Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Shindo Yoshin ryu / Shinto Yoshin ryu jujutsu

Likes (received)

Thumbs up great stuff

That's an awesome little article. Much of what he says about the purification rituals and the "imprinting" of spirits into a blade is to me reminiscent of Native American views on similar things.
    I wish sometimes that dojo culture in the western world would place more value these ritual / spiritual aspects of budo. Not for the spiritual "safety" alone, but for setting the tone and correct mindset before engaging in serious and potentially dangerous practice.
    Mind you, I'm probably making a foolish conclusion assuming that things are generally any different in Japan.
    Thanks for sharing that.
    Sean P. Tracy

Kempo-Karate, Gung fu, Stickfighting.

Likes (received)

Awhile back, Kim Taylor took me up on that one, and reported back that his CDN $1,500 cutter made consistently cleaner cuts on bamboo than did his CDN $11 Salvadoran machete. He added, however, that he still uses the $11 machete in the yard.

Likes (received)

Tsurashi Shondo wrote:
    That's an awesome little article. Much of what he says about the purification rituals and the "imprinting" of spirits into a blade is to me reminiscent of Native American views on similar things.
    I wish sometimes that dojo culture in the western world would place more value these ritual / spiritual aspects of budo. Not for the spiritual "safety" alone, but for setting the tone and correct mindset before engaging in serious and potentially dangerous practice.
    Mind you, I'm probably making a foolish conclusion assuming that things are generally any different in Japan.
    Thanks for sharing that.
    I thought that too. I doubt the article was just one level but many. At the base it is a practical way to safely test the sword. But also the sword is a symbol for the practitioners themselves. By also taking great care with the way in which deadly practices are taught and practiced by the students they are less likely to develop untamed agressiveness. By resting the swords(or practitioners) and have a period of time and maybe reflection between praticing deadly technique like how to cut someones arm off on cleave their body in half their development is controlled. As opposed to:

"Ok, today we'll finish up on eye-gouging and general maiming and tomorrow it's back to chainsaws..."
    Saburo Kitazono

Likes (received)

Charlie --

For pictures of all the Shinto ritual stuff, see
    http://www.tsubakishrine.com/test/ceremonies/about.asp

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
    Awhile back, Kim Taylor took me up on that one, and reported back that his CDN $1,500 cutter made consistently cleaner cuts on bamboo than did his CDN $11 Salvadoran machete. He added, however, that he still uses the $11 machete in the yard.
    Yeah, but was he drunk and underpaid? I don't think so.
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!

Likes (received)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there's tameshigiri and then there's 'cutting stuff.'
    Proper tameshigiri is kata. The mental discipline, focus and awareness should be identical. If these elements are absent from tameshigiri you are not performing proper budo but are instead allowing yourself to be seduced by the improper desires of ego gratificaion and self aggrandizement. As such, tameshigiri has been transformed from a practice of necessary education into a corrupted form of symbolic butchery.
    -- Takamura-sensei, Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin ryu
    Regards,

r e n

Likes (received)

Talking Sue-Mono-Giri?

Originally posted by renfield_kuroda
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there's tameshigiri and then there's 'cutting stuff.'

Regards,

r e n
    Sue-Mono-Giri desu ka?
    David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7