Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Shindo Yoshin ryu / Shinto Yoshin ryu jujutsu

MarkF Guest

I don't know if Toby will approve of this or not, but Doug Walker was his uke for most of the performance he put on at the seminar and I thought a damn good one considering I smashed my leg just walking into a dojo. (yes all sorts were there), but he just today, on telling him my slightly askew view of his magnificent performance, and the pleasure of meeting him, etc, etc, he emailed me this when I arrived home.

Thanks for the compliment but I don't deserve it. There is lots of work to do before I will feel worthy of the knowledge entrusted tome. It's a very daunting task. With good people like you around to keep me in line I"ll never slack off.

You take care and if I can ever be of any service to you please let me know.

Respectfully,

Toby Threadgill

I suppose Toby could have said anything to me or nothing at all, but he is just plainly a nice guy, Menkyo or no.

Just before I left I had to be instructed in how to hold a bokken, never mind what he does with one.

Congratulations!

Sincerely,
    Mark F. Feigenbaum
    "How long you do judo? That long? Well, that's a shame!" Jon Bluming

Mark F ... and all you guys are too nice,

And was Bluming a character or what. You talk about scraping all the BS and mythology off the raw truth. Boy oh boy... I've never seen anyone quite like him. The candy coating was removed from some longstanding martial myths. I'll never be able to look at one particularly famous karate photo again without laughing.

And Kit said: "....now if we could just get him out of those dresses....."

Heck the last time my (supposed) picture appeared on e-budo I was just wearing a jock strap. LOL

If Bluming wants to call a hakama a Laura Ashley dress..... I'm not going to argue with the man!

Toby Threadgill

Likes (received)

Talking A quick review...

Damn, I've been meaning to announce this here, but was waiting to upload a couple of photos of the event first. Too late, desho.

Well, I'll upload the photos soon and re-post them here when there are up.

APRIL 6-8, Dallas Texas:

Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu jujutsu; Menkyo Kaiden (full transmission) -

Toby Threadgill and the Bugei/Yanagi ryu guys were nice enough to invite me to the award ceremony, so I took them up on it and flew in for the traditional "ridiculing of the new menkyo". Good fun, by the way, and I think Toby would have exploded from stress and anxiety if we had taken it any further!

I didn't get to the house Friday night until 2:30am, and they were all pretty drunk by then and sprawled out in the dojo. Toby was talked into showing us some of the upper-level drunken style methods of SYR before we all passed out sometime after 4am (what time was it?).

The next day, Angier sensei taught a class for the local students, and some of his senior students performed a demonstration of Yanagi ryu, which included aikijujutsu, jutte, tessen, kenjutsu and jojutsu (I may have forgoten something - sorry).

That afternoon Mr. Pranin flew in, and that night the menkyo was awarded in Toby's dojo. Most attendee's were in kimono & hakama, and Angier Sensei and Mr. Pranin presided in front of the dojo's shinzen. First, Angier sensei read a letter from the late Takamura sensei (Toby's teacher) in which the details of the award request were laid out. Angier sensei and Takamura sensei had a friendly relationship, and Takamura sensei had written that he trusted Angier sensei's judgement in regards to when the right time should be to awared the menkyo.

Next, the scrolls were awarded to Toby (two makimono sealed in a kiri box), followed by Takamura sensei's sword, mounted in shirazaya.

A sake toast was offered in honor of Takamura sensei, and a Japanese name was announced which Takamura sensei had selected for Toby (yes, I forgot what is was now - doh).

The whole ceremony was concluded within roughly a half an hour, and the group quickly picked up a glass and began socializing.

Photos were taken, and then Toby was awarded the coveted "instructor's gi" (joke), consisting of a black gi covered in every cheesey martial arts patch you've ever seen! Quite a site, and a nice fit too, I might add.

Others in attendance for the ceremony included: Richard Elias, John Lovatto, Joe Neal, Bill Swann, John Lewis, Victor Block, Tony Alvarez, James Williams, Ken Good, Bryan Robbins, Tom Barry, J Gerry Chau and Makio Nishida (sorry if I missed your name here).

While the ceremony and socializing was great, I have to say that the video screening late Saturday night has to have been the most I've laughed in a long time. We watched a tape of some folks demonstrating various interpretations of American kenjutsu, and a tape by some housewife twirling a naginata as if she were still a cheerleader.

But that was nothing compared to the great Ron Duncan!! I may be the last person in the arts to have seen this stuff, but it does not get any better than that! How do you say:

"I did not know such technique was possible"

If you haven't seen Mr. Duncan's ninja tapes, do yourself a favor and obtain a copy ASAP. It is hard to place a monetary value on work such as this.

In any event, the weekend was good fun. Big congratulations to Toby-san. It's not every day that someone outside of Japan gets awarded a menkyo kaiden - especially in Texas!!

Toby - I'm really happy for you.

Regards,
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 19th April 2001 at 01:31.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

I'm afraid my pictures (from a throw away camera) did not come out very well, but here's what I have:

This one is Don Angier Sensei presenting Toby-san with Takamura Sensei's sword. Stanley Pranin is sitting to Angier Sensei's right.

