Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seiho and medical advice

Likes (received)

Default Seiho and medical advice

Stemming from the thread about the worth of having seiho in gradings, I have a few comments, but thought I wouldn't pollute the current thread with them.

When I learn juho or goho I implicitly trust the sensei with the technique. However when I learn seiho, especially at seminars when it tends to be a little 'different' to the more massage type seiho I am used to, I sometimes wish I had a doctors opinion on it.

Take for example this summer camp. We were doing an exercise that essentially involved clicking someones neck. I simply decided not to do it and would not think twice about acting in the same way. The sensei said you get a feel for it with time, but I am not prepared to risk my partners life (and yes, the neck is that sensitive) with such things.

So to my question. I am told that senior kenshi have studied anatomy and such like, but have hombu ever actively sought out a (preferably more than one) medical viewpoint on some of the more advanced seiho?

Given my stance on this, are my thoughts to trusting juho and goho techniques rational?
    Jon Cruickshank

Likes (received)

Respect to you Jon. I imagine it took some time to choose the wording.

I share your concerns about the potential for harm. This could be the main reason why it is taught only to the more experienced Kenshi (or at Summer Camp, where people can be monitored and assisted more readily).

We know what we are told. We decide whether to trust or believe based on our experience. Where we have a little knowledge, we trust those who we believe to be more experienced. When we begin to doubt... is when things start to get (more) dangerous.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

This is an issue that I have given much consideration to. Some years ago I was present in training when one of the kenshi dislocated his shoulder, the previous week Sensei Russ had been demonstrating in his lesson how to deal with this very problem. When it came to it none of us felt confident enough to carry out the procedure and called an ambulance. As a trained nurse I felt very dubious about using this technique, particularly knowing how complex a joint the shoulder is. However seeing how much agony this guy was in and how badly the ambulance men manhandled him I wish, in hindsight I'd had more courage.
    The problem for me is that some of the seiho techniques we are taught are very much contrary to what I have learned through training and years of practice as a nurse. But at the end of the day if Sensei Russ had been present I'm sure he wouldn't have hesitated to sort this guy out.
    Shorinji Kempo may teach things that are contrary to medical opinion but that is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Maybe in the Western world we are to reliant on conventional medicine and the power of the almighty doctor.

Regards Tracey
    Tracey Fuller
    Bournemouth, Shorinji Kempo

Likes (received)

Originally posted by tracey fuller
    [B]Maybe in the Western world we are to reliant on conventional medicine and the power of the almighty doctor./B]
    Quite right too IMO Tracey. Conventional=scientific=rational=yes please. Athough a dislocated shoulder can be treated with seiho I think

And another of the blonde one's favourite subjects.
    David Dunn
    Cambridge Dojo
    BSKF