Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Judoka=1; Bear=0

Likes (received)

Default Judoka=1; Bear=0

This just in...

http://www12.mainichi.co.jp/news/mdn.../bear-0-1.html

Judo throw saves man from bold bear

MATSUMOTO, Nagano -- A man used a judo throw to scare off a bear that attacked him while he was picking mushrooms on a Nagano Prefecture mountain Monday afternoon, police said Tuesday.

At around 3:50 p.m., Keiichi Yamaguchi, 63, a resident of Matsuda, Kanagawa Prefecture, was picking mushrooms on a mountain in Omachi, Nagano Prefecture, when an Asiatic black bear suddenly attacked him, police said.

The bear bit Yamaguchi on the hand and left thigh and he responded by hitting it on the nose and in the stomach. When he used a judo technique to hurl the bear, it ran away from the scene. The bear was about 170 centimeters long, police said.

Yamaguchi said his injuries are not serious, but he intends to receive medical treatment at a local hospital.

(Compiled from Mainichi and wire reports, Japan, Aug. 19, 2003)
    This almost sounds like the fake MPEG of the fisherman who gets into a tae kwon do match with a bear who tries to steal his fish (funny as hell)! This appears to be a legit news source though - cool if it is true! Wish they would have mentioned which throw he used.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

MarkF Guest

Hi, Nathan,
    I've seen that video you speak of. This was posted only a few days ago or so, though, but here is the link:

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=21022

One poster heard of a man who used tomoe nage to throw a bear over a cliff.

Judoka=2

Bears=0

Mark

Likes (received)

Mark,

For the love of Pete, clean out your PM inbox so I can reply to ya.

Tomoe nage is a bit of a risky throw, I would think, but I guess it is a better idea than a hip throw. Hate to get reversed - "Hey, clawing is illegal"!

Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Default A small sacrifice

Tomeo Nage is only risky if you start the throw too close to the cliff.

Cheers,

Mike

MarkF Guest

Nathan,
    I just sent you a PM, I wasn't home all night, then got some sleep (work related).

At the edge of a cliff, tomoe nage, if effective, is an attack-ending throw.

Mark

BTW: Just Email me, Nathan. It is not hidden, you know. m_feigenbaum@msn.com .