Toby-san is striking a pose for a photograph, holding the sword in his left hand while one of his students displays the kiri box containing the makimono.

Sorry for the poor quality photos, but maybe it helps give a sense of the atmosphere a bit.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

Kit LeBlanc Guest

Default The gi...

Natan,

Got any pictures of the gi with patches? That is PRICELESS!!

Kit

Likes (received)

Hi Kit-san,

Yeah, I did have one but I jsut mailed it out to Toby. I'm sure he's got lots of good photos from the event. His photography assistant (hubba hubba) was using a nice camera to cover the event. Maybe we can talk Menkyo Kaiden into posting a few sometime!

Sorry to have missed you guys in Seattle. I've been gone practically every weekend this year, and I was really fryed (ask the lads who were in Texas). I'll really try to come if you bring him here again.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Okay guys,

I'll post the picture of the famous "instructors" Keikogi . There's so many bad patches on this thing that it defies description so here it is. Stan Pranin was especially amused by my uuuuh...roasting. J. Gerry Chau (Wado ryu) and Makio Nishida (Kyokushinkai) really laid the comedy on thick. As Nathan said, I was so nervous I almost blew a gasket.

(Nathan, did you notice the New York Koga ryu patch. I don't know how my students found all these patches. I know one was actually custom made-all in the name of comedy & humiliation. LOL)

Tobs

Likes (received)

Oh, I missed the Koga ryu one. I guess that means you can use some o' them "proprietary techniques" now!

(snarfl.)

BTW, I put up that nice painting that was passed on to you (after the ceremony) up on the wall of your dojo before I left. Artwork as unique as that needs to be seen - hope you don't mind!

(make that another snarfl.)

That was good times. Be sure to let us know next time you get promoted. I've got some artwork of some dogs playing cards that just has to be seen to be believed. It would look great in your dojo.

Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

MarkF Guest

Yep! That's the Laura Ashley dress all right.

I saw a Duncan video a couple years ago, and never could remember his name, but his tabi are priceless. The song "Magic Carpet Ride" must have been written for him.

Uhh,
    Maybe we can talk Menkyo Kaiden into posting a few sometime!
    We are still roasting Toby, right? I didn't know MK was a personal noun, of course unless that IS his name now.

What a guy!

Mark

Likes (received)

Default Congratulations and a question

I would like to add my (belated) congratulations to Toby Threadgill Sensei. It's not too often that one gets to congratulate a new Menkyo Kaiden! (Especially one whose name doesn't end in ka, to, ta or yama ^_^)

I was also curious where one might be able to obtain one of the very informative videos mentioned in earlier posts (Ron Duncan). It sounds like it would make a worthwhile addition to my martial art video collection, however my meager searching skills were unable to locate a purchasable copy.

Thank you and congratulations again!
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Likes (received)

Hello,

Mark-san, we're making an exception to the title-rule in Toby-san's case!

"MD" has a whole new meaning now: "Toby Threadgill, MD"

I haven't had any luck locating the Ron Duncan chronicles, but I'll post info here if I come across something. Maybe I'll ask our resident ninja community.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

MarkF Guest

Toby IS special. In fact, a friend of mine's father was nicknamed "special" but not for the same reason.

As to Ronald Duncan tapes, you must remember that he is referred to as o-sensei these days so don't get them confused (OK, OK, that would be impossible).

Also, if you can find a friend or a friend of a friend who has one of Duncan's videos, it won't be putting money in the O-Kitty of O-Duncan. But if you do, be sure said friend of a friend is not on Duncan's team, as it is mighty hard to hold back the snorts and then develop hot-coffee through the nose syndrome.

That said, I'd get one if I hadn't seen one all ready, so this is evidence of not caring if I do put a few chicken bones in O-Kitty's kitty. Amusing is a very conservative word in this case.

Mark

MarkF Guest

Ask the ninjas?? Be afraid, be very afraid.

Likes (received)

Ok guys. You asked...

Try www.espytv.com

They have many other "interesting" videos as well.
    Will Schutt

Likes (received)

Default Does he really call himself "O-sensei"?

Will-san, you is the man.

The actual link to Duncan-land is:

http://espytv.com/aiki.htm

The two videos I can vouch for as being particually hysterical are:

1701-0 TAPE 1 - COMBAT AIKI-JIUJITSU 1

0601-0 Koga-Ryu Ninjitsu

Now, some people will say "if you buy the tapes then you will be supporting his 'empire'". This is true, but you will have a clean copy, and to be honest, I think he's got it coming to him. You can't pay actors to be this funny (it's up there with "Caddyshack" in my book). The only part I'd feel bad about is if anyone took him seriously, or got injured trying to do any of this stuff - like the looney toons gun take aways on the ninja tape.

But come on. Nobody could possibly take this guy seriously.

People - you owe it to yourself (write back here if you get one!).

"Way of the Winds system"

Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast