Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: What type of coffee maker(s) do you have?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traditional Coffee Maker

11 57.89%
  • Only instant coffee

0 0%
  • Only "pan" coffee

1 5.26%
  • Espresso

9 47.37%
  • Presso-pan

3 15.79%
  • Vacuum pot

3 15.79%
  • Other, specify

3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What kind of coffee makers do you have?

Daishi Guest

Ana, I don't think its a percolator. A little too simple for that I think. Here's a try at attaching a picture of it...

DAle Heisler

A. M. Jauregui Guest

Very cool. Seems more like a simple drip system. Thanks for the pic...

Likes (received)

Heh, I don't wonder - somehow - why most Finns that post to e-budo are present on this thread...
    Jussi Häkkinen
    Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do
    Turku, Finland

Heli Guest

Phil, it's not instant coffee. Instant coffee is evil. It's a bit hard to explain in English, but I'll try. You boil the water, put the coffee in the water, let it boil a little and then take it off the fire and let it cool a bit before filtering the coffee. After that... Well, what you have is a good strong cup of coffee. I suggest you try it, it really is worth the trouble.

Heh, I don't wonder - somehow - why most Finns that post to e-budo are present on this thread...
    You know, neither do I. After all, it's a well known fact that all the Finns are coffee mongers and those who do MA even moreso.

'renso Guest

I suppose this falls into one of the categories above, anyway here it's called a MOKA:

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Heli
    You know, neither do I. After all, it's a well known fact that all the Finns are coffee mongers and those who do MA even moreso. [/B]

Yep - and still it is next to impossible (OK, luckily I've found Mokkamestarit - and Robert's' stuff goes in emergency as well) to find decent coffee from here. The major brands are light roasted crap that really doesn't qualify as coffee.

And being a picky bastard, I hate seminars that are located in any place northern than Tampere. Waking up in some place that ain't on a map and going to a local cafeteria, ordering latté and getting a hollow stare because they haven't heard about "latté", "café au lait" or even "cappuccino" - or worse, they have a quick-coffee machine for them - just brushes me in a wrong way.

BTW, 'renso, the maker in your pic is a moka pot, moka is the coffee that it produces - better known as mocca. Good one, I use one for my morning coffee. Bialetti makes designs that even visually are certainly pleasant, aside of being practical.

And Phil: We in Finland don't use instant coffee when going trekking or camping. We prefer good ol' fashioned black-bottom campfire driven coffee pan - water and perks inside, let it boil, drink, get a cancer! Can't beat the feeling!
    Jussi Häkkinen
    Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do
    Turku, Finland

Likes (received)

I'm sorry that I resurrect the old topic, but it's just that I myself once encountered this issue, and spent a lot of time to find really useful information, I hope that in the future will be useful to someone.
    I have an older Breville that has worked very well over the years...it has an integrated grinder but is not automatic like the Oracle. The only downside was that it didn't have dual boilers, so not as efficient when steaming milk right after pulling a shot. That said, it was around $500 and it's given us a ton of really tasty drinks over the years. I'd probably prefer something more manual than the Oracle, though it's certainly tempting if it performs well. But I think some of the art of making the espresso is a bit zen-like and can be part of the enjoyment, hence my general aversion to fully auto machines. I know a lot of aficionados will hate a bit on Breville https://thehomedweller.com/best-home...nes-under-300/ as a brand, and it may not deliver the same performance as a primo Italian work of art, but for the cost and needs, this one has suited me very well. Don't think it'll make it to the 20th anniversary, but it's hard to find anything for sale in Bed Bath & Beyond that will go that distance or come within such a reasonable price bracket. Good luck on your search, and don't forget to save for a solid grinder if that's not part of the package you decide on! On YouTube there are a lot of useful videos on a similar subject, I'll leave here one, I hope this will help someone in the future. Good luck!
    Last edited by Cidi; 17th May 2018 at 12:28. Reason: mistake in text

Likes (received)

Wow, you take your coffee seriously! I only have a manual French-press type coffeemaker, very low-tech but works fine.

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/s...10.h473.2x.jpg
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I bought own brand coffee machine from tesco was on sale for £10 ( originally £15) one of the better ones ive owned, put the water in, coffee in, switch it on, had several with timers on etc no better if not worse, been using coffee out of aldi, great for everyday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2