Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: My own and perfect sword art

Likes (received)

Talking Yes

God bless you David, you said it perfectly. But remember although you can lead a horse to water, he may not drink
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Figured since mine and Sharp Phil's somewhat derogatory posts were summarily deleted, I would offer to try and help. Wouldn't it be nice to see young fellows like this on the forum in a number of years bringing insightful posts (more than I could do) and securing the viability and transmission of a legitimate art for yet another generation? Very cool if someone just pointed his enthusiasm in the right direction.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Default Your right

Perhaps through our encouragement he may be motivated to become a great and productive fellow budoka oneday. That would be the best result of all this.
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Soulend
    Very cool if someone just pointed his enthusiasm in the right direction.
    Even cooler if his enthusiasm can actually translate into training. My experience with his type in our dojo is that they don't last long.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

Lightbulb From the Book of English Studies

"Seek ye first a Spell-checker for verily it is said that he who is able to spell accurately is taken more seriously by his bretheren. However he that cannot spell his way out of a paperbag shall remain in Darkness and, lo, the snickering behind his back shall follow him all the days of his life, even unto eternity."

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe and the biran fguiers it out aynawy.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

And why is it called a "Spell Checker" -- isn't that what a wizard would use?

When writing I want a "Spelling Checker."
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Wink thread drift

Dunno, I consider spelling and grammar checkers to be an evil of modern times, prompting people to be lazy and sloppy with things they author, and promoting ignorance. What ever happened to simply learning to spell, and being able to proof read your own stuff to identify errors? To me, it's faster just to read what I have written than run some program and clarify to it whether I mean "they're", "there" or "their". Oh, well, guess I'm an ol' curmudgeon.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

Sorry, Brian. I think I am dating myself. (--- gee, I hope I'm having a good time!) "Spell-Check" was a function on one of the early word-processing programs and I have gotten used to using that term to identify that particular function. The program itself--- which ever one it was---- may not even exist anymore. Probably off of a COMMODORE, or a FRANKLIN. Now THERE are some names out of the past. In fact, does anyone on here remember the OHIO SCIENTIFIC? How about that first TRS-80 with a whopping 8K of RAM! No kidding! 8K!! About the only game you could play was PONG but since that was pre-PAC-MAN I'll bet most folks have no idea what the hell I'm talking about . I probably need to close this out and get back to my rocking chair.

BTW: THIS old curmudgeon sides with David about the idea of not only know ones' spelling but having a decent grasp of grammar. I tried using the grammar option on my MS Word and simply could not stand the sterile syntax. Such a function would never have allowed me to use the idiom "gotten used to" per above. Get an education and let the machine correct each OTHERS' grammar. Maybe we can even program them to whack each other over the keyboard for bad penmanship!!

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Last edited by glad2bhere; 28th September 2003 at 22:57.
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

Go away kid. Learn to spell and maybe I'll take you seriously.

BTW does the word "troll" mean anything to you. Please don't dignify this idiot with replies fellas. You mean well but he's a twat/troll/annoying excuse for a human.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

Anyone, regardless of age, who would enter an MA forum with such a stupid post as young "Nicle" needs his headle readle.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

mech Guest

Post Sword Art?

What a Arrogance in this very tread! yuk

To me, this Sepitho could be a competent martial artist nor precisely a kid just testing the field here...

But in Such case teen Sepitho looking for orientation and wants to show everyone his "new" art, it is alright to say: go koryu, read Lowry, my female friends will teach you....

Read:

"The student was sent to a real sword master and presented this way: this is Mr Sepitho and have something to show you his very way of the sword"...
    S.K:.

Most probable he stayed with the master for several years "perfecting his own sword art"

Things like: what a ridiculous!, go away! troll, stupid post Means:

"I dont care how talented or gifted you can be, it have been too harsh for me to gain present abilty and also have taken me so much time So Fly Out"

MECH
    Manuel Chiquito Anderson
    Caracas, Venezuela

"Some Traditions never changes"

Likes (received)

Mech, how long have you been reading threads on ebudo. If the answer is not very long then I think that your comment is slightly wrong.

I say this because, there have enough threads on ebudo, especially on the sword arts forum; of "kids" claiming to be the ultimate swordsman, putting everyone elses down and just causing trouble.

Yes, this new guy has not done the above yet. But there have been many instances in the past of such incidences. Perhaps do a search on Rich deluca.

I totally agree that the kid needs orientation and wants confirmation of his art. But he has carried it out in a really untactful manner. Also, ebudo is full of stories of false claims and MA calling themselves soke. Just take a read on the baffling and bad budo section. I don't think that the motives of this kid is any different to those who make fraudulent outlandish claims. You are only backing his cause because of his young age and you maybe mistaking that with his innocence.

We are all too aware of people like this. Nutters roaming around with swords...

As an aside to niktle. I think you need your head screwed on properly. One does not go around just hacking at tin cans. I don't think you are cutting. I think you are butchering.

As many have said, find a good teacher and learn for a while. Only then would one perfect swordsmanship and make it their own.

Those swordsman of acient times perfected their techniques on a battlefield. Those who came back had good technique and taught it to others. Even though you said you fenced with others, were you doing it with complete conviction. Are you willing to actually kill your opponent and is your opponent trying to kill you.

One can no longer practice at death's door. We can come close to that feeling, the feeling of being killed in a conflict. But I think that feeling needs to be trained for. I am also not asking you to actually try to practice like that, because from the sound of things, your training partners seem to have less skill than you do.

But I do hope that you find what you are looking for.

All the best.

Dojo Chief Crash Test Dummy

Likes (received)

Originally posted by gendzwil
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe and the biran fguiers it out aynawy.
    What's spooky is that it didn't take me any longer to read this than it did the other posts. Freaky.

As to the rest, too easy.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

Dear Stan:

".....Those swordsman of acient times perfected their techniques on a battlefield. Those who came back had good technique and taught it to others. Even though you said you fenced with others, were you doing it with complete conviction. Are you willing to actually kill your opponent and is your opponent trying to kill you....."

Just for the record I wanted you to know that I am right there with you in your Spirit. I was thinking that this might also be a good time to mention that the idea of "perfecting" ones' swordsmanship was actually an uncommon activity even in times past.

The fact is that most armies were raised in relatively short time, say 90 days. The preponderance of folks used spears and swords but were given little more than orientation about how to move in groups. People who survived a series of battles or encounters probably learned through experience how to knit together the main points of what they had been taught initially. Retainers provided a corps or cadre around which to build military units, but the idea of an entire army of highly accomplished swordsmen is something of a stretch.

Now the only reason I am taking a moment to remind people of this reality is that our resident 15 y/o sword saint may be able to say that he has become familiar with his sword swinging it around and killing the odd 7-up can. This would be about where a lot of new recruits into an army of old would be on the eve of their first battle. Not a few of those soldiers would probably have been our sword saints' age-mates. Now, whether or not Mr. Perfect System would survive his first encounter and live long enough to polish the rough edges off his system is a matter of conjecture. I know quite a few students where I study who think that they would do pretty well under such circumstances simply because they are not half-bad hitting other guys with sticks once they have put their armour on.

So I guess I would have to say that I agree with you completely, but tend to feel the hair on the back of my neck stand-up if I think I smell romanticism creeping in. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast