Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Realities of self-defense

Likes (received)

Default Realities of self-defense

Our local agency just cleared this case. The short of it was a violent entry to a man's home, who shot the intruder 3 times with a .357, then proceeded to engage in a hand-to-hand struggle over a shotgun. The intruder ultimately died from blood loss as a result of one of the shots severing his femerol artery. The coroner also found that the intruder's femur was shattered from the shot, yet he continued the assault for an estimated 3 minutes.

This event certainly gave me pause as I considered how ineffective my training likely would be against an assault like this. At least my Glock carries 10 rounds of .45.

Read more here:

http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html...sp7=local_news

Food for thought.
    Kevin Schaller

Likes (received)

Interesting. I too have a 357 mag, and a glock 32(357 sig). But for home defense these are only back up weapons. The shotguns are the work horses, because of stopping power, intimidation power(pump action), and the fact that I don't want to kill any friendlies by shooting through walls. I keep all of them loaded with bird shot! They also lend more confidence when the adrenaline is pumping. I would rather have the longer shotgun with the spread effect, than the shorter handgun that has to be dead on when I'm waking up out of a dead sleep early in the morning.
    Chris Neville

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

-Sun Tzu

Mekugi Guest

Very interesting Kev, thanks for posting and sharing that.
    Eye opener for sure.

-R

Likes (received)

Jeez, that's just freaking scary. Makes me want to go out and buy bigger guns. For me, and my neighbors.

-Charles
    ----------
    Charles Lockhart
    FBI: From da' Big Island

Likes (received)

Makes me want to buy bigger guns for me and smaller guns for my neighbors.

Stanley Neptune