Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best Karate Gi's?

S.Jubei Guest

Default Whats the best Karate Gi's?

Hey all

I have been looking into getting a new Gi.
    I do Shotokan Karate.

I thought i would go ALL out on this new Gi as i think there worth the investment. They last for years so they may aswell be comfortable and strong for an extra few Buks.

So any reccomendations?
    The one that i think looks most suitable so far is the Japanese Cut champion Gi by Adidas. These Gi's look Supreme and look like they will be real fun to use.

Any other thoughts?

S.Jubei

Gene Williams Guest

I have alternated between Tokaido, Toyo, and Shureido. I can't see that Shureido is of any better quality than the others to justify the higher price. My last several gi have been Tokaido. I train 3-4 days a week, hard, and a gi lasts me a couple of years but starts to show some wear after a year. I don't like to wear thread bare gi or I could probably get more time out of it.

Likes (received)

Default Tokaido still fits the best

http://www.tokaidojapan.com/index.html

I think tokaido still does the best out of the bunch.

Likes (received)

I agree, 100% with Tokaido. I have used them exclusively for over 20 years. They last, if taken care of properly and fit very well. Personally, in the care of the Tokaido, get the size you want, wash it so it shrinks - as it will, then never put it in the dryer again. Be careful with bleach, it tends to weaken the fabric. Just my thoughts. Asian World of Martial Arts carries them and wholesale they run about $125. When I first started buying them, they cost about $50. Well worth the money though.
    Leslie M.Graham

Likes (received)

Cool Meijin

I have owned Tokaido, Kamikaze, and (yuk)Macho.
    I love my Meijin! They cost about $100usd. They wear very well and will last.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

S.Jubei Guest

Hmm everyone seems to be pointing to Tokaido.
    Has anyone here ever used or know how good the addidas Gi's are?
    I just wanna hear someones opinion on them.

Cheers for the info tho
    S.Jubei

Likes (received)

Adidas Gi's?

If you want quality, buy not from a sports shop, but from a supplier who actually does the martial art in question; I do Shorinji Kempo, the best Gi's are those made by companies set up by Shorinji Kempo kenshi, as they know what to do to make them the best.
    Robert Dawson

Southampton University Shorinji Kempo Club
    http://www.soton.ac.uk/~shkempo/

Likes (received)

Wink Addidas.......if you like paper

Many on my Dojo Kumite team and the USAKF and USANKF teams have gone over to the super lite weight Addidas Gis.
    From what I've seen they are not meant for dailly training. They are very thin/lite and don't seem to hold up well.
    But I must admit I have not owned one.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

I've owned several 'student' dogi's (the less said about them, the better), a Century middleweight dogi (felt almost as thin and flimsy as my student dogi), and 3 Mikado gi's.

I haven't had the opportunity (yet) to try out a Tokaido or a Juko, but I am very happy with the quality of the Mikado. Fits very nice, minimal shrinkage after the first wash, and very strong construction.

I have also been looking at Kamikaze/Arawaza gi's, but I don't know of anyone who has purchased one.
    Ron Rompen
    Goju Ryu
    Kitchener, Ont

Likes (received)

by all means the dogi of dogis is the Kempo dogi there indestructable

right up there is the proforce 14 oz brushed canvas ultra heavy weight with the gold and black tag the most comfortable uniform i'v ever used

a realy good top is the proforce randori gi those will never ever ever rip on you
    Joel Habbershaw

Kimpatsu Guest

Default Re: Whats the best Karate Gi's?

Originally posted by S.Jubei
    I have been looking into getting a new Gi.
    Which regiment? Do you like 'em big and hunky, or slender and naïf? Blond, dark, or redheaded with freckles? And do you intend to trade him for your current one?

Likes (received)

Default Dragon Brand

I have always liked Dragon Brand, but these days they are calling themselves Jukado. Good material, good fit, and a size chart that beats anybody!
    Steve Botelho

-Knowing enough to keep my mouth shut-most of the time...

Likes (received)

Can't believe nobody responded to that yet, Tony.

I had to read it TWICE before I got it (its been a long day, and I am heading down to Walton Ky again tomorrow, so it's not getting any shorter)

Now that I got it, I laughed till I fell out of the chair. When I came to the 'redhead with freckles' I pictured Richie Cunningham in urban BDU's
    Ron Rompen
    Goju Ryu
    Kitchener, Ont

Kimpatsu Guest

Thank you, Ron. Subtlty is my middle name...

Gene Williams Guest

You misspelled "subtlety." You do not even know your middle name.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast