Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Martial Arts infidelity

Likes (received)

Default To Tony: Naa, na, na, na, na...

No, you.
    Last edited by Soulend; 12th September 2003 at 02:07.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

But enough of the One-Man Thread Drift, how about a topic where Tony can't take over and make it his own. Perhaps we can talk about something Japanese that Tony isn't an expert on.... nope, not likely to find that
    'Koryu: How I based my authoritative conclusions upon zero knowledge whatsoever'

Alternate title: "Who are Donn Draeger, Karl Friday, and Ellis Amdur? Forget about them and that Otake Risuke guy! Let me enlighten you about pre-Meiji bugei!"
    David F. Craik

Mekugi Guest

Default Hey Tony!

I think you would really enjoy this book Tony:

Keiko Shokan

It has a lot of topics that are up your alley, and some very fine Western writings on subjects I think you would find interesting.

(Five Stars)

-R

Likes (received)

Tony

You stated in an earlier post

"People oppose what I write not becasue it's wrong, but becasue it's ME who's saying it. People ignore the content, and attack the man. All style, no substance.
    Where's the rationality in that?"

Where did I (that is me personally attack you, All I was asking was a simple set of questions to elicite a debate.

That said, it is good that you have such a strong feeling about your life within Budo, it is to be commended. What I was asking was how do you personally get around(probably wrong wording here) ideals that appear so against your own beliefs.

One example Seiho.

Not an attack, just a question. But by branding anyone that opposes you purely based on who you are is not always correct. There is no rational in that either.
    Dave Pawson
    Shidoshi
    Bujinkan Kokoro Dojo

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    No, they have a right to an informed opinion. And how can they possibly know more about Shorinji Kempo that you or I?
    Forthe same reason, I never venture into the Aikido or karate forums
    Umm, have a look where this thread is located? This thread isn't about Shrinji Kempo, it's about martial arts generally. I'm perfectly willing to accept everything you say as applicable to Shorinji Kempo - what I take issue with is the notion that yours is the one true way.

The operative word here, David, is "outstanding". Geniuses like Fanakoshi, Kaiso, Ueshiba, et. al. can cross-train without fear of confusion; mediocre plebs like you and I can't.
    I can and do cross-train without confusion - in fact, since I started cross-training, my ability in my core art has improved tremendously. I guess I'm not a "mediocre pleb". I suspect David isn't either. Tony, if you had just left out the words "like you", nobody would be arguing.

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    People oppose what I write not becasue it's wrong, but becasue it's ME who's saying it.
    Nope, sometimes you are just wrong. I have never attacked you about atheism, because - as annoying as your debating style is - you are broadly right. Here, by presuming to force your own value judgements and blinkered world view on the rest of us mediocre plebs, you are just wrong.

Cheers,

Mike

Likes (received)

Cross training is like riding a bike.

If you've only got one pedal you can only push once until you have to ease off and let it rise.

If you have got 2 pedals you can push each one individually, not pushing the pedals at the same time, if you push each one individually then you get along the road more efficiantly.

That sounded better last night

Cheers
    Rev. Matt Boxall AKA Dr. Stupid

*Puts on wizard hat and robe*

Default I want to ride my bicycle.

Cross-training is like training for road-racing and mountain-biking simultaneously. While you may need to focus just on one if you want to be the next Lance Armstrong, doing both will certainly make you better equipped for cutting through the filfy streets of London.

Cheers,

Mike

Likes (received)

I think yours makes more sense

Likes (received)

Cross training is bad attitude.

I always prefer happy training.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA

Lol! I hate you Billy Bully punch bag!

Cheers

Mekugi Guest

Good one!

I hafta steal that....I love dry humor.

BTW, I feel that Tony is entitled to his opinion just as everyone else, and I don't take offense at the way he speaks; primarily because I have met him and undestand his tone. That makes all the difference, methinks.

-Russ

Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA

Likes (received)

As far as Morihei are concered, he never bothered. I read this akikidoka who decided to practice from Taiwanese taichichuan master. Quite few senior students made fuss about it in the same line as Tony so the guy just went to Ueshiba Morihei and asked. The answer was "Do whatever you want."

As of only masters can do cross training, this is plainly not the case, Literaly 10 of thousands of police men and women in Japan cross train in Judo, Aikido and Kendo because they *need* to do so. If you want to be a better fighter, there is no question as to the benefit of cross training.

Tony, as of you emphasising DO in BU-DO, you seems to implies that Shorinji Kenshi are less of a fighter than people who cross train. Plus, if ultimate purpose of budo is to improve oneself, what's wrong with cross training and becoming a better budoka?
    -Youji Hajime.

Engrish does not mine strong point

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13