weekend?Steve, I'll tape as much as I can and photograph the rest, Takagi Sensei can't make it either..
    Regards.

Likes (received)

Hi Russ..
    Don't know if I can video the whole thing as I can only use the Camera to record...But the memory is better than last year so I can get about 7 minutes of stuff maybe..Takeuchi Ryu dake maybe..
    I WILL take pictures though..I have too..Otherwise Kiri would have nothing to moan about later in life...And I can't be a great husband..That's too hard..
    Heh..About that Valentine?.....Ummm...I hear Siberia is warm in Spring..
    Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Mekugi Guest

You are totally getting a Valentine. We need to put together A) people with canmcorders or B) find someone who will tape it. I wonder if Robert R. is going (Rob, if you are reading in please do bring a recorder).

Anyway, whatever you can give, I would like to beg off you. I have the Atsuta jinja embu on tape (with some of the Kusarigama of Tendo ryu, very kewl). Maybe we can trade? I am going to set up nicely this next time around, with like 3 different people taping so I can get the whole thing with angles. At least, I am working on it...nothing set in stone yet.

-Russ
    Quote Originally Posted by fifthchamber
    Hi Russ..
    Don't know if I can video the whole thing as I can only use the Camera to record...But the memory is better than last year so I can get about 7 minutes of stuff maybe..Takeuchi Ryu dake maybe..
    I WILL take pictures though..I have too..Otherwise Kiri would have nothing to moan about later in life...And I can't be a great husband..That's too hard..
    Heh..About that Valentine?.....Ummm...I hear Siberia is warm in Spring..
    Regards.

Likes (received)

Last night Marishiten appeared to me in a dream in the form of a strikingly beautiful tall brunette.

She granted me a wish - and naturally I asked her about the jujutsu of Katori Shinto-ryu.

She showed me a small dojo in which Otake sensei executed jujutsutechniques. Apart from the gyaku waza Geoge Kohler mentioned Otake sensei showed an escape against mune dori. Two basic tehodoki techniques and a gyaku seoi entry coupled with hiji ate from which you can either break the arm of throw your opponent.

When I asked her why people are doing so mysterious about the jujutsu part of the curriculum she just smiled and and made a mysterious mudra by pointing an indexfinger up towards the sky and moved it slowly from side to side.

She promised to visit me again when my wishes have improved (left me wondering what she meant) and disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

Best regards (oh and she said to say hello to all of you E-budo-buggers, her words not mine.)

Johan Smits

Likes (received)

Looks like someone got a videotape.

Likes (received)

No Steve..........It was a dream in which, thanks to divine intervention, sensei himself showed me the inner secrets of said ryu.

I think of starting me own ryu now given the divine blessing I got from the dark lady. As soon as I got the monthly contribution figured out I will make a statement here on E-budo and claim sokeship. We will be recognized by the shaking finger mudra chanting a secret negative sound.

Hah, tapes - us soke's don't do tapes (apart from those we can sell for an ungodly amount of money). Mysteriously the tapes will be blank and only those who are initiated into the secrets of our ryu will be abel to view what's on it.

Not so humble now.

Johan Smits (have to figure out a name yet)

Likes (received)

I'm going to Japan and Sugino dojo in april. Although the TSKSR Ju Jutsu is not taught on a regular basis there, I'll ask Sensei humbly for a demonstration of the techniques. With my background in Aikido I would be very interested in seeing them myself.

Hopefully I can remember them, too. There are 36 of them...

I'm not sure if Sensei would let me video tape them, but I might ask ;-)
    Yours friendly,

K. Sandven

Blog: My Life In Budo

Likes (received)

Wink

Kristoffer,

That is a splendid idea! Not all people are evildoers some of us are interested without evil intentions.

I hereby promise to better my life and forsake sokeship and hefty financial contributions.

Actually the Marishiten I mentioned in my earlier posts was my wife who gave me a worldwide recognized mudra when I mentioned Katori Shinto-ryu jujutsu in bed.

best regards,

Johan Smits

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast