Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dave Lowry's books

Likes (received)

Default Dave Lowry's books

I recently finished reading Dave Lowry's two books "Traditions" and "Moving Toward Stillness" and I found them to be be brilliant. His columns were and still are the only reason I even pick up a Black Belt magazine.

I found myself nodding my head over and over again as he spoke about topics such as "cold rice", progessing in a spiral and of course "bending like the bamboo". Clearly he has no time for those who turn martial arts into a sport or want a quick and easy McDojo solution. In a lot of ways, what he says is the same as what Hatsumi says.

On the other hand, I found that other things he wrote to be very very different from what my Bujinkan experience was. His experience of, and views on the basics and kata seem especially different. He even devotes a whole essay to why he thinks the word "Play" is not appropriate for describing martial arts training!

Did anyone else from the x-kans read his books and notice the same things? i.e. similarities and differences.

Braden

Oh, it is interesting to note that the discussion on E-Budo about Tattoos actually got a mention in his book! (Page 85 of Traditions). Looking back at the thread, you can see how right he is that no-one bothered to ask the senior teacher the reasons for his decision before jumping to criticize him.
    ----------------
    Braden Nicols

Kevin G Guest

Be sure to pick up a book of his called Persimmon Wind, it has lots of info on Japanese history, Mikkyo, and other esoteric aspects of bujutsu training. Its a great read!

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

I`ve gotta say that Mr. Lowry is a truly inspirational writer. In fact Autumn Lightning is the book that moved me to join the Bujinkan.
    I think that he was speaking about "play" in a very different sense than what Hatsumi Sensei means (I think). Sensei (again, I think) is trying to convey a sense of exploration and discovery in class. I just attended my first class with him and he had a huge grin on his face the whole time. There is a big difference between petting a tiger and sticking your head in its mouth. (I think)
    Jared Miracle
    <a href="http://www.fudoyama.com">Purdue Yamaneko Shibu</a>

Likes (received)

Default What do you think...

Braden-
    I agree with you as far as Mr. Lowry's books being extremely read-able
    and i have anjoyed them all very much.
    I pose this question to all who subscribe to this thread and have read his books-
    When he talks about back in the 'old days' and he refers to the way they used to do tournaments (the name escapes me at the moment)do any of you think this would have any value in training today? Is this something we should bring back as it was, or modify it?
    Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Rob Acox

P.S. The book i am refering to for the old way of doing tournaments comes from "Traditions"
    Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
    that here obedient to their laws we lie.

"Come and take them!" King Leonidas' response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms at the battle of Thermopylae.