Likes Likes:  0

Thread: budo as mikkyo

Likes (received)

Default budo as mikkyo

It is well-known that within certain ryuha, there are links with esoteric Buddhism. But could (non-sportive) budo itself be considered a form of mikkyo?
    Ted Taylor

"A martial spirit embiggens the smallest man."

Likes (received)

For O'Sensei Richard Kim, kata was certainly mikkyo.
    "Fear, not compassion, restrains the wicked."

Likes (received)

Hi all,

Ted asks:

"could (non-sportive) budo itself be considered a form of mikkyo?"

I really don't think so.
    a)Mikkyo is a very particular formulation of Buddhism.
    b)The vast majority of modern budo has very little to do with mikkyo. If anything their influences move towards zen.
    c) "Mikkyo" means secret teachings. The secrets are revealed only to those who are members of('indoctrinated' is a loaded word though I am tempted to use it) the tradition. Modern budo does not (or extremely rarely) function within these forms of organization. True, kata hold many 'secrets,' but these are different than what is meant by mikkyo.
    When these 'secrets' are revealed (for example in the few but growing number of books available) they make little sense to one who is outside the tradition (f.e. they are often abstract metaphors).

Maybe most importantly to my mind however is that "mikkyo" means something very particular and to broaden its use in this way serves to empty the term of any real content.

Regards,
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca

freedom_fighter Guest

[edited due to non-signing of posts]

Likes (received)

freedom_fighter

I said I would watch you.

If you have a memory problem (forgeting to sign things) then click the bit at the top of the page that says "user cp"

Then click the bit that says "edit profile"

Then add your name in the box that says "signature"

Then click the bit at the bottom that says "submit changes".

Then you don't have to forget again.
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

It is well-known that within certain ryuha, there are links with esoteric Buddhism. But could (non-sportive) budo itself be considered a form of mikkyo?
    Hmm I don't know how much Budo you will find in the Dainichi-Kyo the core of Shingon-Su mikkyo.Non sportive Budo could be mikkyo if it followed mikkyo dogma(which it doesn't)

When these 'secrets' are revealed (for example in the few but growing number of books available
    There are a couple of good translations in english if you read Japanese then get the sutras in there Japanese.However,most esoteric priest are corupt and out to make a quick buck.

-Chihiro Jonesone

Likes (received)

Aloha,

You could say that priests of any tradition are out to make a quick buck, depending on the various services that they offer...but that's another discussion. The few Shingon priests that I am friends with are quite sincere.

I doubt any Budo traditions would be associated with Mikkyo. Most Budo are concerned with the "-do" suffix, as in following a particular way to improve your self. Not that Mikkyo doesn't improve the self, however, most koryu linked to Mikkyo did so because of the claimed "here-and-now" benefits of utilizing such practices. If you can execute a mudra or mantra on the battlefield that will help you defeat your enemies through some sort of divine intervention, then hey, that's better than sticking your head out in front of a blade! The older arts had a reason to embrace Mikkyo. They wanted the benefits of esoteric knowledge to accompany them to the battlefield. In my opinion, most Budo are not so oriented towards the battlefield tactics, as they are more concerned with making good people. I hope that made sense.
    Regards,
    Joel

Isaiah 6:8