Likes Likes:  2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Ono-ha Itto-ryu

Likes (received)

Mr. Scott,
    I cannot speak for Mr. Certa. I have never met him, and I don't know his Japanese language level. Perhaps he misunderstood the unique counting system of Itto Ryu. Or perhaps Arisawa Sensei didn't feel it important and just showed Mr. Certa how to do the kata. In actual fact, Arisawa Sensei had such a hard Hokkaido accent that even many Japanese couldn't understand him. That is why, in the Hiden Mokuroku videos, Kato Sensei does all the speaking.

As far as the differences in kata -- they are nearly the same. I doubt an outsider watching a performance side-by-side could tell the difference. Yes, a few kata have been modified by Sokaku. However, it is the exception rather than the rule. (I will try to give you an example. Nevertheless, I have never studied mainline OIR, and my only experience with mainline OIR is the Monbusho video and the book Itto Ryu Gokui, so take this example for what it is worth.) The first kata that comes to mind is the kata called Norimi. Norimi is the 11th and 12th kata in the order of the syllabus. In mainline OIR, the defense against the final attack seems to be a suriage, whereas in Sokaku Den Itto Ryu we do a Sokaku version of an uke nagashi.

The changes may seem inappropriate to some, but I would like to point out that Takeda Sokaku was one of the last living samurai to fight to the death with a sword, and likely made his modifications based on his experiences in combat.

Sincerely,

Rodney Uhler

Likes (received)

I have been fortunate enough to attend a public and two private seminars with Uhler-Sensei and they were excellent. His sword work and Jujutsu is simply amazing. He tells a great story as well.
    Richard Stevens

Likes (received)

Mr. Uhler,

Thanks for expanding. Like I said, I'm guessing there are various levels of initiation, skill, and understanding in regards to Tokimune's sword curriculum. The differences makes evaluating the various lines of "Sokaku-den" difficult. It sounds like Okabayashi Sensei walked away with a pretty well rounded curriculum though.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

I've heard mention that ono ha itto ryu also contains ju-jutsu and Sasamori Sensei has demonstrated this at seminars. Has anyone experienced/seen this?

Likes (received)

Oisin,

I have been to one seminar with Sasamori Sensei. At that seminar he did not demonstrate any jujutsu that I saw, but did discuss the relationship of some of the kata to Daito Ryu and the potential jujutsu implications in some of the sword work.

I heard one of the seminar hosts say that Sasamori Sensei had showed him a little bit of jujutsu, but it was the jujutsu of one of the other assimilated arts that was passed down by Sasamori Junzo (father of the current Sasamori Sensei and instructor of several koryu arts other than Itto Ryu).

Hope that helps.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Thanks for that information, David.

Likes (received)

Hi folks,

Just wanted to make sure those interested are aware Sasamori Takemi Soke, the current headmaster of Ono-ha itto-ryu, is scheduled to visit Los Angeles California with (2) other senior instructors for an open seminar on Sept 19th and 20th, 2015. Please see the seminar announcement below if interested:

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...ept-19-20-2015

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

8. Likes Carl Long liked this post
    Likes (received)

For those interested in Itto-ryu or the teachings of Sasamori Takemi Soke, a new book has been translated and published in English called "Bushido & Christianity". This is the only book Sasamori Sensei has written containing insights and kuden from Itto-ryu.

The author is a very educated and deep thinker and I believe his writings will prove to be of great value to those of all walks of society. Unfortunately, this book only scratches the surface of what the author has to offer - I wish he had written more during his life.

For those who are not Christian (like myself), I would still recommend this book. Christianity is mostly discussed in its historical context, and in terms of how the lessons taught cross over and compliment the principles embraced of "Bushido". The text is easy to read and follow, with cultural aspects and terms translated and annotated by the translator (a long-time direct student of the author) as needed. As a translator of Japanese/English myself, I can say that this translation is excellent, which is something very rare to find in any translated text - especially those related to martial arts. My gratitude and respect to the translator - great job sir! Obviously, this text will be mandatory reading in both languages for exponents of Itto-ryu, which is one of the most effective, oldest and best preserved classical schools of swordsmanship in Japan.

In closing, not a huge book or hard to read, and well worth the time and small investment. This is one book for me at least that will stay in my permanent collection and be read more than once. Right now it is only available on Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/Bushido-Chris...anity+sasamori

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

10. Likes pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by socho View Post
    Thomas, this thread is seven years old. Not sure any of the original posters are still around, or that the info is still good. In any case, Shimabukuro sensei of the Jikishinkai studies and teaches Ono Ha Itto Ryu under Sasamori soke'. He has several dojo in California.

Dave
    Sadly, Shimabukuro Hanshi, died a couple years ago. I attended the seminar in which Sasamori Soke came to San Diego to teach Ono Ha Itto Ryu, and for some time after, we had authorization as a study group, and did continue. I can't really comment on whether there is any effective teaching of the ryu going on presently, either within MJER (of which Shimabukuro Hanshi was the head, for the Americas), or in any other California dojo.

The training was transformative. 5 years or so later, we STILL use what we learned, discuss it frequently, and apply principles not only with sword, but have found it's use within jujutsu as well.

I can find one notice that Sasamori Sensei was going to be again in Southern California, for a seminar in late 2015, but health and scheduling concerns got in the way.
    Richard Berman
    Hakkoryu Jujutsu & Koho Shiatsu Igaku
    Shihan #3362, Hakkoryu International
    www.hakkoryu.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by RealHakkoryu View Post
    I can find one notice that Sasamori Sensei was going to be again in Southern California, for a seminar in late 2015, but health and scheduling concerns got in the way.
    Ummm ... yeah ... two posts up in this same thread.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4