Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Review of John Stevens’ 2003 East Coast Classical Aikido Seminar

Legolas Guest

It's nice to see pictures of my dojo, ASNJ, on the web.
    Byron

Likes (received)

Hello Legolas,

Welcome to E-Budo.

Having read the books and seen the films, released so far, I fully applaud of your choice user name.

However, in agreeing to the conditions for using this forum, you also agreed to use your real name in your posts, which is not, presumably, Byron Legolas.

I suggest you add your real name to your signature, so that it will appear at the bottom each post you send.

Best regards,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Legolas Guest

In the future I'll make sure I type my full name at the bottom of each post although I feel real uncomfortable doing so.
    Byron Curry

Likes (received)

Welcome Bryon!

I don't think you have much to worry about, we all use our names here. I was wonderfull being at your dojo, and meeting the students there. I hope to train there again sometime. John Stevens and the Homeikan students really enjoyed your hospitallity! Please pass my regards on to Rick Stickles Sensei.

Ron

Legolas Guest

I'll tell Sensei when I see him. I've been on vacation for the past month and a half and I've been busy with school and work. Hopefully my Aikido schedule will resume in Sept.

I know that some of my dojo mates were excited by the seminar. One in particular practices kotodama so you can imagine how he felt about it.
    Byron Curry

bruceb Guest

Default Sounds coming into practice ...

I know Sensei Stickles has used sounds and meditation for years, but there is new evidence that properly using sound in practice increases energy and promotes healing. What does it heal, you may ask? Well, what do think some of the warm up exercises are designed to do for Aikido?

The more John Stevens sensei explains what he knows, or thinks he knows, the more secondary, and mulitple proofs support much of my research to find the proper sounds to enhance movement and promote health.

I believe, the aikido we practice has it in there, but we don't always understand what sounds enhance or detract. That is to say, the manner is which sounds are used with movement is as important as the physical manipulations that send signals through the body to the brain as sounds or vibrations are to send a secondary set of signals which the brain interprets and acts upon, also.

The simplicaity to chanting has a much deeper meaning for heath and wel being than we seem to give it credit for. Just like any thing that is either good or bad, we provide the conditions for something to grow, and then we accept what works best. In experienceing the benefits of what works best, we find the amount of elements needed to promote the growth, or the conditions we wish, and then the results are as good as they can be .... barring genetic adaptations.

The kotodama would seem to be another key to understanding sounds and how they might be used. We just need to find the clues hidden amongst the different martial arts and cultures of humanity around the world, eh? No small task.

I do believe the codification of sounds, movements and thoughts will come to pass in my lifetime .... and be applied to Aikido, too.

Likes (received)

Nice to see Stevens Sensei in action. I've read your books. Thank you.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Chrome View Post
    Nice to see Stevens Sensei in action. I've read your books. Thank you.
    Hello,

I just thought I would remind you that the last post in the thread in which you are posting was made just over 12 years ago.

This is not wrong, of course, but I suspect that most of the participants are no longer active members. Don Modesto, for example, passed away a few months ago. I am not sure whether Ron T still trains.

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by P Goldsbury View Post
    Hello,

I just thought I would remind you that the last post in the thread in which you are posting was made just over 12 years ago.

This is not wrong, of course, but I suspect that most of the participants are no longer active members. Don Modesto, for example, passed away a few months ago. I am not sure whether Ron T still trains.

Best wishes,
    Ron was still training as of this past October.....
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Ron doesn't spend much time on E-Budo these days, though he does occasionally post on Facebook. And as far as I know, he is still training.
    Cady Goldfield

349 Malvar Street, Dipolog City,7100, ZN, Philippines
    Likes (received)

The Japan government gives permissions to all martial arts traditions but with law abiding performance.

Likes (received)

Ron Son,
    So it’s been 13 years since that memorable Classical Aikido seminar. The other day I found a picture collage that one of your friends made and Stevens Sensei did his calligraphy on it. Nice memento.
    Hope, you have a chance to incorporate some of the classical aikido ideas in your training. I find the notion of pillars of aikido Stevens Sensei presents in Classical Aikido provides neatly organized curriculum designed to move forward the physical, social, and spiritual aspects of the art. Through my own progression in learning well-thought-out sets of techniques I discover all vital requirements for proper aikido waza execution embodied in each and every pillar.
    Let me know if you ever find yourself travelling through Greensboro, NC.
    Andrew Grochowski

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3