Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First show?

Likes (received)

Default First show?

In the spirit of the very cool "Best Live Gig" thread, what's the first show you went to, and was it cool?

For me, it was The Who, Kids are Alright Tour 1988 at the Vet in Philly. Very good show, and definitely a "Philly experience." I sat in the last row, all the way up top, and vividly remember a really large guy threatening to jump over the railing for like the first 20 minutes of the show. Finally another guy yells, "Just jump already! I can't see with your fat a$$ in the way!" Guy sat down and didn't say a thing after that. Priceless.
    Pete Knox

bgigas Guest

Post shows

Aside from the shows that I was dragged to by my parents when I was very young, my first (adult) show was Rush. Amazing show, amazing band. Most bands are worse live than on stage, a lot of bands are about equal, and a select few are amazingly better on stage. Rush is certainly one of those bands. It's amazing to hear all the sound put out by only three guys. (Geddy Lee does Vocals, Bass, Keyboards, and pedals..., simply amazing.)

In response to the previous post, I saw The Who last summer with Robert Plant; another simply amazing show. No matter what is said about Pete Townshend, he is truly an amazing guitarist.

Likes (received)

Default Wow

Plant and the Who! I can't believe I missed that. Do you know if they're going to tour together again? Did Plant do any Zep stuff?

BTW bgigas -- did you see Rush during the Vapor Trails tour? Still amazing. I saw them at PNC. I see you're from Jersey too, so we may have some of the same stompin' grounds -- from where in our great garden state do you hail? I'm in Edison.
    Last edited by Pete Knox; 14th August 2003 at 00:50.
    Pete Knox

Likes (received)

The first show I remember is one I played in myself. Was it good? Doubt it. I was in sixth grade and in beginner band. The pieces we played were in out instruction book.

Jon
    Jonathan Wood

bgigas Guest

Default Re: Wow

Originally posted by Pete Knox
    Plant and the Who! I can't believe I missed that. Do you know if they're going to tour together again? Did Plant do any Zep stuff?
    Plant was the "opening act" for the Who, he didn't actually play with them. I saw them both at the PNC though, you should have made it . And yes, he did do some Zep stuff .

Originally posted by Pete Knox
    BTW bgigas -- did you see Rush during the Vapor Trails tour? Still amazing. I saw them at PNC. I see you're from Jersey too, so we may have some of the same stompin' grounds -- from where in our great garden state do you hail? I'm in Edison.
    I did see them at the PNC during that tour, so I assume we were there at the same time. Wasn't that show amazing? I also saw them later that year from a skybox at Madison Square Garden (for free). Now THAT, was sweet.

I live a few miles from the PNC, down on the Jersey Shore in Oceanport (exit 105).

Likes (received)

Yes. That was an amazing show. Geddy never ceases to amaze. I thought Alex's semi-coherent rambling was pretty cool too. Supposedly he did that every night, and it was different each time.

Good old exit 105 -- I used to live in Eatontown, right off of Hope Road (the apartments behind Redheads). My first daughter was born at Monmouth during the blizzard of '96.
    Pete Knox

bgigas Guest

Post NJ

Yep, I live just down rt 36 near monmouth park. If you're ever around, let me know and maybe we can grab lunch or a beer.

Take care,
    -Brant

Likes (received)

Arrow Sounds like a deal.

I'll definitely let you know if I ever get down there!
    Pete Knox