Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Art and Martial Arts

Likes (received)

Default Art and Martial Arts

For those of you who paint, dance, sing or do other arts, do you feel it improves your understanding of martial arts? If so, how?

I am thinking of taking up something (singing or painting) and would like to hear people's experiences.

Jeff Sherwin

Likes (received)

Default Re: Art and Martial Arts

Originally posted by budoboy
    For those of you who paint, dance, sing or do other arts, do you feel it improves your understanding of martial arts? If so, how?

I am thinking of taking up something (singing or painting) and would like to hear people's experiences.
    Evidently Tomiki thought ballroom dancing helped his aikido. Miyamoto Musashi thought his heiho helped his painting and sculpture. An Aiki Expo demonstrater links (sorry) aikido and golf.

Myself, aikido really helped my frisbee, rollerblading, skiing, and karate KUMITE because I didn't worry about falling. Sorry, regarding anything more sophisticated beyond that, I don't paint anything but walls or sing outside the bathtub. If I were, I think it would be a matter of my own imagination to draw the connections (Buckminster Fuller attributed his ability to see the big picture to the blurriness ensuing from pathological near-sightedness... Koko, the signing gorilla, once angered at her handler's refusal to give her a banana and called him a "dirty ¤¤¤¤".)
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Kimpatsu Guest

Default Re: Art and Martial Arts

Originally posted by budoboy
    My singing is an offensive weapon.

Likes (received)

For me it has mostly worked the other way around. My martial arts has helped other sports or arts I have tried. The way I see it, anything you enter fully with your heart is bound to affect anything else you do.

At the higher levels of martial arts, after the kata is learned, the techniques come out spontaneously with no conscious thought. When experimenting with new activities, even without learning the form, the less mental interruption the better, imho.

Best,

Jake McKee
    www.budovideos.com

mech Guest

What you discover is the fact that things like rythm, flow, creatitvity, following and breaken forms, mixing, blending, creating, etc. are incorporated in many activities peoples do and doesnt belong to none in particular.

To grasp the fundamentals of these principles is one sign of a real artist, then to be able to "apply" the principles to a form is for talented people, when meet these two moving freely between the principles, been able to create and to insert what learned to any form presented that is superior.

This language is universal the latter sounds like martial but goes beyond the martial, is just a matter of aquatance/adecuance/adaptation.

With all that tools we count on for to be artist of any kind, advancement never have been that easy as today is.

Mech
    Manuel Ch. A.

Likes (received)

Hello,
    I'll be late for work because of this so please excuse my spelling and grammer.
    I find that the two arts are symbiotic. I got back into the martial arts to correct my posture and to fix my "painting shoulder". It worked inside of a month. As a modern visual artist I have been taught that everything I do could be considered art if I so choose it. If my every movement is an art then it stands to reason that my more permanent visual art will only be made better.
    Out of time. More later.
    Daniel Garner
    Proud member of the
    Zombie Gun Club
    Denton branch

Likes (received)

Ahhh, lunch break.
    So, now I have the time to intentionally misspell grammar.
    Like I was saying, the two are symbiotic. They both enrich each other. My style of martial arts is intended to make my visual art better. I don't learn so that I can kill. I learn to kill and it automaticlly imparts itself on my work. If one were to look at work I did before and after I started training they would see a level (or eight) of thought and finish that was not there before. Likewise, the creation of a work involves a patience and fortitude that is not ordinarily taught anywhere beyond the dojo. An example. I learned to carve rock at a school. They taught me how to hold the chisels and hammers. They showed me where a rock is weak and how to hit it. They did not show me how to stand there and do that for hours on end. They did not show me how to exercise in order to erase or not get the pain involved. Incidentally, shoulder rolls work like a meat tenderizer for me. I do rolls on either side a few times---Then I stretch. One million dollars made out of baby skin is what I feel like after my workout . It doesn't bother me that I don't have a lineage because there is not really a lineage that applies to me. What does apply is that everytime I think I have a good idea, I find that I also need to see if the Japanese did it first. Usually they did and better. Have a good day.
    Daniel Garner
    Proud member of the
    Zombie Gun Club
    Denton branch

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by Daniel san
    So, now I have the time to intentionally misspell grammar.
    You can't misspell grammar; you can misuse grammar. You misspell words.
    The Orthography Commandos strike again!

Likes (received)

Unhappy

Hello,
    I think you (Kimpatsu) did not read my first post. I did in fact misspell grammar. "Grammer" is only a word in Texas. However, you are correct in that I abuse grammAR never grammER. She's never done anything to anyone.
    Daniel Garner
    Proud member of the
    Zombie Gun Club
    Denton branch

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by Daniel san
    "Grammer" is only a word in Texas. However, you are correct in that I abuse grammAR never grammER. She's never done anything to anyone.
    Oh, you mean GRAMMA.

Likes (received)

Dear Mr. Kimpatsu,
    Are you enjoying your time in Japan? Have you seen much artwork while you've been there that does not involve electricity? I only ask because an answer would make your posts on this thread relevant. Also, do you have Attention Deficit Disorder? My sister has it and your post style reminds me of conversations that she and I used to have.
    Daniel Garner
    Proud member of the
    Zombie Gun Club
    Denton branch

Kimpatsu Guest

What are you rabbitting on about, Daniel? Try getting a sense of humour, why don'tcha?

mech Guest

Tony, were you got from that fractal-like you use as avatar?

Mech
    Manuel Ch. A.

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by mech
    Tony, were you got from that fractal-like you use as avatar?
    No hablo nonsense.
    Que dice?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    No hablo nonsense.
    Mind you, not to put a bee in your trousers, but it has been scientifically proven that you do!

As for the art aspect of this post ........ is it not true that the Budo that we practice is art in itself? Yes, in some areas of other studies, such as dancing,painting ect. could enhance the art that we study as well as the other way around. At least in my opinion,that is.
    Mark Posselius

Yep, and the practice goes on!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast