Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Kicks for Cash" or ... something more

Likes (received)

Default "Kicks for Cash" or ... something more

This following quotation comes from the thread about "Dojo dating", but it really deserves its own thread. What type of training do you do? Just what motivates your instructor?

Originally posted by glad2bhere
    It has become part of the culture that one is simply purchasing instruction in a skill rather than developing a relationship with someone. Sometimes I think that most people who come to me seeking instruction would actually RATHER that I accept money in lieu of developing a relationship. At least that way, when the novelty inevitably wears off and they are faced with making actual changes in the nature of the person that they are, it would be easier to break things off simply by no longer coming to class (physical separation) and no longer paying (ending responsibility). It is a very hard thing for such folks to understand that a true teacher/student relationship does not end when one is simply no longer physically present. It is also very hard for most people to understand that money cannot and will not address the responsibilities and obligation one owes to a teacher.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Talking Motivation

Dear Dave

Gassho

This is a very worthy thread and one which I intend to address at length just as soon as I retire from work and take up this e-budo thing full time, (it's the only way I can see to keep up with the plethora of threads generated by dojo dating!)
    On a more serious notes I witness incompetence, political interference and the darker side of human nature almost every day of my working life.
    Teaching, and training, at Shorinji Kempo makes me feel better about myself and the world.

Kesshu

Ade

PS My parents live in York and I go to see them regularly, next time I'm up do you want to get together for a beer so we can tell lies about the women we've slept with and how good we used to be?
    A man with small testes should never get involved in a fight requiring cojones

Likes (received)

I'll get back to you, Ade Sensei, ... right after I pluck up enough courage to go and ask permission from the best woman I ever slept with (who always reminds me how good I used to be).
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

Actually a straight business transaction is fine. These people will change after awhile or they will leave. Either way, their donations will help pay the rent so the dedicated can train. I find in our group that the students get pretty tight after a while and we hold BBQ s and have Christmas dinners at restaurants etc to encourage the family feeling. Some folks have more money thn brains and as long as you teach them to the best of your ability, its no crime to seperate them from it.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........