Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A Few Q's from a Newb

Tristan Guest

Default A Few Q's from a Newb

~~
    First off, I would like to apologize in advance for my niavety concerning subjects held in high regard at the forums and I hope I don't offend anyone here.

I have been considering taking up some kind of weapons based training for some time now (Swordsmanship, Archery, what have you) and have narrowed it down to a Japanese style of swordsmanship. Part of the reason is my fascination with Japanese art & style. But the main reason is the etiquette, manor, and mind development that go along with this regions training. However, I realise that that is not all that narrow and was trying to find information on the various styles that exist. I have searched on the 'net some, but I almost always just get sites that sell swords and kamas and such.

I suppose what I am looking for at the moment is reference materials. Books and the like that can possibly help me get started with learning proper grip and basics of this nature. I realise that to properly train, I should find a school to join.(By the way, what is a ryu exactly? I was assuming is was either 'school' or 'style' or something of this nature perhaps?) However, due to my current situation (living in the boonies with no liscence for a few more months yet), that is just not an option at the moment.

I plan on checking the school that is within a tolerable driving distance from my home when I get my liscence back. I suppose since there isn't really a second option, would it be wise to perhaps see what style the one place that will be an option practices? I suppose that would be the best option, but I was hoping to find some materials on the basics, so that it could be applied to many styles.

I realise this post was probably a bit vague and extremely uneducated sounding, but I'm hoping that everyone understands what I am getting at. Any information on anything related to this post would be extremely appreciated as I have had a hard time finding any.

One further question: If Kenjutsu is "The Art of the Sword", what is practice of the Kama called? That is a weapon that has been really intriguing me. I've been wanting to see someone wield it as it seems like a difficult weapon to properly utilize.
    ~~
    Again, thank you everyone for any information and for not beatin' down the stupid 'noob. (nudge, nudge)

A. M. Jauregui Guest

Kendo: Its Philosophy, History and Means to Personal Growth by Minoru Kiyota

This is a costly, hard to read, hard to find, but wonderful book on the, “the etiquette, manor, and mind development that go along with this regions training.“

Looking at a Far Mountain: A Study of Kendo Kata by Paul Budden

Do not be fooled by the cover this is a solid kendo Kata book that can be found very inexpensively. While some, not I btw, belittle the the katas found in kendo - it is a good slice of different katas from older schools of sword.

As for your other questions, I shall leave them to be answered others more knowledgeable then I.

Likes (received)

Talking How about?

This is Kendo, Warner and Sasamori

Japanese Swordsmanship, Draeger & Warner

No kendo person's library is complete without the above two books
    David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

Likes (received)

I think Kendo: The Definitive Guide Hiroshi Ozawa is also a very informative guide on it's own and also works well as a companion volume to the other books mentioned.

However, instruction (as you said in your post)is your best option. You don't want to start to learn bad habits that might prove difficult to get rid of later.
    Richie Styles

Likes (received)

Default Sword FAQ

If Mr. Gendzwill doesn't mind (I got a lot of mileage out of it):

http://www.kendo-sask.com/swordfaq.htm

Nicholas Lauridsen
    Nicholas Lauridsen
    文武一
    1. Two heavy trestles, and a board
      Where Sato's gift, a changeless sword,
      By pen and paper lies,
      That it may moralise
      My days out of their aimlessness.
    Yeats, from "Meditations in Time of Civil War"

Tristan Guest

~~
    Thanks for the link, it was quite a bit helpful (it even had a few book suggestions). I'll have to read through it a few more times.

Thanks for the suggestions on Kendo everyone, but I was under the impression (from my limited knowledge) that much of Kendo's techniques were impractical when using cutting blades. I suppose I wasn't exactly clear on what my interests were, so that's my fault. I was actually looking for live blade techniques as opposed to using a Shinai (is that how it's spelled?).

Uh-oh, another question: I was curious as to the differences between different ryu? Is it a question of technique, styles taught, mental foucs versus physical practicality or what?
    ~~

Likes (received)

Tristan,
    Since I am from the Netherlands,I don't know what swordschools there are in your area[are there many in the US?]
    I practice Katori Shinto Ryu[as well as Jodo and Iaido]which is one of the great old schools that has combat deep in its soul.
    But you mention live blades,these are only used in Iaijutsu practice,never in kenjutsu!!
    We all use bokken in our training,we do want to enjoy each others company for more than a day
    Kendo has great value,it will develop speed,strenght and balance in your footwork,the foundation of the swordsmen.
    Please keep in mind that all arts have their place and loyal students.

A. M. Jauregui Guest

Brain the kata of kendo is taken from a few diffent ryu.

The reason why I suggested picking up the 2nd book that I listed was that it explains those kata, which will give you a feel for which ryu you might want to study.

There is no doubt that kendo guys adore kendo here.

But I think that you would prefer a sogo bujutsu (total system?) like TSKSR...

Likes (received)

Hang around, my friend, and you will learn a whole lot here at e-budo (welcome, by the way!).

Of course there's some argument about kendo but don't be fooled, it's the bomb-diggety, and all kendo practitioners are good-looking, eloquent, and otherwise superior. (Search through some old posts for more extrapolation using e-budo's search function.)

You will flat-out be unable to learn anything from a book, I'm sorry to say. One good intro book that utilizes bokken as a general tool rather than a ryu-specific manual is David Lowry's "Bokken." Nicholas Suino has a good book, too: "Practice Drills for Japanese Swordsmanship" that you'll find useful; do not skip the introduction!

The ryu situation is this: they are small, run by a family head that dictates what happens in them, and they are almost like "intellectual property." While a kickboxing style might differ from club to club, a ryu is much more formal and distinct. And, last but not least noteworthy, you will hardly ever find authentic kenjutsu ryu outside of Japan. See www.koryu.com for more.

More accessible will be iaido (search for iaido here), kendo, shinkendo, and the sword-work of aikido. I know this doesn't seem like legit kenjutsu to you but these are all good avenues into Japanese swordsmanship.
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

A. M. Jauregui Guest

Originally posted by Charlie Kondek
    Of course there's some argument about kendo but don't be fooled, it's the bomb-diggety, and all kendo practitioners are good-looking, eloquent, and otherwise superior.
    Isn’t that the truth Charlie. I attribute all of those characteristics (that I still possess) to my kendo days as a young girl.

But I have to disagree with who Charlie on another point... The books that I recommended are top-notch. Everyone knows that reading is fundamental.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by A.M. Jauregui
    I attribute all of those characteristics (that I still possess) to my kendo days as a young girl.
    Haha! There's way more to it than that, Ana!

But you're right, all of the books presented here have been good.
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

Mr.Kondek,
    you are both wise and funny,but i must disagree on your point about ryu outside of Japan.
    Though training in Japan is every students dream and goal[for an extended period ]it is a strange notion that there excist no ryu outside of Japan.
    I can assure you that in our dojo ,we train authentic Katori Shinto Ryu ,12 hours a week,52 weeks a year with a small group of 5 people.
    We may not be japanese,we do not train in an ancient 300 year old dojo or under Shihan Otake's direct guidance,but we are swordsmen with a warriors spirit.
    Our dojo's name is Tsunami,please respect our dedication,and we are not alone,there are others that practice for over 20 years.

Tristan Guest

Originally posted by Grey Wolf

But you mention live blades,these are only used in Iaijutsu practice,never in kenjutsu!!
    We all use bokken in our training,we do want to enjoy each others company for more than a day
    Kendo has great value,it will develop speed,strenght and balance in your footwork,the foundation of the swordsmen.
    Please keep in mind that all arts have their place and loyal students.
    ~~
    Forgive me for my ignorance, but I meant "live blades" as in practice of techniques usable by a live blade. I have read that bokken keep this kind of style which is what I'm interested in. I don't necessarily mean that I must learn an art that practices with a live blade. I just mean that I would like to practice an art that has "applications", if you will, to a live blade.
    ~~

Tristan Guest

Originally posted by Charlie Kondek
    all kendo practitioners are good-looking, eloquent, and otherwise superior.
    ~~
    *immediately strives to be Kendoka*
    ~~

Tristan Guest

~~
    Please forgive my triple posting, but I just found out that I can't edit my posts at this forum (that's kinda weird, why is that?). Anyway, is there anyone who has AOL instant messanger that wouldn't mind me IM'ing them to discuss this topic? I like posting, but it is kind of slow for a back and forth conversation.
    ~~

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast