Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: A Few Q's from a Newb

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Tristan

~~
    Shinkendo sounds like fun (that's Japanese fencing, right?), but I'll probably be S.O.L. on that one as well. The more I read about it the more it seems likely that I should be able to find an Iaido school that will be within a tolerable driving distance. Is there a site to find a school? I found one for kendo (IKF website, I think), but not specifically Iaido. Or do most Kendo schools teach Iaido as well? I read that many high ranking Kendoka are also high ranking Iaidoka and vice versa.
    ~~
    Your highest probability is kendo, followed by federation iaido (ZNKR or ZNIR), then shinkendo (mainly in the US and not that common) and after that some koryu or other. Most kendo schools do not teach iaido, but if there is iaido about they will know about it. I ought to rephrase that FAQ statement - "many" doesn't mean "most". Most senior kendoka have had some exposure to iaido and some do both. I can think of 4 or 5 sensei in Canada for example that do both well, out of 3 dozen or so kendo sensei in the country as a whole.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

There's between 3 & 6 ZNIR affiliated instructors in the US(depends on your definition of affiliated instructors). There might actually be more Shinkendo instructors. If I'm not mistaken, your much more likely to find a Jikishinkai instructor in this country, quite the opposite from the situation in Japan.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Tristan Guest

~~
    What's Jikishinkai?
    ~~

Likes (received)

Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu organization chaired by Shimabukuro Masayuki.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

The Nippon Kobudo Jikishin-kai is the organization founded in 1975 by Miura Takeyuki, Hanshi, Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu iai-jutsu.

Shimabukuro Sensei, is the chairman of the Jikishin-kai USA/International - who is authorized to represent Miura Hanshi and the Nippon Kobudo Jikishin-kai outside of Japan.

I am not aware of any JKI affiliated dojos in Wisconsin, although a google search of "iaido Wisconsin" did provide several 'hits' for dojos.

Regards,
    Erik Tracy
    JKI

Originally posted by Tristan
    ~~
    What's Jikishinkai?
    ~~

Tristan Guest

~~
    Erg. I searched "iaido wisconsin", but either came up with articles and such from University of Wisconsin schools, or came up with Aikido schools. Still searching though. I am only a few miles from the Illinois border, so I'm going to search there now as well. And I should have slapped myself for not knowing the word Jikishinkai. I've read about MJER and MSR, but always forget what they actually stand for.
    ~~

A. M. Jauregui Guest

I heard a rumor that there is a Katori Shinto Ryu dojo in Madison Wisconsin. If someone can confirm it is still there, it might be something that you may be happy with, Brian.

Old links that a quick web search brought up:
    http://www.uoguelph.ca/~kataylor/89tin98.htm

http://collection.nlc-bnc.ca/100/202...998/tin89.html

Edit: Mapquest states that Lake Geneva is about 83 miles and 1.5 hours from Madison... *Sigh*
    Last edited by A. M. Jauregui; 13th July 2003 at 16:04.

Tristan Guest

~~
    It's more like an hour 'cause it's all freeway from my house. Anyway, the hour or so I'm willing to put with depending on when classes are. Now if they just had a website.....
    ~~

Likes (received)

Mr.Mahan or Mr.Ulvestad,
    can either of you please explain to me what you understand to be Muso Shinden Ryu.From what I learned,at least some of the kata's come from other ryu like Omori and Eishin.
    Is this false??
    Len van der Wolf

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Grey Wolf
    Mr.Mahan or Mr.Ulvestad,
    can either of you please explain to me what you understand to be Muso Shinden Ryu.From what I learned,at least some of the kata's come from other ryu like Omori and Eishin.
    Is this false??
    Welcome back from your forced absence.
    a simple overview of msr as i know it:

Muso shinden ryu, solo-kata:
    Level 1, shoden, 12 kata from Omori ryu
    Level 2 chuden, 10 kata from Eishin ryu
    Level 3 okuden/okuiai 21 kata

then you have the paired kata
    Tachiuchi no kurai 10 kata
    tsumiai no kurai 10 kata
    And there are still more stuff hidden in msr, that not always end up in an european or american dojo. ;-)
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

Thanks Roar,
    I'm glad i don't follow false teachings
    There was no forced absence i was aware of,just a long day of training.
    Learned something interesting too,Jodo has sword kata's ,good ones at that.
    I've heard whispers of those hidden kata's,so they excist in Norway too
    Len van der Wolf

Likes (received)

For completeness sake, I'll list the MJER stuff as well.

The Omori Ryu waza were added to the MJER curriculum quite a long time ago. We don't not typically refer to them as Omori ryu. They are typically refered to as the Seiza no Bu waza of MJER.

MJER's curriculum is somewhat different than MSR as are some of the basic principles behind the two arts. For instance, there are only 11 waza in Seiza no Bu not 12, and a couple of those are very different from one style to the other.

Here are the sets that I practice regularly.
    Seiza no Bu(11 waza)
    Batto Ho no Bu(7 waza)
    Batto Ho no Oku Iai(4 waza)
    Tate Hiza no Bu(10 waza)
    Oku Tachi Waza(11 waza)
    Ii Waza(10? waza, I'm blanking for some reason)
    Tachi Uchi no Kurai(7 waza)
    Toho no Bu(5 waza)

In all fairness, I may have botched one or two of the set names a bit. I know of several more sets that I am not actively practicing yet, including Tsumeai and Bangai, kae waza(variations), plus a few more that I know exist but don't know the names of. They are all considered Eishin Ryu with the exception of Toho no Bu which is a shared set used by the Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei and aren't actually part of MJER. The waza listed above are not a collection of teachings from different styles. They are a single unified curriculum teaching a very cohesive set of principles.

Keep in mind that the waza are not the ryu. They are just the set of exercise routines which impart the principles of the ryu to it's practitioners.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

"Thanks Roar,
    I'm glad i don't follow false teachings
    There was no forced absence i was aware of,just a long day of training.
    Learned something interesting too,Jodo has sword kata's ,good ones at that."

Originally, they was done in tskr, so they should be quite good right?;-)

"I've heard whispers of those hidden kata's,so they excist in Norway too"

Only the whispers

In mjer and msr you also have hayanuki, the chuden set performed without a break. A mjer-sensei in Tokyo, hachidan, demanded that his students should do hayanuki very fast(i dont remember how many seconds), and correct of course, before teaching them okuiai.
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

MJER's curriculum is somewhat different than MSR as are some of the basic principles behind the two arts. For instance, there are only 11 waza in Seiza no Bu not 12.

Some practise 12 in mjer as well, It has to be yaegaki kaewasa in mjer, called inyo shintai kaewasa in msr.

My overview of shoden in the two arts:

MSR: MJER:
    shohatto mae
    sato migi
    uto hidari
    atarito ushiro
    in yo shintai yaegaki
    ryuto uke nagashi
    junto kaishaku
    gyakuto tsuke komi
    seichuto tsuki kage
    koranto oi kaze
    inyo shintai kaewasa yaegaki kaewasa(optional)
    nukiuchi(batto) Nuki uchi

I know there are also other names in use on these kata, and some iaidoka do nr 11 as nr 12, since it was added last to the system.
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

What a mess, try again:

Originally posted by ulvulv
    MJER's curriculum is somewhat different than MSR as are some of the basic principles behind the two arts. For instance, there are only 11 waza in Seiza no Bu not 12.

Some practise 12 in mjer as well, It has to be yaegaki kaewasa in mjer, called inyo shintai kaewasa in msr.

My overview of shoden in the two arts:

MSR==============MJER:
    shohatto===========mae
    sato==============migi
    uto===============hidari
    atarito============= ushiro
    in yo shintai========= yaegaki
    ryuto===============uke nagashi
    junto===============kaishaku
    gyakuto=============tsuke komi
    seichuto=============tsuki kage
    koranto==============oi kaze
    inyo shintai kaewasa === yaegaki kaewasa(optional)
    nukiuchi(batto) ======== Nuki uchi

I know there are also other names in use on these kata, and some iaidoka do nr 11 as nr 12, since it was added last to the system.
    Roar Ulvestad

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast