Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is two years enough?

Ben Shechet Guest

Default Is two years enough?

Hello all-
    I'm considering training at an aikikai club in my home town in the near future. Thing is, I've got two years before I graduate from high school, and I'm a bit resistant towards starting something with so little time to progress, especially given the amount of time necessary to become a proficient aikidoka. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not I should begin now and take what I can get, or hold off for a while?

Likes (received)

One thing to consider is that most colleges have aikido clubs. So training two years before college would give you a good head start. Also most colleges will acept you participation in an aikido club for your P.E requirments.
    Tim Mailloux

Likes (received)

I'm a senior now and I started late freshman year. I don't know what college I'm going to but I understand that most major cities have Aikido clubs even if your university does not. I would recomend starting as soon as possible.
    Grandmaster, Soke, Dr. Julian Gerhart Phd

10th dan Fakuyu ryu Jujutsu
    8th dan Babikyu ryu Ninjutsu
    7th dan Meriwana ryu Aikido
    4rd dan Chipu baduka ryu Iaido

Likes (received)

for many folks, myself included, aikido becomes a lifelong thing. even when i took a break for a couple of years, i knew i'ld go back eventually.

starting now in one place will only add to your experience even if you move away. and if you ever go back home to visit, you'll have a place to continue training while home.

i don't see any advantage to waiting. if you're interested now, start training now. if you move, find another dojo. it's good to check out different places and styles. if you wait another couple of years, you may find other 'distractions' and continue to put off trying it out.
    eric acuna

Likes (received)

Default Re: Is two years enough?

Things change. New school, new job, new, new new.

If you are or will be like most of us you'll spend a lot of time dabbling here and there untill one day you are in one place long enough and are interested enough to go somewhere with a certain MA.

Anything you do wont be a waste of time. Even if you switch arts its not a total loss. You interested in Aikido now - then train Aikido. You just might find its not for you or get enough experience that you can choose the next Aikido dojo properly.

Originally posted by Ben Shechet
    Hello all-
    I'm considering training at an aikikai club in my home town in the near future. Thing is, I've got two years before I graduate from high school, and I'm a bit resistant towards starting something with so little time to progress, especially given the amount of time necessary to become a proficient aikidoka. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not I should begin now and take what I can get, or hold off for a while?

Likes (received)

Don't wait! Start now and you won't regret losing that valuable two year period of training.

I wished I'd found aikido earlier. In my two years of training I have been recommended for shodan and been asked to take up kendo too. Doesn't really matter that you are leaving one dojo after two years. If you know what you are looking for in terms of training, understanding and methodology; then practising with as many people of different body types and understanding would benefit your aikido career.

Good luck!

Dojo Chief Crash Test Dummy

bruceb Guest

Default Re: Is two years enough?

Originally posted by Ben Shechet
    Hello all-
    Are you out of your mind?

Try it ... have fun ...

There are Aikido clubs all over the world!

Just imagine going to other countrys and finding friends everywhere you go?

Mr. Rehse is right about things changing, they will, you will. Enjoy the changes and take the experiences as they come, they will be the greatest time of your life.

Fact is, it doesn't mattter if you dabble in one or twenty different martial arts, eventually you will pick what fits you. How you gonna do that if you don't try?

Likes (received)

I wish to join the above suggestions:

If you like Aikido now, go and try it. Who can say, in two years you may decide you would like to do something else. So why wait ?

Amir
    Amir Krause

TeknoMatrix Guest

I started my training in aikido my senior year of highschool and i'm in college now (out of state) still training and the transition was just fine so I'd suggest starting now

Likes (received)

Originally posted by TeknoMatrix
    I started my training in aikido my senior year of highschool and i'm in college now (out of state) still training and the transition was just fine so I'd suggest starting now
    Hello,

Welcome to E-budo.

I am the moderator of the Aikido forum. I write to ask you to follow the rules of the forum and use your full name when you write posts. You can put your name (first name and family name, or initial and family name) in your signature, which appears at the bottom of your posts.

When you became a member of the forum you undertook to follow this rule, so please do so.

Best regards,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan