Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 18th Tai Kyoku Ken Taikai

T'ai Ji Monkey Guest

Thumbs up 18th Tai Kyoku Ken Taikai

Hi All.

Posting this here as it is not JMA related and thus does not fit into the seminar forum.

The 18th Tai Ji Quan Annual meeting will be held at the 1st Sports Arena in Harajuku next to Yoyogi-Park and NHK-Hall on the 26th/Oct./2003

Event starts at 9:30 and will keep going till the evening. Entrance is free for spectators.

A variety of styles will be shown and I think some of my styles students will also compete.

Yours truly will be part of the Chen TJQ Small Frame demo, one of about 200 people, sometime in the afternoon haven't got finalised schedule yet.

Hope to see some of you guys there

Likes (received)

How to I sign up to compete?
    Daniel Madar

T'ai Ji Monkey Guest

Originally posted by Silent Dan
    How to I sign up to compete?
    I think best is if you call the number given on the flyer for inquiries as to the program.

Here it is: 03-3814-676
    Only contact info I can see on the flyer.

Some students from my kwoon will also be competing again this year.

Cheers.

T'ai Ji Monkey Guest

I got a number of the flyers so if anybody wants one, I can either mail them or we can meet and I can hand them over.

Looks pretty much the same as the one for last year.

Likes (received)

Can you meet quickly some evening? Alex is just starting to walk, and I try to spend as much time at home as possible.
    Daniel Madar

T'ai Ji Monkey Guest

Can you meet quickly some evening? Alex is just starting to walk, and I try to spend as much time at home as possible.
    I am sure that we can arrange something. Wednesdays are out though.

I also open now sundays except for the 19th(last rehearsal for the demo).

I guess he has become quiet cute by now and easier to handle.

Likes (received)

Cute yes, easier to handle, no. Alex likes to run fast, crawl fast, and grab and throw things...

This weekend I am busy, and next week I am in the states from the 12th-19th.
    Daniel Madar

T'ai Ji Monkey Guest

Cute yes, easier to handle, no. Alex likes to run fast, crawl fast, and grab and throw things...
    I see the breakable things have started to shift higher already.

This weekend I am busy, and next week I am in the states from the 12th-19th.
    I am off Thursday and Friday this week, maybe we can also meet around noon or something.

You still got my Cel-number I guess.

T'ai Ji Monkey Guest

Countdown has started.

The Event will be held upcoming Sunday (26th/Oct).
    Event schedule is as follows:
    09:30: Open
    09:45: Start For Competitions.
    (24/48/42 forms, traditional forms, weapon forms)
    12:30: Exhibition start.
    (Guest visitors from China most likely will also perform a few forms)

Come down and watch, entrance is free.
    Also a perfect opportunity for imbibing a few beers afterwards.

If you find your way there say "Hi" to yours truly.
    I will be in the Chen TJQ Small Frame section.

One word of caution due to a spade of thefts at previous events a new procedure has been introduced.
    Everybody needs to wear a yellow ribbon, you should be able to get yours at the entrance where you need to register your name and address.

If someone is in need I got 2 spare ribbons and can supply them if someone gives me a shout on my Cel-phone.

There are a few methods to get to the venue:
    1.) From harajuku go either via Yoyogi koen and go across first bridge than turn left or walk along the road and cross via pedestrian bridge.
    2.) From Shibuya either walk up or take the NHK Bus to the NHK hall and walk the difference.

Hope to see you there.

P.S.: I will be in demo rehearsal from 11:00 onwards.

T'ai Ji Monkey Guest

Here is a rather amusing incident that happened last Sunday in connection with the Event.

On Sunday everybody that partakes in the event(Competitors and people that will do one of the 2 demoes) had a rehearsal.

Now my little son(age 3) had never seen me do the "Hu-ha thingy"(his words) so the whole family came along for the rehearsal.

At the start we lined up in formation for the demo and had barely begun the form when this little voice pipes up:
    "Mommy, they are all very good?"
    Which of course was answered by chuckles from all of us.

Pitty, he got a bit scared when we performed the stomps during the form, but then he was only sitting a few feet aware from us on the floor.

Afterwards he said to me that he would like to learn to do TJQ but he is worried had he can't do the stomping well.

Gotta love the little ones and the comments/remarks that they come up with.

Likes (received)

I will talk to the wife about making it, but truthfully the last one was insufferably boring and I left after about 20 minutes. Good luck!
    Daniel Madar

T'ai Ji Monkey Guest

I will talk to the wife about making it, but truthfully the last one was insufferably boring and I left after about 20 minutes. Good luck!
    My Family won't be along, they got alternate engagements for the day.

I might skip most of the PRC form competitions, will try to watch the traditional & weapon sections though as we got guys in there.

BTW, Mat the WC guy from KFM will also be there and a Mantis guy also said he will try to pop in.

For me the real interesting part will be after lunch.
    BTW, I am stuck there from 08:30am onwards till we leave for the "entertainment" after the event.