Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best Karate Gi's?

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by Gene Williams
    You misspelled "subtlety." You do not even know your middle name.
    No, I mistyped "subtlety".
    And at least I know my father's name, Gene. Do you?

S.Jubei Guest

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    No, I mistyped "subtlety".
    And at least I know my father's name, Gene. Do you?
    Hey, No need for that!

Anyway on the subject of Gi and the joke you made im still a begginer in my view and dont realy know my terms very well. In my club my instructor calls it a Gi.
    If you would like to correct me and tell me the real word for it and explain then please do. That way i can go and correct my Teacher hehe.

Likes (received)

He said "Gi," not "G.I."

Being a former G.I. myself (U.S. Air Force) I got it right away.

And for everyone else; the plural of "gi" is "gi" or "gis." "Gi's" is possesive. "Of all my gis, my Tokaido gi's fit and finish seemed the best."

I also like Juka, but I'm biased. They used to be based here in town (but moved to California), and my old karate sensei was a cover model on their catalog.

Has any one out there tried Bugin Design's gi? They tout a "Cool Mesh" fabric liner that is supposed to make them the most comfortable gi out there, but they are a bit pricey.
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 4th October 2003 at 10:46.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

The "Gi" debate has raged here before.....

See this thread for the full story......
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Gene Williams Guest

Actually, there are no plurals in Japanese...gi=1gi, gi=100 gi.

PS...NEVER say gi around Tony Kehoe unless you are prepared for an avalanche of bull feces

Likes (received)

Post Gi

Tony not to be rude, but the dogi or gi debate is getting old.

Its like automoblie or car? They mean the same thing, but automoblie the correct trem. Gun a.k.a firearm.

Some people just like using short terms.

I don't mean to be rude but if I am I sorry.
    Train hard and you shall get what you trained for...

Aaron Young
    Shotokan

Likes (received)

Addidas Karate Elite is my favorite. I have three of them.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Actually, there are no plurals in Japanese...gi=1gi, gi=100 gi.
    That is, of course, correct; which is why I gave both "gi" and "gis" as plurals. I prefer the Japanese "gi," but since the word has been adopted into the English language (it's in several dictionaries) some people use "gis." To each his own.

PS...NEVER say gi around Tony Kehoe unless you are prepared for an avalanche of bull feces [/B]
    I think he actually gave in (reluctantly) in another thread when someone pointed out that "gi" was now in the Oxford dictionary.
    It was a noble fight, but all for naught.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
    He said "Gi," not "G.I."
    What's the difference? One's a gi, the other's not a word.
    And for everyone else; the plural of "gi" is "gi" or "gis." "Gi's" is possesive. "Of all my gis, my Tokaido gi's fit and finish seemed the best."
    This sentence makes no sense. The plural of gi may be gis, as in "there are many soldiers", but the plural of dogi is still dogi, the same as the plural of sheep is sheep.
    One would think you don't even speak Japanese...

Kimpatsu Guest

Default Re: Gi

Originally posted by shotofan
    Tony not to be rude, but the dogi or gi debate is getting old
    Then why don't you use the correct Japanese, after I've told you like... a zillion times?!
    And Gene: +Like I said, I know the name of my father; do you?

Likes (received)

One would think you don't even speak Japanese...

Never said I did. But I speak English quite well, thank you.

That is, of course, correct; which is why I gave both "gi" and "gis" as plurals. I prefer the Japanese "gi," but since the word has been adopted into the English language (it's in several dictionaries) some people use "gis." To each his own.

Respectfully,
    Brian "The Word Warrior" Owens

Likes (received)

What's the difference? One's a gi, the other's not a word.

This sentence makes no sense. The plural of gi may be gis, as in "there are many soldiers", but the plural of dogi is still dogi, the same as the plural of sheep is sheep.
    No sense? Maybe you played with "gi Joe" action figures as a boy (gee joe), but the boys I knew had "GI Joes" (jee eye joes). "Gi" is an anglicized Japanese word. "GI" or "G.I." is an acronym for "Government Issue." Acronyms are written in all upper case. One would think you don't speak English.

And while the plural of sheep is sheep, and the plural of fish is fish (unless you're talking about multiple species, then it's fishes), the plural of cow is cows, the plural of car is cars, etc.

And the whole point of my post was that apostrophy es makes possesives or contractions, not plurals. I grew up in the ' 60s, not the 60's; I have a collection of CDs, not CD's; and I don't want to get into a battle of intellects, not intellect's, lest I seem to be taking advantage of an unarmed man.

Besides, I have to take a shower and shave now, so I can go to work.

--Brian "Dirty/Hairy" Owens
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 5th October 2003 at 22:13.

S.Jubei Guest

Originally posted by Prince Loeffler
    Addidas Karate Elite is my favorite. I have three of them.
    FINALLY !!!!!
    Someone answers my question!

Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshin
    No sense? Maybe you played with "gi Joe" action figures as a boy (gee joe), but the boys I knew had "GI Joes" (jee eye joes). "Gi" is an anglicized Japanese word. "GI" or "G.I." is an acronym for "Government Issue." Acronyms are written in all upper case. One would think you don't speak English.

And while the plural of sheep is sheep, and the plural of fish is fish (unless you're talking about multiple species, then it's fishes), the plural of cow is cows, the plural of car is cars, etc.

And the whole point of my post was that apostrophy es makes possesives or contractions, not plurals. I grew up in the ' 60s, not the 60's; I have a collection of CDs, not CD's; and I don't want to get into a battle of intellects, not intellect's, lest I seem to be taking advantage of an unarmed man.

Besides, I have to take a shower and shave now, so I can go to work.
    Nicely said. I will like to see an answer from kimpatsu now

Kimpatsu Guest

Given that I'm typing in English, that point is moot. "Gi" is not a word; if you're going to write Japanese, it should be correct Japanese. Don't you think so? Put another way, I've already told you what the correct word is. So why are you so perverse as not to use it?

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by Kenzo
    Is OUS (OSU) a word?
    Yes; "osu" means"push".
    But I take it you're really referring to the salaryman's grunt, "osss", a lazy contraction of Ohayo gozaimasu. I have no idea why karateka also use it; perhaps a practicing karateka can enlighten us...?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast