Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Difference between ne waza and katame waza

Likes (received)

Default Difference between ne waza and katame waza

What is the difference between ne waza and katame waza? And I'm not talking about how they are used in only in judo ... I'm more interested in their literal translations. It seems like they are both translated as "groundfighting techniques". Are they synonymous, or do they have slightly different meanings? If one studied a non-judo (yet Japanese) martial art and had a set of techniques used when on the ground, would they be called ne waza, katame waza, or something else entirely?

jd
    Jonathan Dirrenberger
    Stanford Jujitsu Club

MarkF Guest

In Kodokan Judo, there are three basic classes of waza. Nage-waza, katame-waza, and atemi-waza. While some use katame and newaza interchangably, it is misleading. Ne-waza refers to all waza done in "ground work" while katame-waza include jointlocks and strangles done from the standing postition as well as ground technique.

My favorite shime-waza (or one of them) is tsukkomi jime, or thrust choke. It can be done standing or on the mat or a combination of the two, starting with the standing version. It is a one arm choke which can be applied either standing or on the mat, or a combination of the two.

Here is what the Kodokan says regarding the difference:

"Katame-waza comprises osai-komi-waza (hold-down techniques)[sic], shime-waza (strangling techniques)[sic] and kansetsu-waza (joint techniques)[sic]. The term ne-waza (mat work] is sometimes used in place of katame-waza, but it is misleading in that not all katame-waza are executed while lying [sic] on the mat. Some stangleholds and joint locks, for example, can be applied from a standing position. As can be seen from the terminology, in grappling the opponent is held, his joints are locked or his limbs bent or twisted, or he can be strangled."

They left "nage-waza" out of the definition of "grappling" but they were making a point so I won't sue.

I hope that helps to understand the difference.

Mark

Bull_in_chinash Guest

ex. of katemewaza that is not newaza = standing choke or armlock.

katemewaza = pinning, choking, joint locks

newaza = matwork. (and the techniques that happen there)

Likes (received)

Default Re: Difference between ne waza and katame waza

Originally posted by jodirren
    What is the difference between ne waza and katame waza? And I'm not talking about how they are used in only in judo ... I'm more interested in their literal translations.
    Ne(ru) refers to sleeping or to lying down (hirune - daytime sleep - a nap), while katame(ru) means to harden or fasten (kotai, using a different reading of the kanji, refers to hard body, or a solid object).

Groundwork, on the other hand, can also refer to suwari-waza - those techniques performed while kneeling or starting in seiza. For example, in katame-no-kata only uke is technically in ne-waza position; tori works from his knees.
    Peter Claussen