Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Buy American

chrisknutson Guest

Default Buy American

I was wondering what ever happened to the BUY AMERICAN campaigns of my youth? Does anybody know why americans are not told to buy american anymore? Nafta? WTO? I think that big business might have something to do with it, but I'm wondering if anybody knows any more than I do about it.

chrisknutson Guest

Yeah, I've heard that too, mostly regarding cheese as I'm from wisconsin. I've been wondering what ever happened to that though. You used to know what products in a store were american, now you really have to hunt for the made in america tags. It's pretty hard to buy clothes that weren't made by a three year old these days.

Likes (received)

Maybe it went the way of generic products. Nothing said "Class" like a twelve-pack of white cans marked simply "BEER" in black stencilled letters.
    David F. Craik

Mekugi Guest

At one time it was State law for restaurants to serve cheese with every meal ordered!

Spoooky!!!!!!!!!

-R
    Originally posted by chrisknutson
    Yeah, I've heard that too, mostly regarding cheese as I'm from wisconsin. I've been wondering what ever happened to that though. You used to know what products in a store were american, now you really have to hunt for the made in america tags. It's pretty hard to buy clothes that weren't made by a three year old these days.

Mekugi Guest

I am!!

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    Like Gap, whose products are made in South Asian sweatshops?
    The bottom line is that it's far cheaper to exploit third world countries than pay a living wage to American workers, which is why multinationals all site their factories in the third world, and you can find nothing that's "made in America".

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    Yeah, Apple products are cool. Trouble is, the industry standard in translation is a program called Trados that's only available for PCs. I was thinking of buying an Apple for video editing, though. Any Mac users with advice on that score, please?
    I'm not an expert on Apples (nor even on computers, for that matter) by I have a former brother-in-law who is a big Apple fan, and he runs a lot of "PC only" software on his Mac with a "Windows Emulator" (?). Don't know if that would work for Trados, but it might be worth a look.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
    I'm not an expert on Apples (nor even on computers, for that matter) by I have a former brother-in-law who is a big Apple fan, and he runs a lot of "PC only" software on his Mac with a "Windows Emulator" (?). Don't know if that would work for Trados, but it might be worth a look.
    Thank you, Brian. I knew Power Macs could read Windows files, but a "Windows Emulator"? First I've heard of it; must be worth a look.
    BTW, have you ever been to Yagyu village, in Mie Prefecture? That, too, is worth a look.

Kimpatsu Guest

Their lives shouldn't have to suck at all, Eli. And, if the World bank is true to form, they looked only at current levels of material wealth, not for example at the attempts to unionize for better conditions, which are then brutally suppressed by western companies.
    Did you visit www.nologo.org?