Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ono-ha Itto-ryu

Likes (received)

Default thankyou

Thanks and if anyone has any other resources I would really appricate it.

Likes (received)

http://www.onoha-ittoryu.de/
    This is a link to a german site of an official Ono-ha itto ryu keikokai.
    Maybe they have some information about the situation in the US.

hope it helps
    Martin Lasser

Likes (received)

Default Ono-Ha Itto-ryu

This is off the current discussion but still on Ono Ha Itto ryu.

I thought that this still was strictly a Kenjutsu system. However I came across this video (below). Does the style have a Iai/Batto jutsu component?

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...69DCCDA24D5248

Can anyone tell me what the initial system is?

Thank-you
    Jose Garrido
    Jose' delCristo Garrido
    Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Mainline Tradition
    NYC Metro Area Branch Dojo
    facebook.com/daitoryudojonj

Likes (received)

Ono Ha Itto Ryu does not, to the best of my knowledge, contain any iai in its curriculum. However, the previous headmaster, Sasamori Junzo, was also the headmaster of Shin Muso Hayshizaki Ryu. Shin Muso Hayshizaki Ryu is an iai system (maybe jujutsu as well? I can't recall). It is my understanding that his son and successor, Sasamori Takemi, continues the tradition of teaching Shin Muso Hayshizaki Ryu along with Ono Ha Itto Ryu.

The video clip that you've linked, however, is not for the Ono Ha Itto Ryu passed in the Sasamori family. Aidu (Aizu?) Ono Ha Itto Ryu is a separate tradition; I believe that the group that practices it also practices an offshoot of Daito Ryu. I have no idea whether the iai demonstrated is part of the Aidu Ono Ha Itto Ryu or something else that they also practice.

That's the little bit that I can remember; take it with a grain of salt, as I don't know a great deal about any of these traditions.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Hey Jose'

I hope you're well. Ono=ha Itto-ryu does have a set of five batto kata if memory serves me. They are demonstrated in Sasamori Junzo sensei's book Itto-ryu Gokui. I think they are a later addition to the ryu. I have a number of thoughts about the Aizu Itto-ryu but I don't really have much time to go into it here.

Best regards,
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Garrido View Post
    I thought that this still was strictly a Kenjutsu system. However I came across this video (below). Does the style have a Iai/Batto jutsu component?

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...69DCCDA24D5248

Can anyone tell me what the initial system is?
    The video shows 無限神刀流 (Mugen Shinto Ryu). I couldn't catch everything the announcer said, but the system is connected to Takeda Sokaku through one of his last students, Yamamoto Kakayoshi. Yamamoto apparent took bits from both Aizu Daito Ryu and Aizu Shinto Seibu Ryu (??) to construct the ryu.

Quote Originally Posted by DDATFUS View Post
    Aidu (Aizu?)
    Take your pick, they are equivalent. Aizu is a closer match for English speakers to the actual pronunciation but both romanization schemes have their merits.
    無雙直傳英信流・日本古武道居合研究会 - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu ・ Nihon Kobudo Iai Kenkyukai
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai

Likes (received)

Hi Chris, how are you doing?

Thank you all for the answers that you gave.

I'll locate the book and look through it.

Jose Garrido
    Jose' delCristo Garrido
    Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Mainline Tradition
    NYC Metro Area Branch Dojo
    facebook.com/daitoryudojonj

Likes (received)

Default Sokaku-den Ono-ha Itto-ryu in the USA

Rod Uhler is back in Michigan and is teaching, in South East Michigan, and doing seminars. He is teaching Sokaku-den Ono-ha Itto-ryu Kenjutsu as transmitted to Okabayashi Sensei by Takeda Tokimune.

Until he gets his website up and running it is probably best to contact him through http://hakuhoryu.whiteoakdojo.com/
    Last edited by bwhite33; 3rd March 2010 at 17:16. Reason: Trying to make english look like my first language.
    bryan white

Likes (received)

Default question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Beaubien View Post
    Okabayashi Shogen founded his own martial art, Hakuho-ryu, in 2002. Despite having some basis in koryu, it would be considered a modern system. Not bad, just new.

If interested in Ono-ha Itto-ryu, then it would really be best to train with someone who has the authority, and preferably an actual license to teach the system, directly from Sasamori soke.

Regards,

Ron Beaubien
    On a web site called bakersfieldbudo.com they have a class that teacher ono ha itto-ryu. I did see some pics of Sasamori soke, just in case there fakes do you know (or find out) if the sensei of that dojo was taught directly by Sasamori soke? please and thank you, I really appreciate it.

Likes (received)

Judging from their links, that dojo is affiliated with Shimabukuro Sensei's Jikishin Kai organization. The Jikishin Kai hosted a seminar with Sasamori Sensei a couple of years back, and it seems that Shimabukuro and some of his top students study under Sasamori. You'd have to talk with a Jikishin Kai representative for more information.

On a side note, I've been to a few martial arts seminars in my life. None compared to the Jikishin Kai's for sheer efficiency. I don't know much else about them, but they could give seminars on organizing seminars.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomasjcs View Post
    On a web site called bakersfieldbudo.com they have a class that teacher ono ha itto-ryu. I did see some pics of Sasamori soke, just in case there fakes do you know (or find out) if the sensei of that dojo was taught directly by Sasamori soke? please and thank you, I really appreciate it.
    If you really want to learn Ono-ha Itto-ryu, then you should either study directly under Sasamori Takemi himself or someone that has studied directly under him IN Japan (not through seminars) for a number of years that is also qualified to teach. Learning Kenjutsu from seminars once or twice a year will not make you understand the true fundamentals of the ryu in which you are studying. It's hard enough drilling all the crucial points of the style into your brain and body, let alone trying to teach it after, and this is EVEN if you ARE directly studying under THE man himself.
    Tom Karazozis
    °®«ΛιΘ -Kanshiketsu!

Likes (received)

...Sasamori Junzo, was also the headmaster of Shin Muso Hayshizaki Ryu. Shin Muso Hayshizaki Ryu is an iai system...

...Sasamori Takemi, continues the tradition of teaching Shin Muso Hayshizaki Ryu along with Ono Ha Itto Ryu.
    Minor correction, in case anyone is trying to Google this: it's Shin Muso Hayashizaki Ryu.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Judging from their links, that dojo is affiliated with Shimabukuro Sensei's Jikishin Kai organization. The Jikishin Kai hosted a seminar with Sasamori Sensei a couple of years back, and it seems that Shimabukuro and some of his top students study under Sasamori. You'd have to talk with a Jikishin Kai representative for more information.

On a side note, I've been to a few martial arts seminars in my life. None compared to the Jikishin Kai's for sheer efficiency. I don't know much else about them, but they could give seminars on organizing seminars.
    You are right. You can also contact Sensei Carl Long through this site or at his dojo's site at www.sakurabudokan.com for more information. Sensei posts upcoming seminars here at e-budo.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karazozis View Post
    If you really want to learn Ono-ha Itto-ryu, then you should either study directly under Sasamori Takemi himself or someone that has studied directly under him IN Japan (not through seminars) for a number of years that is also qualified to teach. Learning Kenjutsu from seminars once or twice a year will not make you understand the true fundamentals of the ryu in which you are studying. It's hard enough drilling all the crucial points of the style into your brain and body, let alone trying to teach it after, and this is EVEN if you ARE directly studying under THE man himself.
    I ground through the process of realizing this myself, the hard way. I trained Ono ha Itto Ryu for a combined total of like 15 hours of seminar classes, thought it was really awesome, tried to practice the kata with someone else who had been at the seminars, and pretty quickly we found ourselves not knowing what we were doing or why.

If you read about school X and you really want to train in it, you have to move to Japan. Otherwise its a matter of luck whether you live near one of the handful of non-Japanese who trained in a koryu long enough to be able to teach you, and if you do, it is not going to be the one you think you want to train in, most likely.

Anyway, as of two years ago when I last checked, the official party line is that there are no authorized instructors in Ono ha Itto Ryu outside of Japan, except for one in that little tiny country near Italy whose name I forget.

Likes (received)

Ono Ha Itto Ryu does not, to the best of my knowledge, contain any iai in its curriculum. However, the previous headmaster, Sasamori Junzo, was also the headmaster of Shin Muso Hayshizaki Ryu. Shin Muso Hayshizaki Ryu is an iai system (maybe jujutsu as well? I can't recall).
    In Yokose Tomoyuki's "Nihon no Kobudo," there's a compendium provided of Ono-ha Itto Ryu kata that are practiced at the Reirakudo, with two separate groups of batto kata listed. The first, under the heading 詰座抜刀 (tsumezabatto), contains 17 kata, and as the 座 might imply, all seem to start from a seated position.
    The next group, titled 立合抜刀 (tachiaibatto) is a set of 5 kata - probably the ones Mr. Covington was referring to - that start in a standing position.
    The article mentions that Shinmuso Hayashizaki Ryu is also practiced at the Reirakudo, but seems to delineate between that practice and the Itto Ryu corpus listed. That could mean that OHIR has its own batto techniques, but as I'm reading it, the article doesn't mention *where* the two sets come from . I know this is all academic for anyone outside of the ryu, but I find it interesting, and would love to hear from anyone who knows for sure.

Regards,
    Murray McPherson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast