Thread: Building a Dojo from scratch!

Likes (received)

Default Building a Dojo

Hi Bob,
    My Pleasure

Phil Scudieri

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Black and Blue
    The floor is plywood.Sanded, then covered with a heavy gym floor coating. It is holding up well after 10 years.As you are mostly a karate dojo I think,you will not have to worry about tall ceilings. This helps cut building expense. I teach karate and ken, aiki is included with ken training.We have a kyudo instructor in Wash Dc(Miyako Dojo of which I am member,) but I run the classes in DE. I also have trained under Shibata XX for 9 years.I teach tai chi also. I have considered renting to a yoga class to help cut costs.As certain programs like pilaties,yoga are trendy, I dont know if I would put them in a contract. Maybe the first 3 months in advance, if it goes well, see other options. Some dojo bring in different arts like kung fu, tai chi. Tae Kwon Do,Grappling arts etc to also help with costs.You would have to feel these people out to make sure they will take care of the dojo and respect its users and owner.Here, at this point see how they feel about a contract and if they are committed. Will you have insurance? Release forms must be signed before anyone sets foot on the mat. Although they really dont hold up in court they do discourge people and at least gives you something in writing. Lawsuits are no fun.
    Good luck!
    Phil Scudieri
    Thank you for the information. I was curious if your insurance covers the people that lease mat time from you, or do you require them to carry there own? I am having a problem coming up with a name for the school. Any suggestions?

www.cs.pitt.edu/~wolfson/karate/karate/index.htm

Matt Wolfson

Likes (received)

Default Building a Dojo

I have a good plan that covers everyone in the dojo and driving to it. It also covers social events and all classes at a very reasonable price. For 50 students or so its like 500$ a year and you will sleep well at night.I can root around for their name if you like.Be sure the tennent is following all safe regulations and their methods and are safe. They will reflect on your dojo and pocketbook if you are sued.I think the private dojo in the pics is where you train now? Nice dojo except like me, they made one mistake. The windows should be higher. When we do aiki we have to be sure no one goes through a window into the fishpond. <g> As far as a name if you are having 2 or more arts you can use something budokan like we did. Some one mentioned your location, thats good to. Like Delaware Budokan. The name has to reflect whats in YOUR heart. This is an important step imho. This reflects on who YOU are,your message as a martial artist and what you want to give back.Our basic mission statement is to "leave this place a little better than we found it" I also suggest keep the dojo in a traditional style. This offers an alternitive to the over saturation of McDojos with music, trophys, posters etc. People are "blown away" when they see our place. We are out in the middle of nowhere, but people find us and many drive a long way for the experience.
    Please ask away if you need any more info. I am delighted to be of assistance.Oh yea...we have a yoga teacher starting next week.
    Phil Scudieri
    Last edited by Black and Blue; 9th March 2006 at 13:47.

Likes (received)

"have a good plan that covers everyone in the dojo and driving to it. It also covers social events and all classes at a very reasonable price. For 50 students or so its like 500$ a year and you will sleep well at night. I can root around for their name if you like."

I would like that. the quotes I have gotten are nearly double that....

"I think the private dojo in the pics is where you train now? Nice dojo except like me, they made one mistake. The windows should be higher."

Thanks for the compliement, yes it is where I train now. The windows is something I had to compromise on. it was either place the windows there or not have the covered porch. In the end I choose the porch. Reason being, someday I hope to move in there and make it my house. I will take down the bags and such and build a kitchen area and leave the rest an open studio-style floor plan.

"The name has to reflect whats in YOUR heart. This is an important step imho. This reflects on who YOU are,your message as a martial artist and what you want to give back."

You are right on about the name being very important. I agree completely. I have been working on the second school for nearly 2 years (part time) now and have been trying to come up with the name since then. I am nearly done, and should be open for business with 2 months. I am fast running out of time and need to come up with something. I do want a name that can and will encompass many arts. not only the different styles of martial arts, but disaplines like yoga. etc

"We are out in the middle of nowhere, but people find us and many drive a long way for the experience."

I am hoping for a similar effect. The second school is located in a "distressed" area. (It is the only place I could afford to buy a building and do the remodeling) I am not sure if people will make the trip there to train. I hope that the quaility of the instruction and the nice facilities will encourage people to put in the effort and make the trip. Thank you for your time and input, I find it very helpful.
    Matt Wolfson

Likes (received)

Default Building a Dojo

Hey Mat,
    Go to www.ajfusa.com This is the Alan J Flood Co. Click on <amature sports and activities>They charge 665$ for 50 stdents. They have all the info you need plus an application.It covers med exp, travel, events and I think a million coverage for you. It was a good plan I thought.Its what I used for the last 10 years. Used to be cheaper. I hope you are correct that people will come. It worked for us. Good luck and post some pics!
    Phil Scudieri

Likes (received)

Default making progress

Things have taken longer than expected. I am nearly done though. Flooring is going in now. www.cs.pitt.edu/~wolfson/karate/karate/index.htm
    matt wolfson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3