Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: My own and perfect sword art

Likes (received)

Rather than being an offshoot, it is my understanding that Matsumoto Bizen-no-kami-ki no Masamoto is believed to have studied with Iizasa Yamashiro-no-kami Choisai, the founder of Katori Shintoryu, among others - but it is very much it's own art with it's own creation myth, founded in 1450.

Check out "Legacies of the Sword", by Dr. Karl Friday - outstanding book.

Also:

http://www.kashima-shinryu.us/ and http://www.kashima-shinryu.jp/English/index.html
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Shimura
    By the way I thought the name of that sword style, one of the oldest extant in Japan and based around the Kashima shrine, was Katori Shinto Ryu.
    They are two separate shrines. Katori Ryu's deity is enshrined at Katori Shrine, and Kashima's at Kashima Shrine.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Thanks

Thanks for the clarification. I'll look at those links and study up of my various ryu-ha
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Mr Friday, no offence taken by your comment. I have read your book and I highly respect you.

I too am aware of the current situation, and I know what you mean by your post.

I shall not attempt the "foot in mouth" technique in my response as I do not really have the authority (or feel that I do) from my sensei to make any comments.

I have seen how threads get nasty in some other ebudo forums.

Please do not see this as my way of backing down from your comment. You are practicing your art and I'm practicing mine.

As to the name kashima shinryu, I guess that I shall do what my teacher has been told to do.

Although that does not clear up what you have said, I hope that this responce is some consolation.

I also hope that in the future, if I have to chance, I would be able to study under you also.

Dojo Chief Crash Test Dummy

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Shimura
    So really all he had was a smattering of sword work, which is probably about the same level he would get from just practicing aiki no ken.
    Gary, with all respects mate. But you don't know the situation and you may not have seen what is practiced either side of this "situation". Even I can't fully comment on it since I have only seen it from one side.

So I don't really think you can make the comment you did. I too can relate this to many of the heated debates on the baffling budo forum mainly surrounding the issues of "ninjutsu". I have posted my opinions on many of those treads, and I'd like to say that I never once made a comment about the abilities of those concerned since I do not know them.

I have however commented that it was strange. So therefore if you had called it strange, I'd be more accepting of it.

Cheers.

Ps. Tim, do you know of Alex Sahla sensei (kendo, iaido and jodo). Practiced with him last saturday and he did an excellent job of running me into the ground!
    Last edited by StanLee; 13th October 2003 at 09:39.

Likes (received)

I practice with Alex Sahla occasionally - we'll both be off to France in a few weeks to the Euro Iai/Jo Championships.

When you see him next, tell him Scott from Masamune says hi.
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Will do Scott!

Likes (received)

Default Point taken

I humbly apologize if anyone took direct offence to my comment. I wasn't out to smear anyone, nor do I enjoy doing such things to others. Perhaps I'm not fully aware of the "situation", I was merely making an educated guess. Next time I will glean the full story before commenting and hopefully make a response that will not cause me to insert my foot in my mouth. Best regards
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Gary, there really was no offence taken at all! This situation is something Dr Seki, Dr Friday and the forementioned prominent Aikidoka in Japan to sort out. Not for someone like me to make any comments or judgements on.

Cheers anyway.

Likes (received)

Stan,
    answer is probably yes I'll know his face, no I dont know his name as I have a really appalling memory for names! although it does seem to ring a bell...
    Its a shame that we argue over what is right and who does what on here sometimes... I dont mind having a go at the Mcdojos who are just downright dangerous, but if the student's heart is in the right place you should encourage, not knock people down. By all means try to get them to look at what seems to you to be a better way of doing things, perhaps they'll change, perhaps not.
    I had a major change some years ago when I first saw my current teacher do a demonstration. I knew there was something missing from my iaido practise, and watching him I thought I could see what it was. So I asked, and half an hour later my head was swimming with too much information. I still can't do it as well as him but at least I know what I am aiming for now!!

Tim Hamilton
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

I believe Alex Sahla sensei is rokudan iaido.

I also read somewhere that you practice sojutsu. Where about's do you practice it? I was interested in learning sojutsu a while back, so I'm just collecting info at the moment.

Likes (received)

Stan Lee:

I sent an e-mail message to you via the "virgin.net" address listed in your e-Budo.com profile. Did you receive it?
    William Bodiford
    Professor
    Dept. of Asian Languages & Cultures
    UCLA

Likes (received)

William,

Sorry, but I hardly check my virgin account. There must be at least over a 1000 unchecked messages there (due to the adverts being sent out)

If you wish to contact me, PM me and I'll give you my work address.

Hope I'm not in trouble for something that I've done...

Likes (received)

Although sojutsu is fascinating I've never had a chance to 'have a go'. Got quite a bit on tape form the last Kyoto taikai and some from NHK I taped over there from a MA programme. It seems to be one of the things that just hasn't made it to the UK yet on a serious basis, say like manrikigusari or tessen. Ive seen some tessen done here by kobudo guys but it wasnt very good compared to the real thing.
    The chain work was 'different' when done with a foam ball and a bit of washing line, although thinking about it who's going to be stupid enough to stand there while some maniac throws a steel ball at you at a hundred miles an hour! Sorry I've just thought of someone...me!

Tim Hamilton
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Chidokan
    The chain work was 'different' when done with a foam ball and a bit of washing line, although thinking about it who's going to be stupid enough to stand there while some maniac throws a steel ball at you at a hundred miles an hour!
    I saw a demo a few weeks ago where Phil Relnick and his wife demo'ed kusarigama; he with bokken, she with kusarigama of wood, "washing line," and foam. Fascinating demo, but I hope domestic violence never rears its ugly head at their house.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8