Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanaka Fumon

Likes (received)

Default Who Is Tanaka Fumon

hi there
    I posted this question already in the bujinkan question
    but somebody outside the takamatsu traditions might know more about that.
    in serge mol`s new book about classical japanese fighting arts i run across the name TANAKA FUMON
    he holds sokeship in Shinden Fudo Ryu, Koto Ryu, Kukishin Ryu and other arts. what do you know about him ???
    thanks for every hint
    Stefan Marcec
    Zurich, Switzerland

Likes (received)

Smile Fumon Sensei

Hello,
    This is'nt much help I know, but Sensei Fumon is connected to the 'Jitsu' federation in England I think,as a patron of their arts. wether this means that he provides tuition at their seminars I have no idea as I am not a member but try typing it into a search engine and see wether they can provide you with any details on the subject....
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Default Tanaka Fumon

Anyone have info on this teacher. He has some unique claims and lots of them. The guys that claim so many lineages do raise red flags as it takes a lifetime to master a tradition (in most cases). Is he a solid koryu teacher?
    Erin O'Neill

Likes (received)

To see a scanned version of his business card go to the following Yahoo Briefcase:

id: tanaka_fumon
    password: ireland

Judge for yourself.

Likes (received)

Default How do i view it?

Sorry, but how do I view this?
    Erin O'Neill

Likes (received)

Default FUMON TANAKA

Dear friends,
    Here is some of Fumon Tanaka Sensei`s lineage.

MINAKI DEN KUKISHIN RYU BOJUTSU

1.ORIEMON SHIGETOSHI TAKAGI
    2.UMANOSUKE SHIGESADA TAKAGI
    3.GENNOSHIN HIDESHIGE TAKAGI
    4.KIHEI SHIGENOBU OHKUNI
    5.YAKUROH NOBUTOSHI OHKUNI
    6.TARODAYU TADANOBU OHKUNI
    7.KIHEI YOSHISADA OHKUNI
    8.YOZAEMON YOSHIZANE OHKUNI
    9.JINNAI SADAHIDE NAKAYAMA
    10.BUZAEMON HIDENOBU OHKUNI
    11.KAEMON SADASHIGE NAKAYAMA
    12.KAMAHARU HIDETOSHI OHKUNI
    13.IKUGOROH HISAYOSHI YAGI
    14.TAKEO MASATSUGU ISHIYA (ISHITANI)
    15.MATSUTARO MASAHARU ISHIYA (ISHITANI)
    16.HACHIHEITA MASAYOSHI KAKUNO
    17.SABUROJI MASANORI MINAKI
    18.KYUDO MATSUDA (one day Soke)
    19.FUMON TANAKA

SOHDEN KUKAMI SHIN RYU

1.YAKUSHIMARU KURANDO
    2.SABURO BETSYO (TAKANORI KOJIMA)
    3.MINBU YOSHIKANE OHUCHI
    4.GOROMARU KATSUSHIGE OHUCHI
    5.SABUROBYOE MASAYOSHI HATAKEYAMA
    6.KAWACHINOKAMI YOSHIE OHKUNI
    7.KIHEI HISAYOSHI OHKUNI
    8.DAISUKE TADAAKI ARIMA
    9.KAWACHINOSUKE MASAYOSHI ARIMA
    10.UKON KURIYAMA
    11.SHINPACHIRO HOSOYA
    12.ITTOSAI NYOSUI KIMURA
    13.GETSUI YOSHISHIGE KIMURA
    14.SHIMA MASANOBU OHSUMI
    15.TOYOTAROH EBA
    16.MATSUTAROH TADAAKI ISHIYA (ISHITANI)
    17.NANGAKU TOMOHARU IWAMI
    18.KOHDOHSENYOKAI ORGANIZATION
    A. TAKAHARU KUKI
    B. KAHEI MATSUBARA
    C. IHEI MATSUMOTO
    19.FUMON TANAKA

As for his lineage for Koto ryu, Bokuden ryu etc... Maybe this has come from Kaminaga Shigemi Sensei?

hope this helps
    Brian Carpenter
    DOJO CHO
    GWNBF/KJJR UK KOMORI DOJO

Likes (received)

Default FUMON TANAKA

Here`s some info here:
    http://www4.justnet.ne.jp/~s.kenniti/Fkai/fkaiA.html

As for the Iga ryu Ninpo thing on his business card, he does`nt actually claim grandmastership of this school. Maybe he is a researcher of Ninpo rather than a Ninja grandmaster?

here is a list of Fumon Tanaka Sensei`s ranks

KOBUDO HACHI DAN
    KODEN ENSHIN RYU KUMIUCHI KENDEN 11th SOKE
    HONMON ENSHIN RYU IAI, SUEMONOGIRI, KENPO 4th SOKE
    KUKISHIN RYU 19th SOKE
    TENSHIN HYOHO SODEN KUKAMISHIN RYU 19th SOKE

HONTAI TAKAGI YOSHIN RYU SOKE DAIRI
    KOTO RYU SOKE DAIRI
    BOKUDEN RYU SOKE DAIRI
    SHINTO TENSHIN RYU (TENSHIN KORYU) SOKE DAIRI
    SHINDENFUDO RYU SOKE DAIRI
    ASAYAMA ICHIDEN RYU SOKE DAIRI

yours
    Brian Carpenter
    Dojo Cho

Likes (received)

Default Re: FUMON TANAKA

Originally posted by Moriki
    As for his lineage for Koto ryu, Bokuden ryu etc... Maybe this has come from Kaminaga Shigemi Sensei?
    Yes, it is from Kaminage Shigemi. I'm not sure if he is actually training in these, though.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Default FUMON TANAKA

originally posted by Yobina
    Most every Japanese I've mentioned Tanaka Fumon to has laughed out loud and exclaimed "Oh, a ninja eh?"
    According to most the Koryu people I have spoke to, Sensei Tanaka is a well respected Martial artist and considered by most Japanese as one of Japan`s most excellent swordsmen. Obviously there is some bad vibes among some of the Koryu teachers in Japan, but I think we can say that, of all the Soke in Japan regardless of which style they practice. I have heard many great masters being slagged off and at the end of the day it usually boils down to politics. As martial artists we should have better conduct and spend more time training rather than wasting time disrespecting.
    I have seen Soke Tanaka in action and I can say that he is an amazing Martial artist with much skill and knoweledge.

yours
    Brian Carpenter

Likes (received)

Thumbs up video

Check out Tanaka Sensei`s Koden Enshin Ryu video!

http://buyubooks.com/product_details.cfm?id=10524

yours
    Brian Carpenter
    Dojo Cho

Likes (received)

Wink More lines than facts here!

Hi Rick.
    Tanaka-S. claims a slightly different line from those claimed by either Hatsumi-S. or Tanemura Sensei, although the lines were the same up until Ishitani (Ishiya) Matsutaro Sensei, who taught Takamatsu Sensei among others including Kakuno Hachiheita Masayoshi-S. The line of Kukishin Ryu that Tanaka-S claims leads through Kakuno-S to Minaki Saburoji Masanori and then to Matsuda Kyodo who left it to Tanaka Fumon.
    The lines after/during Takamatsu Sensei's lifetime are very confusing but it can help to look closely at Japanese sources rather than rely on English ones...Good places to start are the Ueno Sensei Memorial booklet (and translation in English) that has both Tanemura Sensei and Tanaka Fumon mentioned in it and also possibly Serge Mol's recent Jujutsu book as it also lists Tanaka Fumon's line of Kukishin Ryu and you can see better where the splits occurred. You may be able to get the Ueno Sensei memorial still from www.buyubooks.com although they sold fast!
    As mentioned above the other schools have Tanaka-S listed as Soke Dairi and not as Soke and they all came through Kaminaga Shigemi, (Right? The info I have here is not entirely up to date on these schools...They end with Kaminaga-S) another of Ueno Takashi Sensei's students....
    Tanaka Fumon is also listed in the 'Nihon Kobudo Soran' as the head (Soke) of the Kukishin Ryu after Minaki Saburoji as of Heisei 9 anyway (Around 1998 I believe) and is listed under 'other Martial Arts' so at least at that time he was 'officially recognised by the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai who published the book....
    The maze is very long, and confusing also...Even in English.
    Hope that helps some?
    Regards.
    Last edited by fifthchamber; 20th January 2003 at 14:50.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

I few years ago, Tanaka Fumon was trying to get menkyo in Takagi-ryu. Part of the reason was because his Kukishin-ryu line had no Takagi-ryu in it, which can make things a little difficult in terms of respectability. The two go together and when one is missing, it can bring up questions. Its like you can't make a ham and cheese sandwich without cheese...

The last I heard about this, I was told that someone related to the Uneo line did give make him a "shihan" in the art, but no menkyo kaiden. Anyone have any additional info on that?
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Hello,

Just thought I would add a few small points to the discussion.

I, too, must reinforce that I have heard several other koryu soke and kaidensha comment that Tanaka sensei was one of the best swordsmen in Japan.

Also it isn't totally true that Tanaka sensei branch of kukishin ryu doesn't contain Takagi Ryu. It is from the Ishiya Takeo line and did originally contain the jujutsu curriculum. To be sure I have also seen an old video of Tanaka sensei doing the Takagi Ryu jujutsu with Minaki sensei. Although, the licensing he has for Kukishin ryu doesn't actually license him for Takagi Ryu Jujutsu to my knowledge.

I also seem to remember reading in his Koryu Kenjutsu book that he credits some of his training to Tanemura sensei for some of the arts. Can anyone check the book in the back and add to this? I have loaned my copy to a friend and don't have it handy. It is possible I am totally incorrect on this.

Whatever the case may be, I would think it to be very rude to talk badly about him being that he has also dedicated his life to martial arts. I am quite sure that some of his licensing was earned the old fashioned way.

Best,
    Todd Schweinhart
    Louisville Kentucky

Likes (received)

I also seem to remember reading in his Koryu Kenjutsu book that he credits some of his training to Tanemura sensei for some of the arts.
    This is true. They seem to still be on good terms from what I have been told. He did approach Tanemura Sensei about learning shuriken jutsu, but that didn't work out for some reason. Later, he wrote a book or a chapter on it, so he must have gone elsewhere. He also approached Tanemura Sensei about the Takagi-ryu certification. It was like you said, he had some basic knowledge of the ryuha, but no paperwork to back it up.
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Thanks for the reply John!

This is all very interesting. I was under the impression that Serge Mol received some type of Takagi Ryu jujutsu licensing from Tanaka sensei according to his book. I again could be wrong but it appeared that way. I have also seen pictures of some various Takagi Yoshin ryu densho that are in the possesion of Tanaka sensei so again I may be digging here. Can anyone spill the beans as to whether or not he has received formal licensing in Takagi Ryu or any of its branches?
    Thanks in advance!

Best,
    Todd Schweinhart
    Louisville Kentucky

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast