Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fitness War - Gym vs Dojo

Likes (received)

Default Fitness War - Gym vs Dojo

If you have to pick one only, which one would it be and why ?

I do know many of you are dojo owners so therefore will have a biased answer. But let just pretend that you can only pick one.

The reason for the post is that after reading an article about how a majority of people sign up for Gym's membership for a year ( and many more coming) People would tend to show up maybe 1-2 months out of the entire year. Personaly, what a waste of money.

Yet we see enrollment coming in daily in Gyms. Personaly, I picked dojo because I get more out of it than in Gym. There is nothing satisfying by being in the Gym where no would would bother you if you are your working out correctly or not (Read: Ingnored). The only thing good about the Gym are the babes
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

I enjoy both, but given the choice would pick the dojo. You don't need equipment to stay in good shape.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Good Point Soulend ! I am sure that no one has ever claimed of feeling confident walking down the street alone after years of training with Bowflex I hope not !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Smile Never discount size and strength

I dunno, Prince, being muscular and in shape can give one a definite feeling of confidence, and dissuade many from messing around with you in the first place. While skill and mindset are for the most part invisible to the average guy on the street, size most assuredly insn't.

Just like any other animal, humans tend to avoid confrontation with the biggest and strongest of the species. Not that I'd know anything about that personally, of course
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

dojo definatly. I always hated gyms.
    Grandmaster, Soke, Dr. Julian Gerhart Phd

10th dan Fakuyu ryu Jujutsu
    8th dan Babikyu ryu Ninjutsu
    7th dan Meriwana ryu Aikido
    4rd dan Chipu baduka ryu Iaido

Likes (received)

Talking Gym-Dojo

I would have to say dojo also. I used to go to the gym.. I hated because if I didn't help it would cost me. No one would help just to make sure I did it right...
    And if there was a machine I wanted to use, a big guy would be on it and sit and talk to so little gym groupie, and not use... So in other words he was just using it to pick up a girl not to work out
    Train hard and you shall get what you trained for...

Aaron Young
    Shotokan

Likes (received)

If your only goal is fitness, the gym wins every time. I suspect most of us are looking for more than just fitness.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

I don't go to the gym. I used to go to the gym at my school for weights and playing basketball.
    I just train and go jogging.

Chiburi Guest

Gym, most likely. I know what to do, why I do it, and how to do it -- something I rarely see at the dojo The two compliment each other, although if the options include being fit but not so proficient in MAs, I'd most likely choose that one.

Cheers,

Likes (received)

How to decide......

They both give such different results, but both require committment and hard work to achieve those results.

If I were looking for fitness then the gym wins every time......

But Martial arts do not offer "just fitness".

Both can give you confidence and that "respect" factor........ Bruce Lee and Arnold Schwartzenegger both get respect/have[had]confidence.

I get more cameraderie from the people in the dojo, only really talk to a small number of people in the gym.......

In an ideal world I would take the gym..... in our non-ideal world (and living in London...) I take the dojo
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

Dojo

The gym is easier to replace. Pullups/Pushups/Situps/Running etc can be done almost anywhere.
    M. Rowsey

Likes (received)

I bought a weight long time ago. I hardly used it and then I started to do judo and I felt I don't need it anymore so i sold it to my friend. My friend used it flequently and he now lift a barbell I can't lift it myself. Funny thing is that I can still beat him in arm wrestling easy.

Yes, if you do "holistic" excerise such as judo as main thing, supplementing that with weight training would help. On the other hand, making weight lifting as your main exercise is moronic in term of "practical" strength in my view.
    -Youji Hajime.

Engrish does not mine strong point

Likes (received)

Thread necromancy! 13 years.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

You see, if he was actually practicing any martial arts, then he'd have increased his brain power enough to know better than to respond to old posts like this one! Then again, judging by your math challenged post Andrew, maybe not!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

The moral of the story is: never make a quick reply on your phone while walking in the dark.
    While lamanting that I won't be able to make it to the dojo for another week.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast