Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Judo and Sumo

Likes (received)

Default Modifying Judo Training

Interesting that you should bring this up. In my Judo training I have recently started forcing myself to avoid using my opponents gi for gripping. I have also started grabbing the obi(belt) more. Right now I have been using Uchi Mata, Osoto Gari and Tai Otoshi. I can do Kosoto Gari like that but it is more for training that practical Sumo application.

There is another thread I posted on my experiences at the U.S. Sumo Open. I strongly recommend that you read through it as I think you might come across the same problems.

In the meantime, where are you located. I may be able to refer you to someone in your area.

Also, please put your real name in your posts (E-budo rules, you know. Besides, it's good courtesy.)

There is a Texas Sumo Yahoo group and an American Sumo Yahoo group. If you are interestede shoot me an e-mail at yodel@texas.net.

Take care,
    John Hidalgo

If there is anything I can do to help, please feel free to ask.

Tibby Guest

Yeah, me and my friend in our class joke about how we are going to be screwed if we face a shirtless foe, lol. How do you do Tai Otoshi without a Gi? Put your arm around there waist, or pull with the belt? The way we do it, you grab the gi, putting your eldow in there arm put for troque. I guess a lot of sumo is more brute strength then leverage like in judo? Morotogari(sp?) is one of my favorite moves, is that used a lot with the lighter sumos?

Sorry for now putting the name, I kind of skimmed over the rules. I have to run, but count on me writing an e-mail to you later tonight or tomorrow!

Later,
    Chris Thibodeaux

Likes (received)

Default How do you do Tai Otoshi without a Gi?

Wll, Tibby, I could tell you, but then I'd have to throw you.

Seriously, though, I generally grab the opponent either at the wrist or just above the elbow with one hand and scoop the opponent's head into a headlock with the other hand. Explaining it in text is probably not the best way to present it.

Next Judo class, just try different throws by grabbing the opponent as if he or she was not wearing a gi. I think you will find it educational.

Take care,
    John Hidalgo

Tibby Guest

Default nice thread

Wll, Tibby, I could tell you, but then I'd have to throw you.
    Go for it. I'm only about a 5 hour drive from that area of Texas

I just read your thread about the first Tournament experance. Very good. You make some great points.

A question I had, do you wear Mawashi, or something else similer?

Later,
    Chris Thibodeaux

Likes (received)

Default Mawashi

The short answer is yes, we wear the mawashi. Some people wear bike shorts beneath the mawashi. Go to www.lonestarsumo.org and look at the gallery.

JH

Tibby Guest

Default Sumo body types

Ok, while your on the board, one more fast question, do lean Sumotri go any good at all? I notice you have a lean guys in your class. What about short guys. I’m a short (5’5”), stocky (150 lbs) guy, would my build help me or hurt me in sumo?

Oh, yeah, one of my favorite moves is Morotegari, is that useful?

Later,
    Chris

Likes (received)

In International Sumo there are weight classes. Most competitors I have seen in the light weight division range from 150 to 185. Short and stock is good (lower center of gravity).

Take care,
    JH

Tibby Guest

Default Lightweights.

Do most of the lightweights work with redirection, or does the light weight class still use a lot of the brute force that Sumo is famous for?

Later,
    Chris Thibodeaux

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2