Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shorinji Ryu - Kori Hisataka - Any relationship to Shorinji Kempo?

rsusanto Guest

Default Shorinji Ryu - Kori Hisataka - Any relationship to Shorinji Kempo?

I found several websites in the net, mostly Shorinji Ryu Karate related websites, that mention about Kori Hisataka being the kempo instructor of So Doshin.

I don't know a lot about Shorinji Ryu Karate to compare the 2 arts. But, I thought our arts is closer 'related' to the shorinji martial arts from China (one of the branches).

Anybody know about the history/background of this?

Thanks,
    Richard
    Ex Kenshi

Likes (received)

Gassho,

It was my understanding that So Doshin had many different instructors in various branches of chinese martial arts, and so you can't really say that any one man was his instructor. This man may have taught him; i do not know, although someone else may. Also, what do you mean by Kempo? So Doshin founded Shorinji Kempo and so would not have an instructor in that style. Maybe you should make you question clearer!

Kesshu
    Robert Dawson

Southampton University Shorinji Kempo Club
    http://www.soton.ac.uk/~shkempo/

shugyosha Guest

shorinji ryu karate is not related to shorinji kempo directly or inderectly, i've read a book about it, and talk with some practitioner, this art was founded previous shorinji kempo of course influensed by shaolin but the founder never been to shaoling or never train shaoling quan.
    the main ressemblence is the use of vertical fist, exepct for that, this is pure karate.

i dont know about Kori Hisataka, maybe a graded instrutor moving to a more karate style.
    anyway shorinji kempo can not have influence shorinji ryu karate because it is posterior to it, if i remember well.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by shugyosha
    anyway shorinji kempo can not have influence shorinji ryu karate because it is posterior to it, if i remember well.
    Ummmm, I think that Jimi means that Shorinji Kempo came after Shorinji Ryu Karate........

So basically, apart from similarity of the name there is really no true connection.
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org