Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: My own and perfect sword art

Likes (received)

My mother always told me that if there was something you didn't like, don't take notice of it and it'll eventually go away.

Or it'll form it's own renmei!

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Mark A. Carter
    A good ol' TRaSh-80? Sheesh those were the days - of course I was only 6 years old
    You making fun of an old man, you young whipper snapper? No ageist jokes allowed here!

And how come all of a sudden I'm listed as a "Senior Member" when I only joined this forum this month? I didn't list my date of birth for a reason!

Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

MartialArtist Guest

And have you decided what type of sword you are going to use?

A katana? A Claymore? Maybe a hand-and-half/bastard sword? Nordic broadsword? Rapier? A short sword like a gladius?

And after that, what subcategory? As you know, some Japanese styles call for different types of katanas. Classical rapier and knife fighting or classical fencing with a foil or a rapier is different from German fencing with a two-hander from the 15th century.

With form comes functionality.

Unless you invented a lightsaber...

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Charlie Kondek
    I don't buy it.

Is Niktle's name an anagram?

Got to be Ellis Amdur or Dave Lowry having us all on.
    My exact thoughts when I first saw his piss-taking spelling.

Who's got an eye for anagrams?

Can anyone check IP addresses?
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

A quick shunt through an anagram machine came up with:

KLITO THE PENIS

Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Default Good point

I liked the point Mr Han made on certain blades for certain types of requirements. I prime example concerning the Japanese sword would be the use of the Nodachi, which was primarily a battlefield weapon used to cut large swaths through enemy ranks or take out horses legs when in close quarters with cavalry. A bit of departure from either using a tachi or gatana, which were for more one on one, or horse mounted attacks on infantry. I would think the Nodachi is somewhat similar to the two handed swords used by the famous Landsknechts of the 1400-1500's perhaps? Any opinions.

Maybe this could be a new thread on the comparison of European and Asian sword arts similarities and differences? Enough talking about that young guy with the wrong ideas.
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Has anyone seen the hongkong movie "HERO"? It's said that good swordman can be judged from their caligraphy (chinese caligraphy). Well in this case, I guess you can judge from spelling.
    Umar Sesko A. Tri Hananto
    "high quality single man"
    "low profile but high product"

Likes (received)

Originally posted by ScottUK
    A quick shunt through an anagram machine came up with:

KLITO THE PENIS

Damn you, Klito! I swore I'd get even and this time I mean it!

:lol:
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

Default Re: Good point

Originally posted by Shimura
    I would think the Nodachi is somewhat similar to the two handed swords used by the famous Landsknechts of the 1400-1500's perhaps? Any opinions. Maybe this could be a new thread on the comparison of European and Asian sword arts similarities and differences? Enough talking about that young guy with the wrong ideas.
    I would have thought there would be no comparison whatsoever with these blades and the way they are used apart from similarity in length. They are used to cut from the draw also as a thrusting weapon. I would have thought that with many years of use that have developed into an art form the actual use is far more technical.

But there are some suprising similarities to Spanish fencing, Italian fiore and certain forms of Kenjutsu when one examines the general attitudes required to handle a sword such as speed, courage, prudence strength.

http://www.hyoho.com/Nkage1.html

Anyone who considers hacking away at cans with one of these should seek medical help.

Hyakutake Colin
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Lightbulb Don't hold mke to this.......

"......I would think the Nodachi is somewhat similar to the two handed swords used by the famous Landsknechts of the 1400-1500's perhaps? Any opinions.

Maybe this could be a new thread on the comparison of European and Asian sword arts similarities and differences? ....."

I could swear that an old issue of JAMA had exactly this kind of article comparing European Long Sword and Japanese Kenjustsu postures. Does anyone else remember this?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Originally posted by seskoad
    Has anyone seen the hongkong movie "HERO"? It's said that good swordman can be judged from their caligraphy (chinese caligraphy). Well in this case, I guess you can judge from spelling.
    Yes I have seen that movie. It was brillant! It is also true that caligraphy and swordwork is closely linked both in technique and maybe in thinking. But not having done caligraphy, I can't say how.

Surely there must be someone on ebudo that does that?

Dojo Chief Crash Test Dummy

MartialArtist Guest

Being of Korean descent, and with a very traditional family, I was taught caligraphy. Being the 1st generation to be born in the States, and mainly speaking and writing English outside the home, I wasn't very good.

Caligraphy shows you have fine wrist control. Fine motor control, yes, but in the terms of fencing, I don't think they are as related as everyone thinks it is.

What I believe is that there is a certain intelligence involved. Fencing is not a sport that is for dummies. Those who have the patience and the intelligence to do that type of stuff will have the patience and intelligence to fence. You also have to take in the cultural and historical aspects. Most great swordsmen were of a higher class with comparison to the common working man. Nobility or people of the warrior class usually were the ones taught swordsmanship and also had more chances of receiving an education.

mech Guest

Arrow

Quote,."Caligraphy shows you have fine wrist control. Fine motor control, yes, but in the terms of fencing, I don't think they are as related as everyone thinks it is." MA

.-Im sorry I disagree here, but it goes far beyond the wrist control if it is your desire to understand this properly,

It goes to the matter to :

"know how to express one's directly"

"How to bring from the no form to the form in a correct manner"

"Teach how to work properly the mind and the no mind"

and many others.

Mech
    Manuel Ch. A.

Likes (received)

A few years ago there was a Japanese Culture exhibit that I went to, in order to see the Iaido demo.

While there I also watched a calligraphy demo. Not writing small kanji on piece of note paper, but great big, artistic characters on poster sized paper.

The calligrapher approached the blank piece of paper and addressed it, adjusting his stance. Then in one quick fluid motion he dipped his brush and without hesitation made the character.

One moment of indecision, one mistaken movement, and all would have been lost. Any bit of self-doubt or timidity, and all present would have known.

But none of that was in this man. I can't read Japanese, so have no idea what he wrote, but even to me the difference between his calligraphy and those of his students was obvious. It was bold; decisive.

A connection between calligraphy and swordsmanship? I think so.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Mekugi Guest

OHh man this is some of the funniest crap I have read in a long time. The funniest thing is you'all antogonize this young buck to edukate uz. Maybe if he tries to cut something that is living, say a pig or a cow, his mind will change about "who da masta!" (sho'nuff)

Kudos.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast