Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ono-ha Itto-ryu

Likes (received)

Default Ono-ha Itto-ryu

Hello all,

I have heard rumors that there are a few kendo dojos in the USA that might teach a substantial portion of the Ono-ha Itto-ryu curriculum. Maybe in California? Does anyone know of any dojo that does? I would appreciate any information or leads anyone could give me.

If anyone knows of any of the other five Itto-ryu branches here in the US (Nakanishi, Mizoguchi, Kogen, Muto, or Hokushin) I would also like to hear about them too.

If you'd rather not post this info online you can email me at Kendoguy9@aol.com

thank you for sharing
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Do a search for Classical Kendo Federation or Kotaka. Last I heard Kotaka-sensei's senior student Dave Diguangco was in Ogden, Utah. I think Kotaka-sensei himself is in Ohio somewhere?
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

chris davis 200 Guest

Okabayashi Sensei of Daito Ryu aikijujutsu Hakkuho Kai is a menkyo in Ono Ha itto Ryu and has some dojo's in the US. I believe that some of them teach it.

Try searching for Hakkuho Kai or Okabayashi sensei.

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    chris

Likes (received)

Thank you Neil and Chris,

Both are good starts.

peace,
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Talking Re: Ono-ha Itto-ryu

Originally posted by Kendoguy9
    Hello all,

I have heard rumors that there are a few kendo dojos in the USA that might teach a substantial portion of the Ono-ha Itto-ryu curriculum. Maybe in California? Does anyone know of any dojo that does? I would appreciate any information or leads anyone could give me.
    One of my kendo friends in Hawaii learned some Ono-Ha Itto-Ryu in Hawaii. I don't know at which dojo though.

Also, Henmi sensei of Norwalk Dojo in Southern Cal is the brother of the soke of Kogen-Ha Itto-Ryu if I remember correctly. I don't know if any portion of Kogen-Ha Itto-Ryu is being taught there though.

Lastly, if ANYONE knows of opprotunity to practice Mizoguchi-Ha Itto Ryu in the US, I want to know too!!!

David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

A. M. Jauregui Guest

Tomofumi Inagaki is a southern California Ono-ha Itto-ryu instructor in the Pasadena area. Sorry that most likely does not help one bit to most of you. Word to the wise. Tomo’s english is barely comprehensible, he does not cut back on the mysticism, and in general he is one strange kid.

Ana,

How may someone contact Inagaki Sensei? Does he have open enrollment?

Steven

S. Harrington Guest

Default Ono-ha Itto ryu - Pasadena

Please forward me info on Ono-ha Itto ryu in Pasadena.

P.S. There's a nice Kyudo dojo up there too.

Likes (received)

Ana,

Thank you for the tip. I think the "mystic" stuff is very important. The founders and past masters put it there for a reason. Check out this old post by Dr. Bodiford:

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...itto+ryu+kendo

Good stuff.

Thanks again
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu

chris davis 200 Guest

Default Okabayashi sensei in the UK!

Okabayashi Sensei will be holding a seminar on the 29th of November in the UK. Location is to be confirmed.

He will be teaching Sokaku Den Ono ha itto Ryu Ken Jutsu.

It will be an excellent opportunity for Kendo Ka to train with a real kenjutsu master.

PM me for details.

Cheers
    Chris

Likes (received)

Default Question

Does Okabayashi Sensei have a dojo in california? If he does can you give me a web address. if not can you give me at least his dojo address
    Last edited by thomasjcs; 9th February 2010 at 22:02. Reason: correcting begining

Likes (received)

Thomas, this thread is seven years old. Not sure any of the original posters are still around, or that the info is still good. In any case, Shimabukuro sensei of the Jikishinkai studies and teaches Ono Ha Itto Ryu under Sasamori soke'. He has several dojo in California.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

Likes (received)

Googling the name "Okabayashi" and "hakkuho kai" got me this website for a dojo under Okabayashi Sensei:

http://www.whiteoakdojo.com/index.htm

I'm sure that if you contacted them they could give you information on other dojo. Or you could follow Dave Drawdy's suggestion and look up Shimabukuro Sensei's organization, the Jikishin Kai.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Default Rod Uhler lis back in MI

He lived in Japan and trained with Okabayashi Sensei for quite a while. I've been to a seminar of his, He is excellent.
    don engle

Likes (received)

Okabayashi Shogen founded his own martial art, Hakuho-ryu, in 2002. Despite having some basis in koryu, it would be considered a modern system. Not bad, just new.

If interested in Ono-ha Itto-ryu, then it would really be best to train with someone who has the authority, and preferably an actual license to teach the system, directly from Sasamori soke.

Regards,

Ron Beaubien

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast