Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Back Injury

Likes (received)

Default Back Injury

Gasho,

Thought I'd try here first for some advice regarding my back injury. In the middle of last year I managed to damage my lower back. I felt it 'go' but it was a day or so later that the pain really set in and I had to take some time off work. As these things do it kind of healed and I got on with life. I now seem to have hit a wall regarding recovery. I've had accupuncture, manipulation(Anyone know Sensei Mizuno's friend Yoshi?-Painful!) I am now having chiropractic treatment.The system used is a very gentle one,you almost feel nothing is being done till you realise you can breath properly and are a couple of inches taller!

I'm back training full time(I took a few months off)The pain is always there loitering and I've lost my sokuto geri! I used to be very proud of the crack my dogi would make! It's now to much pain to perform this kick and I have noticed that exactly the same pain comes when I try daisharin.

On advice I'm changing the way I walk and using various exercises to strengthen my 'inner' core spinal support muscles.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any exercises you can recommend? Or am I doomed to sit out daisharin for ever?
    Sean Dixie

Likes (received)

just going to copy this to budo and the body, to see if it gets any other views.
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

MarkF Guest

You've tried non-medical treatment, have you seen an orthopod or neurologist yet? It could show something manipulation and accupuncture can't help with much (manipulation is fine as long as you know there isn't a physical reason for your injury, but you should have done so first. It may be worse now).

I've had back problems for more than twenty years, and eventually, you may have to adjust to it (pun not intended). I tried every treatment one can think of, but it only got worse. Accupuncture and manipulation make you feel better for the time being, but ultimately you will get more frustatrated as time goes by.

I've had surgery, as well, and now I have what is called an "arthritic back" from trying to move in a way it doesn't hurt, and I have two more ruptured disks they want to play with. Surgery may not be the answer, but there are other non-surgical treatments you could try.

Find another kick which makes the dogi snap or live with the pain. You can also try biofeedback exercise, along with some decent physical therapy. Consulting a sports doctor wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Find out what your options are, then decide what you think is best for you. If you consider any kind of major treatment, get two or three opinions first (re: surgical treatment). They can do microsurgery if you have a ruptured or bulging disc today. I wish I had that option before opting for surgery.

But at least have the non-invasive tests to put to rest what is causing the pain. That alone may help to relieve it. Electro myograph and a CAT scan are good places to start. At least you will find out which nerves are affected, then you could try something like out-patient traction, along with massage and ultrasound therapy. they can all be done in the same session. Most good doctors would recommend that path first.

Epidermal steroid injections are also a choice. Minimally invasive and they do work for many. Generally one treatment on each side does it.

Anyway, you have lots of choices. Get started or learn to live with it.

Mark

Likes (received)

Hi there,

I agree you definitely need to see a Dr. While both acupuncture & Chiropractic procedures can give relief to pain, you've completely skipped out on medical treatment.

You need to have a Dr. look at it & determine as to whether you have actually done some real damage. If you've torn a muscle or injured either ligaments or tendons...those things take a great deal of time to heal, up to 6 months...if you behave yourself, if you don't then you can extend this problem up to 9 months or even a year.

If you elect not to get this injury properly identified & treated, you run the risk of making this injury worse or let it develop into something permanent.

Eric L. Bookin

Jim_Jude Guest

Talking

do some bridging....

I know, I can be evil sometimes...

MarkF Guest

Muscle and ligament injury would have cleared by now, so you probably do have some kind of disc problem. It can be minor, such as a bulging disc, but timely treatment is a must. The type doesn't matter -- what works is what you do -- but you need to know what you are dealing with.

Most doctors today, begin with conservative treatment, medication (generally, muscle relaxers like Diazepam or Soma, and some type of pain reliever for the short term) and massage, ultrasound, and traction. Any doctor can prescribe it. It can be done as out patient, or a few days in traction (two hours on, one hour off, etc.) may help more.

If, along with rest and lots of it, you still have the same problem, more exploration of the damage, how severe, and whether it is causing a muscle spasm which is "pinching" a nerve, or complete rupture and herniation of the disc. Today, there is micro surgery which generally only requires overnight hospital stay and little scarring. If it is ruptured, this can remove the offending "Lamina" and take the pressure off the sciatic and/or other nerves.

In a way you are lucky that you have so many more choices, and that advanced ways of low-invasive procedures have made it much more safe. If you are wondering whether it is a disc, listen to your pain, whether or not a leg or legs go numb at different times and during activity, at rest and during exercise, does the pain stay in your lower back, or does it run down one leg or both. Keep a journal and note any similar symptoms.

Ultimately, you may want to check out a local pain control center/clinic. Relief of chronic pain is the specialty, and some rely only on therapy without drugs, though sometimes we need to admit it to treat it.

Mark