Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: What type of coffee maker(s) do you have?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traditional Coffee Maker

11 57.89%
  • Only instant coffee

0 0%
  • Only "pan" coffee

1 5.26%
  • Espresso

9 47.37%
  • Presso-pan

3 15.79%
  • Vacuum pot

3 15.79%
  • Other, specify

3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What kind of coffee makers do you have?

Chiburi Guest

Exclamation What kind of coffee makers do you have?

As a friend of delicious quality coffee, I'd like to ask you what type of coffee makers you have? Feel free to elaborate on your favorite coffee drinks!
    Although you can find me at my chosen coffee shop pretty much every day, I'm a friend of coffee made with a vacuum pot (I have one by Bodum; don't know if anyone else makes them). As Corby Cummer said, "The vacuum pot is truly the CD player of coffeemakers; all you taste is the coffee."
    I have two favourite blends; one is a blend of Kenya with a little darker roast, and for espresso, a dark roasted Habanero. Delicious coffee with distinctive and strong aromas. I'm also falling in love with a new, organically grown Italian-type strong espresso (even Fair Trade!), but still haven't really gotten to the taste because the grinders have trouble getting to high-enough rpm and grind it fine enough. Although there's not much of a crema on it, it spices up even the worst day.

We'll see if this will get any attention amongst the multiple Scotch threads

Cheers,

Likes (received)

I have a Gevalia traditional coffee maker, a Mr. Coffee Sr. and a Saeco Vapore expresso/cappuchino machine. I prefer very dark Javan and Columbian blends, which have a powerful taste without acidity. The Gevalia 'Breakfast Blend' from East Africa, Central, and South America is very good too.
    David F. Craik

A. M. Jauregui Guest

I have a Cuisinart Automatic Grind & Brew Coffee Maker. Grinds up fresh whole beans. (an old college friend is an executive at Gavina Coffee...) everyday. Overall it is a good coffee maker for it does most maintenance automatically, is fairly inexpensive, has a ton of settings for those into fine tuning, does a wonderful job at brewing a cup.

My coffee of choice at home is Colombian Supremo from Gavina Coffee Don Francisco's line. But Moka Java, Au Chocolate, and French Vanilla are nice when I want to mix it up.

Likes (received)

Well, I don't know what a "pan" is when referring to coffee makers, but I can list what the common types are in the US

1) Percolator. These were very common up until the mid 70's. They take longer, can be a bit noisy, but turn out a great cup of coffee.

2) Drip Coffee. Became very popular in the 70's, with "Mr. Coffee". Do a good job, but can be flaky at times

3) Espresso Machine. If you live is Seattle, you will eventually get one. Pumps hot steam through the ground coffee to make espresso and also has an attachment to pump steam through your milk to make it frothy.

I use an expresso machine, almost daily, and my wife uses a Cuisinart drip coffee maker.

My recipe for a honkin' big mocha espresso that is just decadent.

3 1 oz pumps of Hershey's chocolate syrup
    2 large shots of espresso (Colombian Supremo)
    An equal amount of 1/2 & 1/2 (half cream/half milk for those of you in many parts of the world where they don't sell it) steamed up into a thick froth. Use all of it.

Whipped cream on top with cinnamon if you want it.

Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Likes (received)

Default hehe..forgot that one

Yeah, I have an old percolator around too. I gotta find it...Harvey's right, they make a great cup of Joe.
    David F. Craik

Daishi Guest

I just have the type where you boil your own water and pour it through the filter yourself. Extremely low maintenance and easy to clean.

Dale Heisler

A. M. Jauregui Guest

Dale bet you have a percolator. Does it look something like this?

Likes (received)

Otto, since you're a Finn: Check out http://www.mokkamestarit.fi
    So far the best quality coffee I've found from Finland. They do everything a bit better than Robert's does and they'll answer to your demands when it comes to coffee products.

I'm a coffee geek too. I almost did weep when I heard that the Mestarit's local shop had to quit the merchandise here - but luckily, local tobacco shop carries their products (and orders the stuff we coffee-holists want). Robert's stuff just doesn't make the final cut...

I use the presso pan/bistro can (however one wants to call it), a classic moka pot (you forgot that from the list - the stove-used "espresso" pan) and a good espresso machine. Favourite coffees: Kenya AA, Jamaican Blue Mountain, Mexico Maragogype, Colombia Peaberry. Also others, there are too many nice coffees to limit the list to that.

Try Maragogype, really. I love it - but it seems to divide people a bit. It has its personal flavour.
    Jussi Häkkinen
    Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do
    Turku, Finland

Likes (received)

I actually preferred to use a percolator up until the mid 80's. A lot of those early drip coffee makers were pretty lame and what came out of them was rather variable.I still find that if you want really strong coffee a drip machine usually doesn't cut it very well.

Of course, there is something about listening to an old percolator going brrrrip, brrrrip..grrrrrrrrlllllp....brrrip, brrrip that just takes me back to being a little kid. That and watching the coffee splash around in the glass ball at the top.

Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Chiburi Guest

Jussi,
    I can't say I'm always satisfied with what Robert's has to give, but they pretty much dominate the Finnish market. For example, if you're looking for special coffee, you'll most likely bump into a Robert's Coffee shop, simply because they seem have thought out the importance of shop placement to attract customers..don't know if that's domination of the market, but isn't Paulig the biggest importer of coffee in Finland?

But that aside, I've tried the smaller shops that specialize in coffees and other special products, and they sell delicious coffee, but most days the ease of crapping a bag of Habanero from a Robert's behind a corner just does it well enough. Bigger ain't better -- it's just easier!

Thanks for the link! I'll certainly take a closer look at their products and try them!

I've thought about trying those espresso "pans", but since I have 3 or 4 coffee makers already...but if it's that good, I guess I have to try!

Cheers,

Likes (received)

Default Ouch!

the ease of crapping a bag of Habanero
    Last edited by Soulend; 28th July 2003 at 10:14.
    David F. Craik

Chiburi Guest

Default Re: Ouch!

Originally posted by Soulend
    the ease of crapping a bag of Habanero
    Please elaborate; it ain't that funny

Cheers,

A. M. Jauregui Guest

Phil, what is that instant coffee or just a bit of promotion?
    Last edited by A. M. Jauregui; 28th July 2003 at 22:01.

Likes (received)

Default oh yes it is....lol

Originally posted by Chiburi

Please elaborate; it ain't that funny

Cheers,
    Hehe...Otto, perhaps there's a bit of a language barrier. 'Crapping' is defecating, and Habanero is the name of an extremely hot, burning pepper:

http://www.americanspice.com/catalog...anero%20pepper

Your remark just brought a rather funny visual to mind, as you can probably imagine.
    David F. Craik

Heli Guest

1) Percolator. These were very common up until the mid 70's. They take longer, can be a bit noisy, but turn out a great cup of coffee.
    Oooh, someone else has a percolator, too... I agree, it's a bit noisy, but it does make an excellent cup of coffee. Not to mention it's really easy maintenance.

Although there is absolutely nothing better than a big cup of black coffee that has been made in a traditional pan (a kettle, in other words) above a camp fire after spending the morning in the fen picking cloudberries...

Otto, if you are going to Helsinki anytime soon, there's this small tobacco shop called Pähkinänsärkijä in Töölö which sells a variety of coffees. It has the best selection that I've seen so far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast